• Killer of Threads

More Port Orleans stuff...

I was going to post this in the older P.O. thread, but it's been "closed." I'm not sure what the point of that is, but anyway...

Here's a link to a pretty thorough site about the Port Orleans resort, which I recently stumbled onto. The pics alone seem to be worth checking out.

Port Orleans - An Unofficial Visitor’s Guide to French Quarter and Riverside

Thumbs up Re: More Port Orleans stuff...

Thanks for the link. It's helping fill in some gaps for me since it will be me and the wife's first time there.

• Oo-de-lally

Re: More Port Orleans stuff...

This place looks nice. I would not mind staying there. Thanks for the link.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Craigroy8287 View Post
    This place looks nice. I would not mind staying there. Thanks for the link.

It is a nice resort.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Minion

Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings) was the resort I stayed at for my first and second trips to WDW. Then, a few years ago, I stayed at the French Quarter. Wonderful resort!
    I want my cake back!

• MiceChat Travel Partner

Great website--thanks!
    MiceChat Preferred Travel Partner

Contact us to book your next Disney Vacation!

• Killer of Threads

Having finally stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, I figured it was high time I posted a review.

What made the biggest impression with me was the sense of seclusion - perhaps it was just because of the location of our room, combined with the fact that it was off-season, but I really don't feel that we were disturbed at all while staying there. After hearing horror stories regarding rowdy kids at the budget resorts, I was relieved to find that this didn't apply to Port Orleans. No loud kids, no loud tv's that were audible through the walls, and only an isolated incident of drunken idiocy near the pool. Perhaps it's the nature of the resort - everyone's there to do run around the parks, and come home exhausted.

Others have commented of the sprawling nature of the setup of the grounds. Our room was a good seven minute walk from the main building, where the cafeteria, general store, and restaurant were. Honestly, I found the setup to be pleasant and picturesque, and a pleasure to traverse. It became my morning ritual to go out and get coffee (and possibly pick up packages) at the general store while my girlfriend got ready. The grounds allow for some great opportunities to walk around and wind down (or wake up, in my case), and after legging it all over the resort during the day, an extra five or ten minutes' walk really wasn't going to make much of a difference.

The rooms are actually much nicer than most sites make them look - they fit the appearance of the exterior theming than one would think, based on the pictures I'd seen online. There were only two of us, so space wasn't an issue, but the beds were large and comfortable enough that two kids could easily and comfortably occupy one bed, while the parents occupied the other.

We dined at Boatright's dining hall once, and enjoyed my food well enough - particularly the sweet potatoes. I wish I'd had the opportunity to dine there again, for the sweet potatoes alone. They were also very accommadating to my girlfriend's lactose intolerance, since we contacted them about this ahead of time.

That's all for now, I'd love to answer any questions that anyone might have. Overall, I'd love to stay there again.

We always stay at POR because it is the most affordable option for our family of five. I just got back from there and we had a wonderful stay. Our room was in lodge building 39 of the alligator bayou section. This was a pretty good location, just a short walk to the main pool and another short walk to the main building, food court. I love the atmosphere here, it is so quiet and peaceful.

• Minion

Thanks for the link and review!

Couple questions if you don't mind...
    When did you stay there? You mention off season and I was wondering what were the specific dates.
    How was transportation? Long waits for buses, or not so long?