View Poll Results: Which lesser Disney aniamted movie do you consider under-rated?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Black Cauldron

3 3.49%
  • The Great Mouse Detective

15 17.44%
  • Oliver and Company

9 10.47%
  • The Rescuers Down Under

9 10.47%
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame

23 26.74%
  • Atlantis

6 6.98%
  • Treasure Planet

7 8.14%
  • Brother Bear

7 8.14%
  • Home on the Range

0 0%
  • Another

7 8.14%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Overlooked Animated Disney Classics

How many times have we seen the Disney Company label something a 'Classic' when it clearly is not? Every new animated release becomes 'Disney's _th Animated Classic' regardless of it's quality or popularity.

However although many of Disney's animated movies can rightly be called classics, there is another group of movies that are very good but which were either never taken to the public's heart, or which haven't had a lasting appeal.

I have chosen nine such movies and ask you which one you think is under-rated (or tell me which one I've missed off the list!).
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Re: Overlooked Animated Disney Classics

I thought The Rescuers was over rated. I feel that the sequel was a better film over all, in look, in voice, and in animation. Plus I think it's the first Disney film to use PIXARS CAPS technology.

• Oo-de-lally

The Great Mouse Detective is a great movie. I just watched it recently on cable. I had not seen it in years. When I started watching it I remembered what a great movie it really was. I hope that one day they put out a special edition DVD. Oliver And Company is another great movie. I saw that at a drive in with my parents back when it first came out. I really enjoyed the songs in that movie. As for the rest on this list they are all good movies and it is sad that some of them have been forgotten over the years.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a beautiful movie in both story and music. It's my favorite Disney Animated film, actually.

Also, Atlantis and Brother Bear I felt were strong in their own right, and Treasure Planet, with the exception of Dr. Doppler, was a great film. Long John Silver is a great character depicted wonderfully in this film. They may not be "classics" but they are entertaining and I will still pop them in my DVD player from time to time.

Another consideration is Fantasia 2000. While it didn't live up to its predecessor by far, still has some great moments, especially Rhapsody in Blue and Carnival of the Animals.

I have a habit of liking the movies other people don't, but it's my opinion so it's ok.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a beautiful movie in both story and music. It's my favorite Disney Animated film, actually.
    I was just going to say that Yoyo. In fact, I'll put that soundtrack against any of the newer movies. Simple wonderful.

The problem with Hunchback, is that it tries to be two things it can't be easily. A dark mature drama, and a light funny romp. Certain things about it frustrate me, because it's so close to making it work.

The musical number with the gargoyles so late in the film is way out of place. Frollo seems neutered as the religious elements of his position are glossed over and left ambiguous, and of course the most expected change that Esmeralda lives.

I agree that it has some of the best music of any Disney film (Frollo's number revealing his lust for Esmeralda shows just how good the whole film could have been)

• Lady & The Tramp

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    The problem with Hunchback, is that it tries to be two things it can't be easily. A dark mature drama, and a light funny romp. Certain things about it frustrate me, because it's so close to making it work.

The musical number with the gargoyles so late in the film is way out of place. Frollo seems neutered as the religious elements of his position are glossed over and left ambiguous, and of course the most expected change that Esmeralda lives.

I agree that it has some of the best music of any Disney film (Frollo's number revealing his lust for Esmeralda shows just how good the whole film could have been)
    I totally agree with you, its a movie that brings two meanings to it. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I do think that its so under-rated because of what the movie is trying to be. But I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it a couple years ago.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post

I agree with this, especially the gargoyles, who are WAY out of place. However, I think that the rest of the film more than makes up for it. What's funny is that when it first came out, I read a newspaper review of it, which gave it one and a half stars, and the writer claimed the best part of the movie was the song the gargoyles sang, "A Guy like You." Needless to say, I don't think that reviewer knew what he or she was talking about.

I don't think the gargoyles themselves are out of place, on the contrary they provide Quasi with other characters to talk to and relate too (instead of a lot of monologues in the bell tower) and most of the comic relief, but the song they sing is so late int he film that it doesn't work. I know that it's put their to lighten the mood for the younger ones in the audience as by that point of the film it's pretty bleak for everyone involved, and since it's a foregone conclusion that Disney would not let Esmeralda die (as they didn't let Ariel die in The Little Mermaid) the song is unnecessary.

• Senior Minion

Hunchback is also my under-rated classic. I saw it shortly after my first trip to Paris (I visited the cathedral whilst there) which goes a little wayas to maybe why I love it so.
    The tone is beautiful and it does not ever patronise its audience. And I actually like the gargoyles' 'Eleven O'Clock Number'!
    This is the next movie that Disney on Broadway should look at. It actually did get put on stage in Germany and a cast recording (in German) is one of my Disney 'Holy Grails'.
    Shame about the sequel.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Circle of Ancients

I think the only "Classic" disney animated movie I can't stand is Home on the Range.

There are levels of appreciation for a lot of the movies on that list.

The ones I really do enjoy though are Hunchback, Atlantis and Treasure Planet.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

My vote goes to Hunchback as well. I love it. Although... when I first saw it, I was very confused. I thought "wait... was this rated G?" And then I watched it again. And again. And again. I saw it a total of 4 times in the theater! It's incredible. It's one of my favorites.

And like Aashee said, the score, music... it's hard to beat. They were completely ignored come oscar time and I actually think it was the best music done up until that point.

::sniff::

at last I have found my hunchback brethren.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fortuosity!

The Great Mouse Detective by far. I adore that film (2nd favorite animated and 4th favorite overall Disney film) and I know lots of other people who enjoy it and say they grew up watching that film and was a favorite in their childhood. I wish Disney would actually realize this instead of just ignoring this and other films. The Aristocats is a good example of Disney turning something obscure into something quite marketable. Why can't they try that with other films instead of giving us the same half dozen franchises over and over again?

Oliver and Company is the most dated Disney animated film ever made and it's hopelessly stuck in the year 1988. That's part of it's charm, but I would hardly consider it underrated.

The Rescuers was very popular and successful until a certain home video scandal. The sequel is definitely underrated but I still like the original better.

The Black Cauldron is my 3rd favorite Disney animated movie, but I don't think it's entirely underrated because it is a film with problems. I'm sure the original cut is better, if only Disney would release it.

Hunchback is so close to being very good, but those gargoyles and that song they sing have no place in that movie.

Treasure Planet is great and I would consider that underrated. I never went to see it in theaters, not even in IMAX (it was the first movie to be released in both IMAX and regular theaters at the same time). I blame bad marketing because looking at the trailers I had no idea what the film was about and I just waited for it to be on DVD first. With all the Pirate craze, I can't believe Disney is ignoring this and it's two other versions of Treasure Island.

Atlantis was a nice try to have an adventure film like the ones released in the 1950s and 60s, but IMO is no where as much fun as those older films. I saw it twice in theaters and liked it when it first came out but now I just don't care for it.

Brother Bear and Home on the Range were just not that good.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

What makes Hunchback for me is Clopin as the narrator, just the perfect character for it!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The Fox and the Hound. It's been my all-time favorite Disney movie since it came out in 1981. It was a kind of passing the torch to the next generation of animators.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM