• "The Musical Quil"

1-10? = Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Fresh back from DLP, fiance and I planning our next vacation. While the Disney Dinning Plan is still being advertised we plan to visit WDW end of Aug, maybe Sept.

What is your opinion of the Caribbean Beach Resort?

I haven't found too much about it, in my brief searching online. Call me lazy, but I would rather get personal experience first.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: 1-10? = Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

I have stayed there. Would I stay there again? Probably not. The resort is way too spread out for my liking. I have stayed at both Coronado Springs, and Port Orleans Riverside, which are both also moderate resorts. I have always wanted to stay in the other moderate resort, which is Port Orleans French Quarter. That one is the smallest of the moderates.

Caribbean Beach is a beautiful resort. There is a huge body of water, surrounded by all the different sections of buildings. If you stay at this resort, you will do a lot of walking. They do have an internal bus system that you can catch, if you don't want to make the walk to the main building (where check in is located, and luggages services etc,) or to the Food Court, Gift Shop building.

The room was comfortable. I find all the moderate resort rooms about the same. I stayed at Coronado Springs before they updated their rooms with different furnishings.

Each section of the resort has it's own pool area, and bus stop.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 05-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I stayed here once many years ago, when it was the only moderate resort. Since then, I have stayed at all moderate resorts, but am still looking to head back here at some point.

I loved the resort, but there is a fair amount of walking, depending on where you are located. The same is true of Coronado and Riverside as well. The only real moderate where distance is not an issue is Port Orleans French Quarter, which is my favorite of the moderates.

Also note that the check in/luggage area at this resort is not in the same building as the Food Court/shop. It is in a separate location, which I personally do not prefer.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I've only stayed at Caribbean Beach, so I can't compare it to other Disney hotels (the other two times I've been to WDW we stayed off-site), but I do have a photo set from the resort for those curious.

• Nutty about Disney parks

All the value and moderate resorts (as well as a few deluxe resorts) have this unusual layout where its multiple buildings spread out so it wouldnt make a difference which resort you end up in. It's still a lot of walking.

However a major difference in CBR compared to the other moderates is that the check in/out service and the food court/shops are located in separate buildings on different ends of the resort. You'll be lucky if you get a room close to either - or. Oh and the buildings are designed and look all the same so you're bound to have some confusion finding your room depending where you end up (get a layout map of your resort).

As for the rooms themselves, they're nice and colorful. My only issue was that I kept constantly hitting the bedposts cause of they way they stick out and the beds might be a little bit squeaky but all in all it wasnt bad.

You get a small fridge if you need it but no microwave. The room is still small but not as insanely small like in the Value Resorts. They're quite comfortable and cozy.

Score: 7.5-8

• "The Musical Quil"

My only other visit to WDW, I had stayed at one of the All-Star Resorts. There was a lot of walking there too, but that seems to be the case with WDW period. Is the resort spread out that much more?

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
    I've only stayed at Caribbean Beach, so I can't compare it to other Disney hotels (the other two times I've been to WDW we stayed off-site), but I do have a photo set from the resort for those curious.
    Thanks this helps a lot! Great photos BTW.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

We stayed there last year in one of the new pirate-themed rooms and loved it. We didn't mind the walking at all, had no issues with transportation, and found the food court to offer lots of options. The grounds were beautiful and all of the CMs we encountered were really nice and helpful. It was our first time to WDW though, so I can't compare it to anywhere else.
    A signature should go here.

• "The Musical Quil"

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    We stayed there last year in one of the new pirate-themed rooms and loved it. We didn't mind the walking at all, had no issues with transportation, and found the food court to offer lots of options. The grounds were beautiful and all of the CMs we encountered were really nice and helpful. It was our first time to WDW though, so I can't compare it to anywhere else.
    We were looking at one of the Pirate rooms, just for fun Do you have any photos? Or how do they compair to DeliriumTrigger's photos?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtrigger05/sets/72157601143834583/
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Lemme look. I have the feeling the pictures are all in my husband's computer... Here are a couple for now:

The view from our room. We picked up the bus by following the path up and to the left, really easy.

The playground and beach. Our area's pool was right above this, to the left.

Pirate ship beds (complete with sleeping pirate!)

This curtain separates the sink area, has the closet, and makes a dressing room space if you need it.

Behind the curtain. And to the right is the toilet/tub/shower room.

Even the shower stall is piratey!

The dresser and the fridge, and I believe the bedside table also looked like a barrel.

I know we have more photos of the grounds, but I just don't have them with me right now. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by SusieP.; 05-18-2010 at 12:07 PM.

• "The Musical Quil"

That helps a lot. Looks like a lot of fun!

Is that Hardwood floor or a Carpet Design?
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

i LOVED it. There was no extreme walking - as much as The Coronado Spring. The best thing was getting up in the morning, walking arou nd the lkae and over the beidge to breakfast. It was such a nice, relaxing, scenic way to start the day!

I would definitely stay there again!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The key to a successful stay at The Caribbean Beach Resort is location. When I stayed there I requested Aruba. I had a corner room on the 2nd floor. I wasn't that far from the bus stop, and it wasn't that far a walk to Old Port Royale. This resort has what is known as preferred locations, which you pay a little more for. It will put you closer to the amenities at the resort.

• Disneyholic

I have to agree with Barbarann, staying at CBR is all about location location location, if you get a good spot it's a really nice resort, if you get stuck out in Trinidad South or Barbados far from old port royal it can be a bit of a hike to get to the food court.

Like yoyo said it was the first of the Moderate hotels, and there where some lacking qualities to it at first, they have made some nice improvements since then though and the property was fully remodeled about 2 years ago. Adding a new kiddie water play area, a concierge and mini front desk at old port royal (as the main desk is situated away from the ret of the resort and you have to cross the ring road to get to it it was rather a pain to get to when I stayed there in 2001.

The pirate rooms are awesome as the pictures from Susie P. show, the standard rooms cost less and have a finding Nemo theme to them. Overall it's a nice resort. However as the Moderates go it's actually the lowest on my list due to the walking.

Of the 4 moderates (See the note on #1 as to why it's not 5) I would rank them:

1. Port Orleans FQ/RS - I count them as 1 resort not 2 as they share amenities and gusts can use all the resources of both resorts when staying at either one. Th trundle beds make it the best value for families of 5 with a smaller child who don't want the expense of a suite or Deluxe hotel.
    2. Coronado Springs - While if you get stuck on the "back 40" this resort is painful and way too much walking, it makes up for it with the Pepermarket (where else can you get a steak for a counter service meal?), Queen sized beds, flat screen tv's, room service, and other features you will only find in this moderate resort. It's a convention Hotel and that can make it busy at times, but overall I really enjoy it.
    3. Would be Caribbean beach resort by a nose, really a hard choice for me between this and the #4 choice...
    4. Fort Wilderness cabins - a couple years ago this would be #3 above CBR before its renovations... They are starting to show their age, the layout of the bunk bends and queen bed in the same room is a turn off for some families, a single bathroom for a 6+ resort accommodation is the other. A private parking pot is rally nice if you drive your own car, as are the kitchenette, deck with grill, and the resort offerings are more diverse than any other, and it's close to the MK. If the internal Bus system was a bit better or they refurbed the cabins this could easily take the #2 or #3 spot on my list again.

I have photos of the resort, Rooms, and common areas on my site in the members galleries if you want to go take a look.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

That's carpet cleverly disguised as wood planks in the pirate room. The pirate rooms (at the time) were only in South Trinidad, which is the farthest-out section of the resort.