BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Robert Downey, Jr. is 'Sherlock Holmes'

Downey Jr. set for 'Sherlock Holmes'

'Iron Man' actor cast in WB, Guy Ritchie drama

Downey Jr.

By Michael Fleming
    Variety
    July 9, 2008

In what will be his first job since the blockbuster "Iron Man," Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in "Sherlock Holmes," the drama that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros.

Downey committed to the pic, which begins shooting in October, after Ritchie turned in a polish of a script written by Anthony Peckham.

Lionel Wigram and Dan Lin are producing with Susan Downey and Joel Silver will be executive producer.

Much the way that "Iron Man" launched Downey as an action star, "Sherlock Holmes" will also take advantage of his physical skills as the character displays brawn as well as brains.

The basis for the film is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic tales, but also the comicbook "Sherlock Holmes." With Downey aboard, the film will go into production before a comedy that just coalesced at Columbia Pictures, with Sacha Baron Cohen playing Holmes, and Will Ferrell playing his crime-fighting partner, Dr. Watson.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Oo-de-lally

Re: Robert Downry, Jr. is 'Sherlock Holmes'

Guy Ritchie is an amazing. I love his movies. Snatch is one of my top 10 favorite movies. I think that Robert Downey Jr will be great. I really enjoyed his preformance in David Finchers "Zodiac" ( also in my top 10 movies ). I have read a lot about how Guy Ritchie is going to make this movie and it sounds so good. He makes Sherlock super intelligent like in the books but also shows how he has great skills in boxing and sword fighting. I hope that this movie does well.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

At 16, my aunt gave me a leather-bound Sherlock Holmes text.

I fell in love with Holmesian England. It was, technically, my first taste of fandom. Dressed up like the old bean for Halloween. Stuff like that.

But I must admit, this is my hearing of this. I like to think I have high standards. I'll see this version of the tales before seeing anything with Will Farrell.

Thanks for this info!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Anyone remember the comedy Holmes movie "Without A Clue" made sometime in the 80's? Not an Oscar contender of any kind, but a fun take on the Holmes/Watson story...with us discovering that Holmes is actually the dim bulb of the team, with Watson being the great mind and detective, only using Holmes as a sort of front man for the books and press, so that Watson won't be bothered by the public and such.

Michael Caine played the bumbling, boozing, and lecherous Sherlock, with Ben Kingsley as the straight-laced brainiac Watson. Was pretty funny.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Anyone remember the comedy Holmes movie "Without A Clue" made sometime in the 80's? Not an Oscar contender of any kind, but a fun take on the Holmes/Watson story...with us discovering that Holmes is actually the dim bulb of the team, with Watson being the great mind and detective, only using Holmes as a sort of front man for the books and press, so that Watson won't be bothered by the public and such.

Michael Caine played the bumbling, boozing, and lecherous Sherlock, with Ben Kingsley as the straight-laced brainiac Watson. Was pretty funny.
    I remember that movie, had to see that one too. I was a bit mad at them making fun of my icon. I was younger then. In retrospect, is there anything that Ben Kingsley cannot do? The man is amazing!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Good Thoughts, Inc. CEO

I remember seeing Without a Clue in the theatre! Lots of fun! I love the way Guy Ritchie tells a story and I'll watch anything Robert Downey, Jr. does, even if he just sat in a chair and read a book. The combination of him and Ritchie I think is going to make for a brilliant film! Can't wait!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Coming attractions: Sherlock Holmes? Ritchie's on the case

Updated 17h 24m ago

ReutersRitchie: The case of the busy director.

By Susan Wloszczyna
    USA TODAY

Movies

Guy Ritchie's latest gangster yarn, RocknRolla, won't even be in theaters for another six weeks, but he already has turned his attentions to his next project, a version of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes for contemporary tastes.

"It will be a very big production, visceral and intellectual," Ritchie says. "His brilliance will percolate into the action."

The expected 2010 Warner release will be set in the olden days, he says, but the emphasis will be as much on Holmes' physical prowess as it is on his keen powers of deduction.

"His intellect was as much of a curse as it was a blessing," Ritchie says. "He was a deeply layered character."

No word on the villain yet, but there will be a love interest based on Conan Doyle's Irene Adler. Casting is expected to be finished in six or so weeks.

Ritchie already has been lucky to snag Robert Downey Jr., hot off of this summer's Iron Man and Tropic Thunder, as his lead.

"His wife, Susan, was a producer on RocknRolla, and he was one of the first people who saw it and was a big fan," the filmmaker explains. "He wanted to do something together, and this was a natural." As for Downey's English accent, "it's flawless."

Ritchie has no worries about producer Judd Apatow's competing Sherlock Holmes with Sacha Baron Cohen. As he says: "They don't even have a script yet. We are way ahead."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/2008-08...ractions_N.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Posted: Thurs., Sep. 18, 2008, 9:00pm PT

Jude Law in talks for 'Sherlock'

Actor may join Downey Jr. in Ritchie's drama

Law

By Michael Fleming
    Variety

Jude Law is negotiating to join Robert Downey Jr.. in "Sherlock Holmes," the drama that Guy Ritchie will direct for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures.

Law is expected to close a deal shortly to play Watson, the super-sleuth's sidekick.

Joel Silver, Lionel Wigram, Susan Downey and Dan Lin are producing. Production begins early next month in London.

The film will incorporate the classic tales written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as well as the comic book "Sherlock Holmes." Studio is still casting some of the principal roles, including the villain, Blackwood.
    Entertainment news, movie reviews, awards, festivals, celebrity photos, industry events - Variety

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Robert Downey, Jr. is 'Sherlock Holmes'

I LOVED Guy Ritchie's first movie (Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels). It's one of my favorites, and one of those movies I NEED to watch every few months, just because. Snatch was 'almost' as good. Didn't see the Madonna one a she ruins anything she touches (even good directors). Hope he can do this justice and keep her out of it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Lock' was such a terrific film, 'Snatch' was just fun. His latest, 'RocknRolla' w/ Gerard Butler (!) looks amazing. Somehow I get the idea that Mrs. Richie won't be joining the dream cast that they're putting together for 'Sherlock'.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Sherlock Holmes Begins Production in London

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures
    October 2, 2008

Principal photography is set to begin on location in London for the action adventure mystery Sherlock Holmes, being helmed by acclaimed filmmaker Guy Ritchie (RocknRolla), for Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures.

Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) brings the legendary detective to life as he has never been portrayed before. Jude Law stars as Holmes' trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams stars as Irene Adler, the only woman ever to have bested Holmes and who has maintained a tempestuous relationship with the detective. Mark Strong stars as their mysterious new adversary, Blackwood. Kelly Reilly will play Watson's love interest, Mary.

Based on an original story/comic book by Lionel Wigram, inspired by the classic tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the film will be produced by Joel Silver, Lionel Wigram, Susan Downey and Dan Lin. Steve Clark-Hall and Bruce Berman are serving as executive producers.

In a dynamic new portrayal of Conan Doyle's famous characters, Sherlock Holmes sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

"What we've done is hopefully launched a franchise of Sherlock Holmes stories," Silver said today in London.

Sherlock Holmes will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.
    Sherlock Holmes Begins Production in London - ComingSoon.net

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    And look what he is holding in his hand. It seems the production company likes to support companies that like to waste water.