• Shablagoo!

Hellboy II: The Golden Army reviews and more

I just got back from seeing Hellboy II: The Golden Army and I have to say it is terrific. It might even unseat Wall-E as my favorite movie this summer.

Spoiler

I am going to get it out of the way and point out the thing everyone else is, the Troll Market. It really is an amazing scene.

Let's start with the eye candy. The designs of the costumes, monsters, makeup, and other things are phenominal. The whole Elemental battle is also great. What a beautiful creature. Lots of practical effects and even some stop motion animation (I think, it might be CG, it is hard to tell).

Ok, so it looks good. Lots of movies do that but are not good in the story department. how is this one? Excellent again. The story tells us that in the past man fought with all the magical creatures of the world. The goblins make a Golden Army, which is indestructible. After a horrible battle were the entire army of me is slaughtered the King of the Elves makes a truce with humanity. Many years pass and the Prince of the Elves, Nuada, wants to start the war again. It is up to our heroes to stop him. I am not going to go any farther than that because I do not want to spoil it.

There is a theme in the movie of the world becoming less magical. It may remind you of the similar theme in POTC III. It breaks your heart when you see some of the wonderful creatures reach the end of their stories.

The villian, Prince Nuada is a very 3 dimensional villian. He has good reasons to do what he does and by the time the movie is over, you do not hate him. I know I felt sorry for him.

Hellboy and Liz have been moving forward in their relationship and they are like most. of course when someone gets angry, they usually can't blast their partner through a wall.

Johann Krauss joins the cast, voiced wonderfully by Seth McFarlane of Family Guy fame. If I did not know going in that it was him, I never would have guessed.

Abe Sapien gets an expanded role in this movie with lots of good scenes. The scene of him drinking with Hellboy is classic. This movie will do for Barry Manilow what WallE did for Hello Dolly.

As you can tell I really liked the film and have no complaints. Go see it.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Hellboy II: The Golden Army reviews and more

We already bought our tickets for the 7 pm showings. i'll elt you know then

• Hello Dolly.

Goin at 9. Cant wait. Hope it will be good

• Disneyland PAP

From my post in the "What movie did you just see..." thread:

Hellboy II: The Golden Army Can't say that I was wowed, but I did enjoy it a lot. There were plenty of moments when I laughed and there were a number of scenes that I thought were visually spiritual. It's set up for a sequel which I really, really, really hope Del Toro does after The Hobbit films. And speaking of that, I thought watching this flick that this could easily have been an audition tape for the kinds of things he'd want to do in The Hobbit.

• Banned User

This was a sharp review I'd read on it.

• Animation Domination

Hellboy II was good but I have to say the first one was much better.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I really really enjoyed the movie (which has been rare for me cause I'm so picky about movies)
    I pretty much predicted the whole thing within the first half hour, but that aside I was still completely engrossed. The creatures, the fight sequences, everything just blended so well.

• Shablagoo!

Spoiler

One thing that amazes me is that I really liked the scene between Hellboy and Abe where they sing 'Can't Smile Without You". If someone told me a year ago that I would be spending this summer humming music from Hello Dolly and Barry Manilow, I'd have told them they were crazy. That scene could have been so dopey, and maybe it was, but in a good way.

• Crazy Furry

I saw this yesterday, while I really did enjoy the first film...the second really trumps it in my opinion.

The film is taken on such a larger scale and it's not screwed up, in certain ways it makes me more confident Del Toro can do The Hobbit.

It really has good action scenes and very funny humor moments, to not give anything away...the Locker Room and the Library scene with Hellboy and Abe are just plain hilarious.

Being a large creature nut, this film delivered big time. I love the creations of Wink and the Angel of Death, and the Troll Market is simply stunning. I also like the little twists for a creature like the Tooth Fairy.

So overall, it's a great film that once again proves this has been a great Summer for movies. (I have a feeling it's just going to get better with Dark Knight comming next week, and I'm quite happy I have a ticket for the midnight screening!)
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

I really did not enjoy this much. I really really loved the first film, but the HUGE overuse of fantasy elements really upset me. The first film was interesting because Hellboy, his team, and the villains were the only "mutants" in the film, and you received a very human vibe from Hellboy and the others.

In this film everything was "troll" this or "ectoplasm" that, and I really didnt enjoy that. I really respect DelToro, and Pan's Labyrinth was a very powerful film, but he misused his great imagination here.

On top of that most of the dialogue fell flat, the actors seemed tired, and the Krauss character was horrible and unfunny.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Oh my god Melonballer!! You just summed that up too well!!

• Minion

I finally saw this tonight and I loved it. I liked the first one, but I loved the second one. What is really impressive is that with a budget of merely 80 million dollars, Del Toro creates effects, sets, and monsters that are far superior to the poor effects from 175 million dollar disasters such as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I am Legend. The plot was much more interesting than in the first Hellboy. Del Toro packed more heart, effort, creativity, amazement, and entertainment into Hellboy 2 than in all the other big budget live action summer blockbusters of 2008 so far (and maybe 2007 too) combined.

Spoiler
    You gotta love the sword fight at the end

Sadly with The Dark Knight (which I'm sure will be fantastic) coming out this week, Hellboy II will likely never have a chance to get the box office numbers it deserves.

• Wonderful World

I disliked the movie. It had some good scenes in it but I felt like falling asleep through much of the movie
    I'm back MiceChat

• Master of Disaster

I thought it improved on all the flaws the first movie had.

better story, more realistic hands on special effects rather than CGI, Better comedic timing...

and my body is an amusement park now!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Got back from seeing Hellboy II about an hour ago. I saw the first one, and this is a BIG improvement over the original. The storyline is better, we learn more about the characters, and the effects, creatures are all BIGGER than the original. I am actually glad they did away John Meyers from the first one- he really was bland.