• Disney aficionado

Port Orleans Riverside vs. Swan/Dolphin

I am planning a 3 day trip to WDW with my wife and I. We are going to be hopping between Epcot and hollywood studios one day. MK and AK another day, and devoting another day primarily to MK.
    Since we are going mid August it may be necessary to escape the summer heat for a few hours in the afternoon. We are young and fit though, so we just need places to rest for an hour or so in the parks.

Regardless, the Swan and Dolphin I get a discount on since I am a teacher. The Port Orleans Riverside seems to be in the same price range as it with my discount. Location wise Swan and Dolphin seem to win. You do get to use the Disney bus transport and get EMH there too so it is a definite tossup feature wise with Port Orleans. Theme wise seems to be the Port Orleans Riverside seems to be the winner. What would you recommend? Give me some more pros and cons. Thanks!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Port Orleans Riverside vs. Swan/Dolphin

We stayed a few nights at the Swan. It's a generic hotel, clean but very uninteresting. The buses and water transport are right there, so that's convenient but I honestly preferred being in a Disney hotel. Your room key can also be your park pass and even your payment method for shopping, I found that very time-saving. The theming adds a lot of fun to a trip. We've stayed at the Contemporary, the Wilderness Lodge and the Buena Vista Palace in addition to the Swan. If you have more questions (you're yackerz...of course you do!) I'll check in later.
    You'll have a blast, but don't underestimate the heat and humidity there, it is honestly brutal and can bring even a young, fit person to their knees quickly.

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    You'll have a blast, but don't underestimate the heat and humidity there, it is honestly brutal and can bring even a young, fit person to their knees quickly.
    It is good to hear from you Snorklets I am glad you remember me. It has been a little while. ! My life post wedding is going great! I hope everything is going well for you.

Yes, I can imagine it will be tough. With the EMH, it seems like the best option is to frequent the parks after closing and skip say 2-5 in the mid-afternoon when I'm sure it is packed and super hot.
    The reason I think the dolphin or swan may be the better option is because it's so close to Epcot / DHS. Of course, I love Disney theming eek. The other ones are just out of my price range unfortunately as they seem to be almost double that of a Moderate. I also like the looks of Coronodo Springs and that seems to be more in my price range.

SO!!! let me add that as an option: Coronodo Springs, French Quarter Riverside, or Dolphin/Swan.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Glad to hear your life is going well.

If you're really only going to be in your room to sleep and shower, the theming isn't that important. The rooms at the Swan are large and clean and have a good view.

If you're staying on-property (in a Disney hotel) you can take advantage of the magic mornings/late nights (i forget the proper name) where one park each day opens early or stays open late for hotel guests. That allows you some extra time away from the heat of the day and the massive crowds.

Your plan is good...in the heat of the day go back to your room and rest or swim in the pool, eat something, then go back.

The water launch takes you from the Swan/Dolphin to the back entrance of Epcot, in the middle of the World Showcase. We found that was a really good spot to enter and exit.

• Disney aficionado

Location vs. theme ... such a tough question!
    Price wise its a toss up. Swan / Dolphin on a whole look to be more expensive on average than the moderate coronodo or port orleans.
    I do have AAA membership discount I can apply for either. The best deal I seen for Swan/Dolphin is with teacher pricing. However, Swan/Dolphin adds a $10 a day "resort fee" for giving you 2 waters, a newspaper, a coffee, and some other unwanted items.

Then there's that ridiculous sales tax eek haha. O yes, the added fee to have my car there as well.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yea that resort fee is so dumb!
    Swan and Dolphin is nice. When we stayed at Dolphin, we had a bottom room with an inside view... very pretty. The food court these is really good too! But it is more like a regular hotel room and the grounds are all right. The room are all inside, in a hallway. I liked that.

It is close to Epcot but Port Orleans is is right next to Magic Kingdom. I have stayed at French Quarter (but not Riverside) and i LOVED it!! We were on the river. The grounds are sooooo pretty! There is a lot more stuff to do. The food court was pretty good. They have live entertainment at night too. The beds and decor were a bit better I think. But the rooms all exit outdoors.

For the same price, I'd stay at FQ over Dolphin in a heartbeat.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disney aficionado

I didn't know Port Orleans was close to MK. I thought it was kind of off to the side near DTD.
    Well if Disney offers any incentives next year similiar to this year Port Orleans will be around the same price as Dolphin with teacher discount.

The feel of staying at a plantation like building is growing on me. Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia area. We'll see if the wife likes it.

Also, does anyone find it funny but almost all the moderates come standard with a ceiling fan! I'm sure they still have A/C, right? I guess in the winter in Florida you may want a fan not the A/C.
    Last edited by Yackerz; 07-02-2010 at 09:40 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It's near both. You can take a boat to DTD - very nice ride! Bu it is a quick trip to the MK. But like Snorklet's Mom said - going in the back entrance to EPCOT is really convenient!

They do all have a/c too
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    I didn't know Port Orleans was close to MK. I thought it was kind of off to the side near DTD.
    Well if Disney offers any incentives next year similiar to this year Port Orleans will be around the same price as Dolphin with teacher discount.

The feel of staying at a plantation like building is growing on me. Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia area. We'll see if the wife likes it.

Also, does anyone find it funny but almost all the moderates come standard with a ceiling fan! I'm sure they still have A/C, right? I guess in the winter in Florida you may want a fan not the A/C.

It is close to DTD, but the bus ride seems shorter than some of the other hotels because it's a fairly straight shot to the MK without many lights or traffic.

Also, don't forget not only is there a boat to EPCOT at the Swan/Dolphin, but a boat to the Studios as well. Helps save some time.

Also, if you're planning on using Disney's Magical Express, it does NOT offer service to the Swan/Dolphin, so that might affect your decision.

One other idea...Disney traditionally puts out pin codes for discounts on hotels. You can check. MouseSavers.com - Disney Discount Source - Disney World Discounts, Disneyland Discounts, Disney Cruise Discounts to see what the discounts are as it gets closer. While they say discounts are going to lesser in the years to come, it still might be cheaper to stay at Riverside and take advantage of those pin codes if they become available.

I really think if money is a main factor, Port Orleans is the way to go. I really think it will be cheaper in the long run. I get the teacher discount as well, and it hasn't been as generous as it has in the past. Although it could be when you're going that is a factor.

If money were no object, with your choices I would go with Swan/Dolphin. Otherwise, Port Orleans is the way to go.

Any other questions, ask! I've stayed at a vast majority of the places on property, and Port Orleans is one of my favorites!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney aficionado

Thanks for the advice!

After look at the port orleans riverside with my wife, she does like the look of it on the outside, but favors the more hotel feel of the swan/dolphin. Even if it is a little more $, since we are only staying for 3 nights it may be worth the better location / more comfort. Price wise Port Orleans does look cheaper though especially after % discounts that I saw on mousesavers.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

You won't regret it. It's also nice to be in a great location near the Yacht/Beach, and Boardwalk, and know you've only paid about 1/3 of the price.

You can't go wrong with either choice, but the Swan really is pretty awesome.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney aficionado

thanks yes.. I am sure I'll be surrounded by lots of people that have far more money than me there, which can be good in one way and bad in another. Money isn't everything though; I have an intellect of a millionaire and the personality of the King of England .