Best Off-Property Hotel

I am finally getting back to WDW (after the Holidays), but simply do not have the funds to stay on property. I have always stayed at a Disney Resort Hotel, but just cannot swing it now. For those of you who have extensive experience with non-Disney properties, what would be your top recommendations?

Re: Best Off-Property Hotel

I never stay on Disney property anymore either. It's just gotten too expensive (sighs).

Anyway, my current favorite place is the Blue Heron Beach Resort. Very convenient location, (right off of I4 one exit north of disney), decent area, and very nice suites, with a separate bedroom, bunkbeds in a niche in the hallway, and a pullout sofa in the living room, and a kitchen, looking over a lake. Pretty reasonably priced for how nice it is. The rooms are much nicer than the building looks from the outside. Google it, it comes right up.

If that's still too pricey (depends on when you're coming) we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree several times. They put a divider in the room and two to four bunkbeds on the otherside of the divider separate from a king bed. No kitchen, (maybe there's a fridge? i forget) but enough space and comfortable enough and cute enough for the kids and also a great location (near the Blue Heron, actually)

I'll be checking this thread again, curious to see what others like!

Blog Entries

What version of hotels did you stay in and what are you considering too expensive. If you used to stay at the Deluxes then there are tons of things outside. If you're saying the values, then there are still very nice hotels for around the 80 dollar price, but they'll be far different for something in the 200 dollar price.

This would go easier if you'd tell us what you want to spend per night.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Definately check the value resort prices. In off season, they can REALLY drop. You may only pay $10 more than off property per night.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I stayed at the values a week ago, and we only paid $65 a night. You can find cheaper prices on property if you go during off season. I have stayed off property as well, and you can find a lot of places for around $80 a night, but the values are also not much more. I guess it depends on what prices you are looking for.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

The values can be a really good deal. For my big family, though, the rooms are just too tiny.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

true. My cousins have three kids, and therefore, have to get two rooms. I can see how that would add up.

Two years ago, we paid 59 a night at Pop. And when we decided to extend for two more nights (while we were there) they gave those nights to us for $50.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Many of my trips to WDW included stays at the Value resorts. Even if we stayed at a Deluxe or Moderate we would have a couple of days at a Value to reduce the cost of the overall resort stays.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

The all star music has family suites too
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

CPrice, I will not pretend that my choice is the best property, but I recently stayed 11 nights at Rodeway Inn Maingate, and have stayed at the Howard Johnson next door too. The Rodeway ended up being $22 a night, and the Howard was probably about $27 two years ago. I am never in the room except to sleep and shower. When I consider the savings over 11 nights compared to staying on property or at an overpriced property nearby, the choice is clear...the savings more than pay for my entire theme park admissions, which is the reason I am there. I don't care if there is no towel twisted into the shape of Goofy's hat on the bed when I get back.

These two hotels are on 192 in Kissimmee, across from the shopping center at the entrance to Celebration. They are the closest cheap properties to the resort on this long stretch. This is important to me because I don't drive. Therefore, I take either the hotel's free shuttle (limited times, sometimes a weird route to pick up others at a few other hotels) or the Lynx bus, the city bus that is $2 with free transfer. Their route 56 picks up in front of the hotel, makes a few more stops, then zooms to the TTC! It runs half-hourly for most of the day and night. And remember, once at the TTC you can transfer to Disney transit and go anywhere, no proof-of-resort-stay needed.

Note that there is another concentrated stretch of cheapies on 192 to the West of the property too, and they are closer to Animal Kingdom than most of the on-properties. However, for me they don't work as well because the route 56 does not run to them, instead you have to get on route 55 and then transfer to 56 right near the Rodeway Inn, its one step too many.
    Last edited by geomorph; 01-30-2010 at 10:54 AM.