Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Disney sues couple for one million dollars for wearing Winnie the Pooh costumes.

A Clermont, Florida couple found out recently just how protective Disney is of thier licensed characters. The couple (David Chaveco, 32, and Marisol Perez-Chaveco, 31), who run a family business called Kool Klown Party People Inc, purchased an Eeyore and Tigger outfit from a Peruvian company on Ebay, and used them at childrens parties.

While the Chaveco's have sent the outfits back to the manufacturer, Disney is still going ahead with the lawsuit, saying "it has the right to "combat willful and intentional infringement of its copyrighted properties" to prevent misuse of its characters".

For more on this story please go to http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...tory?track=rss .

For a video showing the quality of the costumes, please go to http://www.wftv.com/video/16824445/index.html
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Disney sues couple for one million dollars for wearing Winnie the Pooh costumes.

Well, they are using Disney products for profit without their permission...
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Minion

Re: Disney sues couple for one million dollars for wearing Winnie the Pooh costumes.

They should have been smarter about this. It's hard to believe that they didn't know they were braking copy right infringement laws. But hey, Like Disney, all they were trying to do was make people happy while making a buck.

It 's rather annoying when people uses licensed products such as Disney characters or songs on ebay and youtube and other forums, and put up a disclaimer that says: "we have no intention to break any copy right laws..." well if thats so then why are you actually breaking them. Stupid. And of course these people didn't want to "intentionally hurt Disney" they were going into this with their own motivations. I'm sorry but these people should have been smarter.

-Sir. Mouse

• "I Break Things"

So will this be an end to all the advertised Disney princess BDay parties... never held one for either of my little girls but there are a TON of them advertised in various parenting magazines.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

If this is an issue for Disney, then they need to crack down on the sellers, who sell these foreign costumes on eBay. They buy them from companies overseas for next to nothing, then put them on eBay for a huge profit.
    -Monorail Man

• Making my own Mousekteers

I agree. Go after the sellers. So many people have no idea how strict Disney is about copyright. I feel kind of bad for the couple though. Do they have a million dollars or is Disney crucifying them as an example? Yes, they made a mistake and a penalty and confiscation is probably in order but unless they were mass producing or booking $1000. parties I'm pretty sure this is a case of shooting flies with a cannon.

I've also seen the Princess parties. Moms came into my store ( ::sniff, sniff:: ) all the time and used to tell me that they'd hired entertainers that dressed just like Disney characters but weren't "officially" Disney. Is Disney going to go after all of them? If they are they're going to empathize with the Judge from Hunchback only I don't think these particular pests have a nest.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    So will this be an end to all the advertised Disney princess BDay parties... never held one for either of my little girls but there are a TON of them advertised in various parenting magazines.
    My thoughts exactly.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This looks bad on Disney for sure for pushing around such a small family, but that family is really dumb too for doing what they did. EVERYONE knows (or SHOULD know) that if you make money off of another company's property... that's bad news.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• a wind to shake the stars

I'm going to defend a multinational, trillion-dollar company after they literally sue the pants off of a defenseless couple for bootleg Pooh outfits at a local business. Yeah, those people were really asking to be sued for one million american dollars when they ordered those eBay costumes of almost universally recognizable characters for their small birthday party buisiness.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Yeah, those people were really asking to be sued for one million american dollars when they ordered those eBay costumes of almost universally recognizable characters for their small birthday party buisiness.
    Which is why I have a feeling there's some aspect of this story were not hearing. Generally, they have to get 'flagged' somehow (for Disney to notice). There was something they were doing (besides showing off the bootleg costumes), that was getting the flag from Disney. Otherwise, Disney would just send a C&D letter, and not go this far (as they have with other money making companies in the past).
    -Monorail Man

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

My question is this:
    How did Disney find out? This is what I'm really curious about.

• I'll pencil this in later

Quote Originally Posted by MonstersGoBoo! View Post
    My question is this:
    How did Disney find out? This is what I'm really curious about.
    I'm thinking that might have to do with what MM said..

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Which is why I have a feeling there's some aspect of this story were not hearing. Generally, they have to get 'flagged' somehow (for Disney to notice). There was something they were doing (besides showing off the bootleg costumes), that was getting the flag from Disney. Otherwise, Disney would just send a C&D letter, and not go this far (as they have with other money making companies in the past).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    I agree. Go after the sellers. So many people have no idea how strict Disney is about copyright. I feel kind of bad for the couple though. Do they have a million dollars or is Disney crucifying them as an example? Yes, they made a mistake and a penalty and confiscation is probably in order but unless they were mass producing or booking $1000. parties I'm pretty sure this is a case of shooting flies with a cannon.

I've also seen the Princess parties. Moms came into my store ( ::sniff, sniff:: ) all the time and used to tell me that they'd hired entertainers that dressed just like Disney characters but weren't "officially" Disney. Is Disney going to go after all of them? If they are they're going to empathize with the Judge from Hunchback only I don't think these particular pests have a nest.
    Watch the video. They did not follow Disney's instructions and were consequently sued.

What I hate most about our current society is that we have become nearly devoid of morals. It's never a matter of right and wrong, but rather if we'll get caught, such is the case with piracy.

This is just another form of piracy, and potentially a more problematic one if the family did something that impacted a child negatively.

I have little to no sympathy for this family, and the fact that she claims "God will defend her" makes me dislike her even more.

Stop stealing for profit.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Watch the video. They did not follow Disney's instructions and were consequently sued.
    contending they have complied with all of Disney's demands but one: They sent the knock-offs back to Peru for a refund.

"We needed the money," Perez-Chaveco said when asked why she didn't surrender the unlicensed costumes to Disney to destroy.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• World Traveler

Disney is definitely right on this, but should also go after the company manufacturing or selling the costumes. These are not homemade costumes and there is a company behind this that must stop. If the company in Peru wants to make costumes, let them design their own. I'm sure they can be creative and design something fun for kids.

I feel sorry for the family, but I have a feeling they knew what they did was wrong.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast