Disney's Pop Century Resort - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

Disney's Pop Century Resort photographed in November 2008:
    This resort focusing on popular culture is similar to the three All-Star Resorts in another area of the Disney property. It is composed of a central check-in and amenity building surrounded by 10 low rise three-winged hotel buildings that are all identical in layout to the others as well as the All-Star Resort hotel buildings. All feature fun oversized iconic elements that decorate their facades and create a bright and brash abstract environment.

Classic Hall:
    The central hall is decorated with giant elements that announce the themes of the hotel buildings...the later decades of the 20th century.

50's:
    These three buildings cluster around the Bowling Pool.

60's:
    These two buildings face each other across the Hippy Dippy Pool.

70's:

80's and 90's:
    The two 80's buildings and the adjoining 90's building surround the Computer Pool.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by geomorph; 11-16-2009 at 10:10 PM.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Disney's Pop Century Resort - Pictures

Wow. great pictures! So clear and colorful. This is our family's favorite hotel. We made the mistake of not staying there on our last trip. We missed it SO much!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Awesome looking place.

Great shots!

Stitchy, why is this your favorite? Is it that much better than the All-Star resorts?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Stitchy, why is this your favorite? Is it that much better than the All-Star resorts?
    we were less than impressed with the All Stars. The rooms didn't seem to be in as good a shape as Pop. The dining area wasn't as large...and we had difficulty finding places to sit. And both were very difficult to navigate around. In the end, we regretted venturing away from Pop.

And even though we were thinking about staying at the Coronado on our next trip...I think we'll return to Pop. It just seems to fit us perfectly.

Sorry to taking so long to answer you geo. I just got homesick for Pop and looked up this thread to stare at the pictures. lol

• Pilot EdForceOne

Pop is newer.. that's part of it. All-Stars Sports and Movies were the first of the big mega value resorts. Pop opened almost 9 years later.

Having stayed in both... I don't find them all that varied myself. They all are mediocre motel grade rooms with average at best facilities. You're paying for the EMH perks, Magical Express, and bus service. However.. I still find it too difficult myself to NOT stay onsite I'm a sucker for 'em.

Pop is generally more preferred because of the dedicated bus service (vs all stars which shares) and other minor differences.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

we find that Pop suits us very well. We're there to enjoy the parks and WDW.....so the hotel is only used for sleeping...and the occassional dip in the pool. Maybe when we get older...and the kid does too, we'll slow down and learn to enjoy lounging by the pool and taking it slow and easy. But, for now...we like to go go go. And the Pop gives us a nice, clean room....fun pools and big colorful things to look at. So, it's perfect for us.

The buses are a great bonus...although, we've come to use them less and less. We like to ride the monorail at MK....and it's shorter to drive and park in the parking lot at Epcot and DHS. AK is one park where the bus is a good thing, though

Those images are so neat!! My husband and I are going to stay there when we go.. to bad that is not till next year, haha. When were you walking around that no one was there?
    *Under Construction...*

WyckedPhoenix, I was there in Novemeber 2008, it was definitely an off-season and I was there in the middle of the day when many people are in the parks.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Wonderful pictures as always. I've been wanting to see more of this resort, so thanks for sharing!

• Murphy Lover

Quote Originally Posted by WyckedPhoenix View Post
    Those images are so neat!! My husband and I are going to stay there when we go.. to bad that is not till next year, haha. When were you walking around that no one was there?
    This is where my family and I will be staying when we go next year too... We are planning a late 2011 trip and I am itching to go NOW. AHH.. I can't wait.

The pictures looked great.. Im glad that people love this hotel... makes me more confident about staying here.
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

It will be interesting to see how the resort across the lake turns out and how it will relate to this one; the new resort will not be the original planned first five decades of the 20th century theme, but instead will be animation themed.

• I love Disney

great hotel recommend staying there if you look for a cheap hotel room that is defiantly worth the $$
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

• Golden State of Mind

I wonder if they will rename it Pop Half Century.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever