Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I see in Muppet Vision

Going to WDW and Universal in July.

Hey Everyone I am planning a trip down to WDW and universal with my friends this summer. We were trying to figure out where we should stay. It will be July 2-9.

We were thinking to stay in a hotel near disney or in Disney the 2-7 and then the 7-9 at a hotel near universal.

The hotels we have had in mind are WDW French Quarter, Pop Century, or Doubletree Suites in Downtown disney. I have stayed at the double tree before and an all-star resort. What is micechats input on these hotels.

I know the disney hotels have the much better transportation but we can get a room at the double tree for $160 and it is double the size... the trade off is the transport.

The french quarter is around $200 a night and pop century around $100.

Where do i get the better bang for my buck?

I was also looking into the Fairfield inn by marriott just outside the resort. but i was unclear whether or not they had bus shuttles to the disney resort. That room is also around $100.

As for staying near universal we were looking at the hyatt place resort. It is $98 a night, looks new and gorgeous, free breakfast. and is walking distance from universal.

If anyone has any other suggestions or input that would be greatly appreciated. I know my way around disney when it comes to things but i have never been to universal before.

Thanks guys!

• First Time Disneylander

Re: Going to WDW and Universal in July.

I'm doing the same thing next year and I'm waffling between either Riverside or an All-Stars Music suite. How many of you are going? If you're like me and are looking to cram as many people into one room as possible, Riverside and Music are your best choices because they sleep 5 (with rollaway) and 6 respectively. I know these aren't your first choices, but both are very nice hotels, comparable to French Quarter or Pop Century, and offer the best value if you or your friends are on a tight budget. As for Universal, I don't know much but I have stayed on property before and it was big bucks. Good luck!
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

French Quarter is one of my favorite resorts on property. If money is not an issue, I would stay there.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• The Study of Wumbo

Note that French Quarter is something like half of the size of the other moderates, so make sure you book before it fills up.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

I'm going in summer, too (not my first choice). Anyway, which non-Disney hotels have good shuttle transportation to the parks? Thanks!

• Disney Vacation Planner

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    Hey Everyone I am planning a trip down to WDW and universal with my friends this summer. We were trying to figure out where we should stay. It will be July 2-9.

We were thinking to stay in a hotel near disney or in Disney the 2-7 and then the 7-9 at a hotel near universal.

The hotels we have had in mind are WDW French Quarter, Pop Century, or Doubletree Suites in Downtown disney. I have stayed at the double tree before and an all-star resort. What is micechats input on these hotels.

I know the disney hotels have the much better transportation but we can get a room at the double tree for $160 and it is double the size... the trade off is the transport.

The french quarter is around $200 a night and pop century around $100.

Where do i get the better bang for my buck?

I was also looking into the Fairfield inn by marriott just outside the resort. but i was unclear whether or not they had bus shuttles to the disney resort. That room is also around $100.

As for staying near universal we were looking at the hyatt place resort. It is $98 a night, looks new and gorgeous, free breakfast. and is walking distance from universal.

If anyone has any other suggestions or input that would be greatly appreciated. I know my way around disney when it comes to things but i have never been to universal before.

Thanks guys!
    Stay on property and definitely the French Quarter. It's Disney's smallest resort, and great bus service. But if you go with the value resorts, Pop is the way to go. They don't share bus service like the other 3 All Star value resorts.

So, are you planning 2 days at Universal? And are you flying, and do you plan on using Disney's Magical Express for your transportation to and from the airport? How many people are going?

When switching hotels, say from Disney's FQ to a Universal hotel, or partner hotel, it can get pricey for the transportation. And then you will need transportation back to the airport.

Why not just stay on Disney property and for the two days you are going to Universal, buy a two day ticket that includes the roundtrip transportation from your Disney resort to the parks. This ends up being cheaper than paying for a ride to your Universal hotel and a ride to the airport. But also it depends on how many people you have going.

Then you will be able to use Disney's Magical Express to get back to the airport for free. Just a suggestion. Also, if you are going this summer, make sure to take advantage of the current room only specials that Disney is running. You can also add on the tickets and dining to the special.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Juliestrip7 View Post
    Stay on property and definitely the French Quarter. It's Disney's smallest resort, and great bus service. But if you go with the value resorts, Pop is the way to go. They don't share bus service like the other 3 All Star value resorts.

So, are you planning 2 days at Universal? And are you flying, and do you plan on using Disney's Magical Express for your transportation to and from the airport? How many people are going?

When switching hotels, say from Disney's FQ to a Universal hotel, or partner hotel, it can get pricey for the transportation. And then you will need transportation back to the airport.

Why not just stay on Disney property and for the two days you are going to Universal, buy a two day ticket that includes the roundtrip transportation from your Disney resort to the parks. This ends up being cheaper than paying for a ride to your Universal hotel and a ride to the airport. But also it depends on how many people you have going.

Then you will be able to use Disney's Magical Express to get back to the airport for free. Just a suggestion. Also, if you are going this summer, make sure to take advantage of the current room only specials that Disney is running. You can also add on the tickets and dining to the special.
    There are 4 of us. We are all 18 and 19. We are flying down from NY.

Yea i know the all-star resorts have bad transportation. I have stayed there before. Our only issue is trying to keep the price down. So although we really want to stay at the french quarter. Right now the Doubletree in downtown disney is cheaper, a larger room. The trade-offs are the transportation. i have stayed there before. Its bus service is not the best but it gets you to and from the parks.

As for the to and from the airport. There are 4 of us so i figure a cab or town car will be around $60 so that only $15 per person. which isn't terrible.

The hotels that we are looking at near universal, The hyatt place, and holiday inn are only $100 a night so i think it is probably cheaper to stay there than to get transport back and forth from disney.

Thanks for your help.

• Banned User

I personally like riverside just because i enjoy staying in a mansion and I love the pool area. Whaterever you are planning i suggest you book it soon because the time period you are talking about is the peak of the peak season and the parks will be packed to the gills. also universal is going to be very busy because of the harry potter opening. A few notes if you haven't been to florida in the summer. It get's very very very humid and extremely hot. I mean in the 90's every day with 100 percent humidity. It rains almost every afternoon from late june until early october. Make sure you drink plenty of water or drinks like gatorade or powerade even if you arent thirsty. Also bring pleanty of sunscrean and apply it liberally.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by princecharming View Post
    I personally like riverside just because i enjoy staying in a mansion and I love the pool area. Whaterever you are planning i suggest you book it soon because the time period you are talking about is the peak of the peak season and the parks will be packed to the gills. also universal is going to be very busy because of the harry potter opening. A few notes if you haven't been to florida in the summer. It get's very very very humid and extremely hot. I mean in the 90's every day with 100 percent humidity. It rains almost every afternoon from late june until early october. Make sure you drink plenty of water or drinks like gatorade or powerade even if you arent thirsty. Also bring pleanty of sunscrean and apply it liberally.
    Yea i know i have been to WDW in May, July, and August in the past. Always carry those ponchos and water. I hate florida... i don't understand why they built disney world there.

That week is when we are going because its the only week that works for all of us. and our motive for going is harry potter.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I recently came back from my own WDW/Universal vacation and ended up staying at Hyatt Place and Pop Century, I found both of them well suited for my needs.

Our trip though was getting a rental car, going to Universal, and then heading off to WDW. Worked out great, and as others have said, if you end your trip at WDW you can use the Disney Magical Express to take all of you back to the airport.

First off the Hyatt Place is perfect in both price, location, and what they have to offer. The beds are comfy, and having the large couch in the sitting room area of the room will accomodate everyone in your group. Plus, you get that huge flat screen TV that swivels to view in the sitting area and towards the beds as well. The breakfast they offer isn't much beyond a plussed up Continental breakfast, but the food is good and you can eat until you're full. Oh, and you can also pick up the fresh fruit that is in the lobby to snack on or take with you.

Now, for a group of 4 at the Pop Century the room might seem a little tight. I was with just one other person so the Pop Century suited us well ... but not sure about 4 of you. Other than that I did find the transportation (when we took it) pleasant and close enough to all the buildings in the Pop Century resort area. Their food offerings in the Classic Hall though left much to be desired. If you want a good breakfast, or meal in general, stick to going to the parks. Classic Hall dining, while convenient, isn't that great.

• Disneyholic

With 4 of you I would do Port Orleans so you get a little more room, please note the 5th bed in the Riverside is a trundle and whoever sleeps in it needs to be under 5 foot tall, it's really not much more than a toddler bed mattress on it, it's not a full double and is basically on a steal tray that rolls out from under the bed. But you also get 2 sets of restaurants, 2 pools, etc. since the Port Orleans resorts share amenities it's like getting 2 resorts in one.

Alternatively if you really want to do HP I would go with one of the on site Loews hotels, that way you can skip the lines and do all the attractions quickly, the whole Wizarding World will be very popular this summer, you may have trouble seeing much else otherwise. They are more expensive but the rooms are a lot larger and nicer than the moderates in Disney.

If your going to go to Universal for just a day or two and seeing as your under 21 you may have to go with the Mears Shuttle since a lot of rental car agencies will not rent to you or will charge you a premium to do so. The shuttle is available from your hotel to the Universal Park area for about 18$/person each way when you book in advance.
    Last edited by Jerren; 04-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Disney Vacation Planner

Smile Re: Going to WDW and Universal in July.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    There are 4 of us. We are all 18 and 19. We are flying down from NY.

Yea i know the all-star resorts have bad transportation. I have stayed there before. Our only issue is trying to keep the price down. So although we really want to stay at the french quarter. Right now the Doubletree in downtown disney is cheaper, a larger room. The trade-offs are the transportation. i have stayed there before. Its bus service is not the best but it gets you to and from the parks.

As for the to and from the airport. There are 4 of us so i figure a cab or town car will be around $60 so that only $15 per person. which isn't terrible.

The hotels that we are looking at near universal, The hyatt place, and holiday inn are only $100 a night so i think it is probably cheaper to stay there than to get transport back and forth from disney.

Thanks for your help.
    Aww, My son is your age. But I don't think he would plan a trip to WDW with his friends on his own. Since he was little, we have gone to Disney over 33 times. He wants a break. I don't get it, Disney never gets old to me.
    If you take a Mears shuttle van RT from the airport to the Hyatt Place- Universal area, will run $29 per person. A Towncar, (roughly, depends on who you use) will run $23 per person, not counting gratuities. I personally am not fond of the taxi service. Using the taxi calculator your fare could be as high as $53 one way.

Okay, here's the lowdown according to my calculations, if I have all of your details correct.

Pkg. Idea #1
    July 2nd - 7th - 5 Nights
    Double Tree Suites
    Prepay non refundable price with tax : $884.08
    (Non prepay price w/tax: $950.63)
    July 7th - 9th, 2 Nights
    Hyatt Place
    Prepay, non refundable price, w/tax: $220.50
    (Non prepay price, w/tax: $245.25)

Total Prepay price for hotels: $1,104.58
    Total non prepay price for hotels: $1,195.88
    Then add in the transfers.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Pkg. Idea #2
    July 2nd - July 9th, 7 Nights
    Disney's Pop Century Resort, Standard view room
    4 Adults
    No tickets, Disney's Room Only Discount Offer
    Package Price, includes tax: $1,011.00

You can buy a one day, two park ticket for Universal Studios that includes the transfers for $118.24 per person. Other tickets are available as well.

I ask you, is it really worth all the hassle?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

On property, my fave WDW hotel to stay at is Pop Century (because the Polynesian is WAY out of my budget). But the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd near Downtown Disney are nice. I've stayed at the Royal Plaza, Hilton and Regal Sun Resort (when it was the Grosvenor) and I liked all of them. I just posted in another thread that I almost booked a room at the newly reopened Holiday Inn on Hotel Plaza, but opted for the Holiday Inn Express about a mile or so down the road on Palm Parkway (just off Apopka Vineland/535) as I could get it for a slightly cheaper price for a king room, plus it includes free hot breakfast (the Holiday Inn by DTD didn't include breakfast).

• Another trip down I-4

I'd have to say stay offsite for Disney (go to the Doubletree so you're not on top of each other) and then stay on-site for Universal - the front of the line passes for everything but Harry Potter will be worth the extra price.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Be aware the hotels on Universal property are EXPENSIVE (like deluxe Disney on property expensive). I'd love to stay at the Hard Rock hotel, but I can't afford $300+ a night (so I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express near Downtown Disney for $65 a night).

But hey, if you can afford stuff like that... more power to ya!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast