Thread: hotel question

hotel question

Hi,
    Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place. I have a question for you expert WDW fans. I'm going to WDW in early March for 5 nights and am trying to decide between Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs. It would cost a total of $500 more to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge ($1,232) than Coronado Springs ($731). Is it worth $500 more to stay at a Deluxe compared to a Moderate? We will likely be spending most of our times in the parks. Thanks for your advice.
    Atticus

• Shopping With You

Re: hotel question

If you're not going to be spending much time in your room, I say go cheaper. My family always stays in the Value resorts. Pop Century the most.

• Happy Haunt

Animal Kingdom Lodge is not just a hotel it's an experience. I don't know if your were planning on a Savannah view room but as the name suggests you do get to see animals from your room. There are also tours that only hotel guests can do. So if you and your family are into animals you would enjoy that benefit.

But if you won't be spending time at your hotel I would say it's not worth the price. In March the weather won't be so hot so you can comfortable stay at the park all day.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I agree. If you aren't going to be in the room...why pay extra for it? Save the money, and spend it at the park on souvenirs!

• Pilot EdForceOne

it boils down to your expectations. If you are happy with a Holiday Inn, don't pay more for a deluxe and be satisfied with what you have. If you even have to ask if it's worth it, obviously the money is valuable to you so spend it on what you want the most.

The experience is nice, but if you are just looking for a hotel (which most of the properties have really become) just stick with the economical choice.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Your choosing between my two favorite resorts!!!.

This would be my criteria for making the decision. If you know that you are really stretching the budget to stay at AKL and also know that you will be coming back to WDW in the next two years, I'd say stay at CSR this trip and save over the next two years for a stay at AKL. However, if you don't think you will be back to WDW in the foreseeable future, bust the budget and stay at AKL. AKL is spectacular and is an immersion type experience. Everyone has to do it at least once.

I would also check around to see if anyone is selling points from the DVC side -- you can very often stay on points for considerably less than its costs to stay the traditional way.

You will be happy with either resort as they are both wonderful. I always think of CSR as being a deluxe on the lite side. It has all the ammenities you expect in a deluxe wrapped in a moderates clothing. I actually like it's landscaping more than most of the deluxe resorts, and walking around CSR in the evening to take in the scenery is soooo relaxing. And then, sitting in the lobby of AKL in the evening, or sitting outside watching the animals, is just so amazing. Where else but WDW?

Blog Entries

It all depends on if that AKL room is savanna view or not. If it is, then its worth it, especially if you have kids. If not, then maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    It all depends on if that AKL room is savanna view or not. If it is, then its worth it, especially if you have kids. If not, then maybe not.
    I disagree. I've stayed in Savannah View, Pool view and parking lot view. I can honestly say that while I loved having the savannah view, I still love the resort enough to stay in a parking lot view. I actually found that I discovered more of what AKL offered when I stayed in the parking lot view room. It forced me to go out and explore things. Finding the storytellers by the fire pit, or talking with the various CM's about what everything in the lobby represented gave me a unique perspective on what had been, until those conversations, just African decor. Even on those trips where we are only there for the weekend I find that at AKL, I take advantage of the resort more than when I stay at one of the other resorts that are beautifully themed but not as unique as AKL.

I would check out some of the moderates. Port Orleans Riverside, in my opinion, was just as good as a deluxe.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I would check out some of the moderates. Port Orleans Riverside, in my opinion, was just as good as a deluxe.
    I love the Port Orleans French Quarter myself
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If you're not going to be in the room except to sleep but you want to stay in property, go with a value resort. I second Pop Century.

I have staye dat both the AKL and the Coronado. I am not a big fan of the COronado for various reasons. FOr a moderate resort I would choose Port Orleans RIverside. If you want an awesome experience of being immersed into African culture stay at the AKL.
    But remember.......all Disney Hotles are well themed!!!
    Kim
    author, "Sharing the Magic"
    Columnist, www.wdwdailynews.com
    We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!