Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

All-Star movies vs Caribbean Beach

Through our AAA agent, we are given a choice of two hotels, one is more expensive than the other, but not by too much. Can someone please explain the major deal-breaker differences between the two hotels?

All-Star Movies: what is it like? I've seen some exterior pics that have been posted in back pages of this forum, but how about some interior pics that people have taken?

What are some good and some bad points?

Also, my parents remember that 5 years ago when they went, across from the all-star music, about a 5 minute walk, there was a McDonald's (which I know is not on the dining plan). Is that still there?

Caribbean Beach Resort - we don't know in what section we will be placed if we choose this. It looks nice, but is it worth the extra money? Are the food choices better and a better distance to most of the parks?

Also - one side question, what is the weather typically like in Orlando the beginning of December? For the free dining plan and cheap airfare, our dates will be Nov. 30-Dec 5.

Also, is this a value season (ie - less crowded) with much shorter waits or is this more getting more crowded as is longer, but not peak season lines?

Sorry for all the questions - but we are just wanting to make sure we get the most out of our visit and my parents have a lot of questions.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: All-Star movies vs Caribbean Beach

The best pictures I can think of are at http://www.allears.net they have pictures of all the rooms, exteriors, and amenities of all WDW resorts.

If you're planning to just sleep and shower in your room, the All Stars are fine. The buses might share between all 3 of them however, especially since it is the off season.

The beginning of December is considered the off or value seaons according to Disney, and it's supposed to be one of the best times to go between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We went last year for the weekend with other MCers and waits weren't bad at all!

That McDonalds is still there. In fact, it just finished an extensive refurbishment of its exterior within the year. It's a little farther to walk though, in my opinion. Not as close as it would seem, especially from All Star Movies.

The Caribbean Beach has a few more amenities, such as a marina on the lake, and is closer to EPCOT and the Studios. It also has its own dedicated bus, so there definitely would be no sharing here. It also has a sit down restaurant, which the All Stars do not.

There are also a little bigger than the Value resorts, so depending on how many people are in the room, that might be a consideration as well.

I've stayed at the 2, and I would probably stay at the Caribbean Beach over the All Stars. More amenities, closer to the parks I want to be at (especially during the holidays), better theme, and more food options. If isn't much more, I would go with that.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask away! That's what we're here for!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Here is a map of the Caribbean Beach Resort. As you can see, it is a huge resort. I stayed there back in 2006, and I really liked it. What section you end up in at this resort can "make or break" your stay there. I was in the Aruba section. The trick here is to try and not be too far away from Old Port Royale/Centertown, which is where the foodcourt is located. At this resort, you check in in one building, and the foodcourt, and other amenities are in a different one.

You can request a certain section when you book your trip. Make this request through your travel agent, or with whoever you talk to, if you call Disney direct yourself, which is what I did. Some sections are considered preferred, and are a bit extra. The preferred rooms are the closest to Old Port Royale, and the pools, and some rooms that face the lake are preferred.

This resort also has an internal bus system. That means that you can go to your nearest bus stop and it will take you on a trip around the resort stopping at all the other bus stops, one of them being Old Port Royale. That bus can get you to the foodcourt building and save you a long walk.

This is the perfect resort for someone who wants to do a lot of relaxing on their trip. Good planning and you can end up near a bus stop, not too far from a pool if you want to swim, and close enough to the foodcourt for your dining. That is important if you are taking advantage of free dining.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 08-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Senior Minion

Thanks! We were also considering Shades Of Green, since my dad is Civilian DOD, but it was more expensive when you add in transportation and dining.

So, for our money's worth, looks like All-Star movies it will be. Travel agent said all they had available was a premium room and lots of the hotels were booked, almost making me think that it was a semi-peak season. But $10 for 24 hours of internet? Yikes!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• and too all a good fright

I've done three trips during the first week in December and compared to other times of the year the waits have been significantly shorter (though over the years, I've seen the park get busier at this time of year). Most planning tips for the rest of the year (getting there before the park opens, etc) still apply to this time of year too. It is one of my favorite times of the year to go.

Weather wise - the days are very pleasant usually in the seventies and you can get away with jeans, sometimes shorts, and a short sleeve shirt. The nights can get pretty chilly and I'd recommend bringing a sweatshirt.

I've stayed at movies before and it is a nice resort. As yoyo said, the bus wait can be a bit longer than other resorts. As I recall none of the buildings were too far of a walk from the bus dropoff.

• Senior Minion

That weather sounds amazing!!! Our temps are usually low 40's to low 30's by Thanksgiving, so that will be a nice break!

Stayed at the Caribean in 05, and the All Star in 07. Both are nice, didn't dislike either one. The all star had more kids and was more kid oriented overall, while hte caribean was very nice for 2 adults. Caribean has a nice food court, multiple pools, and just a very nice vibe overall. If your saving money the all stars are OK, but if i had a choice I'd go to the Caribean again.

In 07 we went in early december, and the weather was perfect. Warm during the day, cold at night. Even went to Blizzard Beach in December, pretty crazy.

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    Through our AAA agent, we are given a choice of two hotels, one is more expensive than the other, but not by too much. Can someone please explain the major deal-breaker differences between the two hotels?
    Those are pretty limited options. They won't let you pick Pop Century? If I had to pick a value, I would stay there. You don't have to share a bus like the all-stars. All star movies isn't bad though, I sitayed at All Star Sports awhile back and it was nice enough. Lots of kids is right. Caribbean also gives you a refrigerator in which you pay extra for one at the All-Stars. Of course, if you are getting a premium room, you may be getting one anyways in your deal.

Caribbean looks OK, but I don't know if its features justify the difference in price. Same beds, a little bigger rooms, and a little better theming.

• Golden State of Mind

I always thought Caribbean Beach was HUGE. I've always heard unless you're lucky you'll be doing a lot of walking. Of course you're at WDW so theres going to be plenty of walking anyway
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Hi there. I just wanted to throw my two cents into the discussion!

Resort size and transporation: ASMovies is smaller than CBR, however you will share a bus with all three All Star resorts. Depending on wait times at the transporation stops, the wait could be just as long as if you were staying at CBR (it's typical to have long wait times as CBR is HUGE).

Value vs. Moderate: By staying at the All Star resorts, you'll save on cash. You'll also be able to go to any of the shops and dining areas at each of the All Star hotels pretty easily. However, the CBR rooms have a bit more space; also, many of the rooms have been upgraded (Nemo and Pirate themed rooms cost a bit extra). The resort is breathtaking and you'll feel like you're in the islands the minute you check in at the Customs House. And there are "private" beach by each building!! If you're curious about CBR or just want to take pictures, you can always take a bus to one of the parks and stop here for lunch or dinner.

Lastly... Pop Warner: While there are no concrete dates, there are reports on other sites that Pop Warner will be held from Dec 4-11, 2010. This is when cheerleaders and other sports groups (I think) meet up yearly for competitions at (ESPN) Wide World of Sports, and generally stay at All Stars (usually ASSports), but also are booked into the moderate resorts as well. Most of the groups are well behaved, but if this is an issue for you (some guests REALLY don't like visiting when Pop Warner is around) just be aware that buses and dining areas might be more crowded than usual because of the influx of teens, parents/chaperones.

Hope this helps some!

• Senior Minion

Does anyone know if there are any restaurants within walking distance of Movies resort that have free wi-fi?

• Pilot EdForceOne

The all stars are basically one resort. It's just broken down into three areas with different themes... movies, sports, music.

This is why they 'share' buses. The whole thing is just down the same street, and yes McDonalds is at the head-end of that street. It's about .4 miles from the McDonalds to the first All Stars. The Sports is the first complex on the road.

If you want to look at walking distances - use this site Gmaps Pedometer

Walking anywhere outside a property in WDW doesn't really work. They don't have sidewalks generally, and the distances are great. An exception I can think of is the Shades of Green, where you can walk to the Poly and TTC.

Since you mention you can use the Shades of Green, I highly recommend it. You'll save on both hotel AND tickets. You should also check if you can buy into the Disney promos via the MWR program and get the free dining (not likely).

Shades of Green is like a nice, non-luxury hotel. Think Holiday Inn Select, Hyatt, etc. It's not Disney themed, but its good sized, and affordable.

The Disney Values are basically motels (not hotels) with a Disney theme slapped on and a food court.

IMO - the moderates have not been worth the substantial price increase. The moderates are less of a motel, and should have bigger beds, and nicer 'environments'. But the transportation and locations aren't really better, nor are the food options. You're basically paying for a nicer hotel room - and you need to decide if that is worth it for you.

I personally rent a car and avoid the transportation issues and last three trips have stayed in PopC, AllStar Sports, and Shades of Green. Shades of Green wins for hotel, location, value, and transportation.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

We decided on the value just because it's cheaper. With Shades of green, once we factored in the per night cost, the dining plan and airport transportation, it was quite a bit more and we didn't want to go that high.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The all stars are basically one resort. It's just broken down into three areas with different themes... movies, sports, music.

This is why they 'share' buses. The whole thing is just down the same street, and yes McDonalds is at the head-end of that street. It's about .4 miles from the McDonalds to the first All Stars. The Sports is the first complex on the road.

If you want to look at walking distances - use this site Gmaps Pedometer

Walking anywhere outside a property in WDW doesn't really work. They don't have sidewalks generally, and the distances are great. An exception I can think of is the Shades of Green, where you can walk to the Poly and TTC.

Since you mention you can use the Shades of Green, I highly recommend it. You'll save on both hotel AND tickets. You should also check if you can buy into the Disney promos via the MWR program and get the free dining (not likely).

Shades of Green is like a nice, non-luxury hotel. Think Holiday Inn Select, Hyatt, etc. It's not Disney themed, but its good sized, and affordable.

The Disney Values are basically motels (not hotels) with a Disney theme slapped on and a food court.

IMO - the moderates have not been worth the substantial price increase. The moderates are less of a motel, and should have bigger beds, and nicer 'environments'. But the transportation and locations aren't really better, nor are the food options. You're basically paying for a nicer hotel room - and you need to decide if that is worth it for you.

I personally rent a car and avoid the transportation issues and last three trips have stayed in PopC, AllStar Sports, and Shades of Green. Shades of Green wins for hotel, location, value, and transportation.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    We decided on the value just because it's cheaper. With Shades of green, once we factored in the per night cost, the dining plan and airport transportation, it was quite a bit more and we didn't want to go that high.
    ??? The only thing that should matter is the dining plan. Air transport is independent of where you stay - that's not part of Disney's deals at all. That is the travel agent.

When you are buying the tickets through the travel agent, you aren't getting the military price (nor freedom from sales tax).

Make sure you are truely comparing apples to apples. The only thing that you'd lose with SoG is the dining plan. And if that is worth it is a whole 'nother discussion.

The tax savings and ticket discounts are pretty significant. The ticket prices alone are generally the highest cost per person of your entire trip.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

By air transportation, I meant transportation to and from the airport to the hotel. With the value, we get the magical express, with SoG, there is no discount or bus, we have to provide our own.

Plus, their tickets price (for the magic stars and stripes) is $51 more than just the park hopper, which is what we want, we don't have the time for 2 water parks in addition to WWoS, plus all 4 parks. It'd be a waste (plus 1 water park will be closed anyway).

We did the math after we called to get estimates from them, and when the room is just used for sleeping, we don't care to pay much, we know what we want to pay and what we can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ??? The only thing that should matter is the dining plan. Air transport is independent of where you stay - that's not part of Disney's deals at all. That is the travel agent.

When you are buying the tickets through the travel agent, you aren't getting the military price (nor freedom from sales tax).

Make sure you are truely comparing apples to apples. The only thing that you'd lose with SoG is the dining plan. And if that is worth it is a whole 'nother discussion.

The tax savings and ticket discounts are pretty significant. The ticket prices alone are generally the highest cost per person of your entire trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast