Thread: Tom Lehrer

• So!

Tom Lehrer

Anybody heard of this guy? A friend of mine sent me a couple of his songs and I have to say they're really good. He's known for doing novelty songs, which include: New Math, The Elements, and Oedipus Rex, and others. I don't know many more, I only got sent those three, but I was wondering if anybody here has heard of him. So?

• Functional & Decorative

Re: Tom Lehrer

He's pretty famous, in an underground kind of way. Generally liked by the same people who are into Monty Python. Some of his stuff was played on Dr. Demento. His most famous songs are Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, and Masochism Tango. Classics, all.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Vatican Rag is one of my favorites. The two listed above are also very funny.

and Monty Python just rules.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Doing it with a flair

Tom Lehrer is great..I first heard him back in high school when my science teacher played us the Element song.
    Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
    I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
    ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

Definitely. Love the element song.

I saw a local production that was a performance piece set to his music. The music was really good; the performance was... local.

One of my favorites is "The Wild West is where I wanna be," all about the government testing nuclear devices in the desert.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

This goes back a few years! I remember Tom Lehrer from about 30-40 years ago when he was on a popular "alternative news" type TV show called "That Was The Week That Was." (or TW3) I always thought the Vatican Rag was an irreverant classic.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.