Red Face Is the Grand or poly worth the $$$

I was wondering if staying at a disney deluxe resort is worth the splurge I was thinking about The GF or poly but the last time I went I stayed at Carribian Beach. I wanted to make this trip really special because I can't visit the world until 210 if I stay at CB i would be able to stay a bit longer but if I stay at a deluxe i would have to limit it to a week. Is it really worth all $$$$ please help!!!

• Minion

Re: Is the Grand or poly worth the $$$

I've stayed at the Poly, but not the GF and I'd say that, yes, Poly is well worth the extra $'s over CBR. There's a LOT less walking, plus having the convenience of the monorail is really nice. Whether or not that matters to you I guess depends a lot on whether you have kids or not, how mobile you are etc.

When it comes to theming and atmosphere, of all the Disney resorts we've stayed at (CBR, CSR, ASM and Poly) Poly was the only one where we all said, "Wow, we have got to stay here again!"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Only if you can afford it. I just can't justify $300+ a night for a room at ANY hotel. I would love to stay at the Polynesian sometime though, but I'd need about 10 pay raises before it would fall into my budget. Even the value resorts are out of my range this year. I'll be staying off-site on my trips this year.

Talking Re: Is the Grand or poly worth the $$$

Hi. We've stayed at both and there are pros and cons. The gf is beautiful in the main building, but remember that you may stay 100's of feet (yards?) away from the lobby or monorail in one of the outer buildings. You can use the boat for transport to the mk, but we found access a long walk from anywhere. The poly is just about the opposite, except both places have beautiful views if, if,if you get a full lagoon view. Staying at the poly, in the actual room is sort of like staying at the local red roof inn. No kidding, we were at the tahiti in oct 08 and it is not impressive! But, and here is a huge but, it is very very convenient if you are in the tahiti to jump on any transportation. If you park hop or travel back and forth probably do the poly, if you want class surrounds, i'd do wilderness lodge, or the gf. We like the lodge the best, but you have to factor transit (not walking) time by boat/monorail/etc connections from the wl.

• making magic is fun!

I would say yes! I love the GF and the Poly is very nice to.
    Great new rooms, places to eat and awesome transportation.
    They both have great pools and the grand has the cabanas that are a nice way to spend half a day.
    Kelly

• making magic is fun!

If you are looking for info about the GF check out
    www.wherethemagiclives.com
    Kelly

It is soo worth staying at the Deluxe resorts! There is a lot less walking and you have the monerails to take you to the Transportation and Ticket Center, Magic Kingdom and even Epcot. Make sure you can afford to stay there. If not their is always other Disney hotel options.
    -Tyler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

If you're worried about the expenses, the Wilderness Lodge is a lovely alternative that falls between the price of a moderate and deluxe. It's my favorite resort on property, and even if you don't have the monorail, the boat from the WL to the Magic Kingdom is just as wonderful.

I've stayed at the Polynesian, and it's a great resort, but the Wilderness Lodge is a fantastic resort for a deluxe hotel at a more reasonable price.

Given the choice, I would chose the WL.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have always had a dream to stay at each of the Disney World Resort Hotels at least once. I have stayed at both the GF, and the Polynesian. The Polynesian was actually the very first hotel that I stayed at. That was back in 1997. It was a very short vacation. We really like the close proximity to the Magic Kingdom, where we spent a lot of time with our grandson, who was 4 at the time. My husband loved taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom.

I also stayed at the Grand Floridian, and it was wonderful. I was there by myself, and it was the 2nd hotel that I stayed at with a split stay at CBR. I love the Grand Floridian, and I wish that I could afford to stay there more often.

Are they worth the price? Only you can decide that for yourself. When you are paying over $300 a night for a hotel room at Disneyland, you are paying more for lacation than you are for the amenities in the room.

As I look back on my visits to these hotels, I wish that I had actually spent more time enjoying the resorts than rushing off to the parks. I had a great time on all my vacations, but I have learned that I should plan some hotel fun into each of my vacations.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

They are great values if you plan to actually enjoy the hotels. If you are going to do a commando style all-day, all-night park run and your hotel is just a place to sleep, it's cheaper to just rent a condo for the week and hire a limo to take you to and from the park each morning and evening.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch