Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Swan/Dolphin

Stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in January and LOVED it. it is outstanding. We are heading back first week in Dec. (staying at Coronado Springs) because we got free dining. If I could have justified the difference between the CS and WL (over $1,000) I would have gone back. If you are talking a couple hundred, I would do it. Transportation is not a big issue, the buses were fine and with a short boat ride to the contemporary or MK you can hop on the monorail. We actually loved taking the boat everywhere we could it was a great perk. My kids also loved the water parade every night. They still talk about it.

• Disney aficionado

ya $1,000 difference is quite a bunch.
    For me, comparing my other alternative that my wife may like is (Swan/Dolphin) which will come to about $160 a night. Wilderness with a AAA discount about $215 a night. If I get another 10%-15% on some promotion, that will make the prices even closer.
    We are staying 3 nights thus $55 difference X 3 = $165 difference. At most it will be $265 difference for 3 nights. Relatively speaking that is about 1 night more at the other place I could be spending.

However, what I assumed is that the hotel will be at Value season not Regular season which has rack rates at $300. If that is the case the difference instantly doubles and I may as well go with the Dolphin unfortunately. I'm just clinging to the hope that I will have some "Value season" weeks during the summer (Late july to Mid August) at the deluxes as is currently the offer.

In my mind, I can justify $200 difference to enjoy the Wilderness lodge but not $400. Also, if we stay at the dolphin.

I unfortunately, will be too tempted to get a hopper pass since we will be so close to DHS and Epcot lol!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If you plan things to this degree, you can surely adjust the dates of your trip.

• Disney aficionado

Lol, I don't know if that is sarcasm or not. As much as I plan things, I always tend to be flexible when it comes to things. I just like to know all the options before I weigh in on the best one for our trip.

The problem lies in the fact WDW there is a gazillion options!
    However, I do got most of them narrowed down.

Food choices: LeCellier is a must and Be Our Guest if its open. 50's Prime Time Cafe is a must also. Everything else *shrugs* maybe one more TS max.
    Pecco's, Columbia Harbor House, Flame Tree BBQ, Sunshine seasons (QS options that seem good from reviews)

Hopper vs. non-hopper? big question mark here. 4 days of it regardless and no waterparks

Hotel: Dolphin vs. Wilderness. Wilderness if cheaper rates are available is the answer. Dolphin if not.

Car: Hotwire.com prices and no worries with it.

Plane: Look into with more detail closer to the trip.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

(Maybe a little, but I meant it in a friendly way)

• Disney aficionado

so do you think they would let me book now for my June / July vacation and do you think they will give me a 25% discount for me being aware they have one now lol? Or don't they book disney resorts this far in advance / when would be a good time to book it at the wilderness lodge?

Do they release the value / regular season dates anytime in 2010?

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Well on-line you can't book past December, but I am not sure if that is the case if you call them.
    I never stayed at the WL but I have been to the hotel for dinner. It is a beautiful hotel. Much nicer than the Swan and Dolphin.
    If you are looking to save $$ I would drop the hopper passes, since you can easily spend the entire day at 1 park and not hop.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Disney aficionado

I decided not to get the hopper passes and instead ordered 4 day tickets today before the price increase from undercovertourist.com and mousesavers special offer saving me $9 per ticket. I e-mailed Walt Disney World customer service and they said,

"> You are welcome to call 407-W-DISNEY and book a room only reservation
    > until the packages are released for next year. Room only reservations
    > may be booked up to 499 days in advance, however, the rates would not be
    > guaranteed."

This makes it seem like I can book a room; then they can charge me whatever price they want lol. I decided not to get a "package", since a package may have free dining, but since I'm only staying 3 nights most packages don't offer free dining for 3 nights.
    Last edited by Yackerz; 07-27-2010 at 02:22 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

If you or your wife are teachers, Swan/Dolphin did offer an educator's discount. Lemme see if I can find more info...

http://www.swandolphin.com/promos/teachers/pen/

PEN= professional educator's network, so I don't know if that helps you or not. I don't remember them having that caveat attached to the discount last time I looked, but it might be worth the phone call.
    Last edited by SusieP.; 07-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I've used the educators discount. It really is negligible in terms of price. Might be when you're going, since when we used it for Labor Day 2008 it was a great price, but I called to see what the price was for Columbus Day this year it was much higher.

EDIT: After looking at SusieP's link, things have changed it seemed. Though I did call and was quoted a higher price, perhaps they have a standard, non PEN discount that I was told?

Here's the one I probably used when I tried:
    http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/teachers/index.html
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Yackerz,

I've stayed at all of the WDW hotels. All of the Deluxe hotels are great. However, I don't usually end up spending much time in my room other than to sleep. Therefore, I like to save my money for tickets and dining. As a result, I default to the best deal (whatever that is). I never stay at the budget properties any more because of all the kids and terrible transportation.

Between Wilderness Lodge and Swan/Dolphin, the Wilderness Lodge is nicer. HOWEVER, the Swan and Dolphin are very comfortable, very close to EPCOT and all of the dining of the Epcot area hotels. AND Swan/Dolphin are usually much cheaper.

Here's a thought, contact our travel agent Fairy Godmother Travel Fairy Godmother Travel and ask her what she thinks and what the best deals and packages are for your travel dates. She gets access to the specials and travel agent deals, so it is almost always your best way to go. Plus, she takes REALLY good care of the MiceChatters.

Let us know what you decide.

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If she gets you a really good deal, I want to come with!

• Disney aficionado

Thanks dusty! I'll prob talk to the fairy godmother a little closer to the date. It is between Wilderness and Swan/Dolphin. The Moderates seem very similar to the values to me. If the swan/dolphin is way cheaper say $150 or more cheaper I'll probably go with them. Otherwise, I'll go with the Wilderness.

I looked into the teacher discount at the Swan/Dolphin and it seemed the same as the AAA discount roughly. Not sure what the PEN association is. I work at a public school, so I'm sure I'm not a member lol.

Yes, we probably won't be spending a ton of time in the hotel. However, we will be getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night to have enough energy for the day. I will need good sleep . I'm very particular on the beds I lay my head haha.

• Disney aficionado

OK I couldn't resist and did contact the fairy Godmother today.

This is what she said:

"HI Eric!

I will be happy to hang on to your dates and let you know when a special comes out.

As far as location, the Swan and Dolphin are great, but I have stayed in both and the Wilderness Lodge, and for me a Disney property cannot be beat. I felt like the Swan and Dolphin were just hotel rooms, while a Disney property has that special Disney touch if you know what I mean.

You need a room only for 3 nights and prefer the Wilderness Lodge. If I might make a suggestion, you might want to pick some dates and get the room you want at the Wilderness Lodge (standard view is the least expensive and the hardest to get when a special comes out). Deposit (which is a one night’s deposit) and just sit tight on that reservation. A room only just needs the first night’s deposit to hold it, then when the special comes out I could have it applied and you would have the least expensive room that everyone wants! You can reserve the rooms now, however the prices have not really been set, they can vary slightly until they are “officially” released. You can always cancel the room up to 6 days in advance of arrival.

I would shoot for the June 20th date, as the crowds and heat are not at their peak yet for the summer months.

Have a Disney Day!!"

I replied with my concerns about the dates and the best deal available for those dates. Also some questions on the prices. Fairy Godmother does seem like a great way to book a trip to Disney World though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    I'm very particular on the beds I lay my head haha.
    If you are serious about this, the beds at the Swan and Dolphin beat the Disney beds hands (heads?) down. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

However, looking at current discounts and prices, the WL would, if the discounts continue, come awfully close to the Swan and Dolphin.

Taking advantage of holding the room is a good idea. Make sure you know the cancellation policy though, especially if you're not 100% sure you'll be able to go. WDW is pretty good with that policy, and it's better to hold the room and apply the discounts as they appear, since you are at least guaranteed a standard room.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast