Value Resort Suggestions

New poster here!
    Any suggestions??? I am debating a visit in January and am looking at the All Star Resorts and Pop Century. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for any info!!

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Re: Value Resort Suggestions

I have never stayed at the All Star Resorts, but I did stay at Pop Century last August. We were in the 70's building, and I really enjoyed it. The resort is arranged very nice. The Food Court was great, and I had absolutely no complaints about the bus transportation. I would definitely stay there again. I went during Value Season, so the cost of my room with the AAA discount was only about $75 a night.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Seasick

I've only stayed at Pop Century, in October.

It's fine, a basic motel with a coat of Disney paint to make it seem more special than a Super 8 down the road.

I found the crowds and wait times for busses were a bit worse than at a moderate resort, but nothing unreasonable. The waiting area for the busses was very spartan, just a chain link fence.

The resort isn't too large, so you're never far from the amenities.

The pool seemed to stay very busy very late, so you might want to avoid a room that overlooks it.

My understanding is that the biggest advantage Pop Century has over All Stars is that it has its' own bus service. At All Stars, you share with all three resorts, so that will mean extra time on the bus.

I do recommend staying at a moderate resort if your budget allows. The difference in quality is well worth it. There are some discounts or deals (free dining?) for that time, are there not?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I've heard pop is better than the all stars. I stayed in All Star music and liked it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post

I do recommend staying at a moderate resort if your budget allows. The difference in quality is well worth it. There are some discounts or deals (free dining?) for that time, are there not?
    This^

It really, really, really is worth the extra few bucks.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Calls WDW "Home".

We love POP Century. They have their own dedicated bus service, so it is quicker back and forth and you aren't fighting the people from 2 other value resorts.

We stayed in the 60s building facing the lake. It was very quiet.

They have recently remodeled the rooms(not sure if 100% done yet).

Food court is very large. Staff is wonderful. Pools are open 24/7, so you may not want to overlook them.

It is a very BIG resort, so it is a bit of a walk to things if you have a room off to one of the sides.

The rooms themselves are rather small(it's a value resort), but nice. Nothing spectacular.

I will definitely stay at POP again.
    2010 Stanley Cup Champions!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Really the only big difference is the bus service. The buses to All Stars are more crowded because the same line serves all three resorts.

The rooms and amenities are virtually the same. The difference (which you can't always control) is how far you are from your parking spot or bus stop. All of these properties are quite large, so it's possible to be a good walk from where you want to be.

At pop you can pay more for a room near the main building and pool. Last time at all star sports, our building was right next to ample parking and we had a car so that was great.

As long as you are looking for a motel experience - you'll be fine. Think Super8.. RedRoofInn.. etc and that's basically what you are getting. With a large central food court.

Beds are only doubles... small bathroom.. small rooms.. etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I have stayed at all 4 Values and they are all the same. The rooms are small, they don't have a free fridge or coffee maker. If you are OK with that, you will be OK with the values. When I go, I do upgrade to the premium rooms to be closer to the food court and pool. If you don't want the noise, don't take those rooms.
    Most people prefer Pop since it doesn't share a bus. I have never used the bus systems from the value resorts ( I always rented a car) so I can't comment on that. My next trip we are not renting, so I may have something to say than!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

I've stayed at all 4 and there are only a few differences. POP has a better food court and an extra pool, but it also has 4 floors instead of 3, so 33% more people. As for the buses, the All Stars only share in the middle of the day. For rope drop and about 90 minutes after, each has their own buses. Same thing at night, about 90 minutes before close they get their own bus. They are close enough that if there is a significantly shorter line for one, you can hop that bus and hoof it to your resort.
    Between late October and April AS-Sports will host a lot of groups of teens and tends to be loud. All 3 All Stars host Pop Warner the first week of December, so that week I highly recommend POP. If you drive, take a sturdy cooler and you won't miss the fridge. The ice machines at all 4 are great and put out massive product.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I found the crowds and wait times for busses were a bit worse than at a moderate resort, but nothing unreasonable. The waiting area for the busses was very spartan, just a chain link fence.
    I've gone during peak season (July) and I've gone during off-peak season (February) and I LIVE for resort hopping, and we've waited over ten minutes for buses from Yacht & Beach Club, AK Lodge and Coronado Springs, and over 15 minutes for buses to show up to the Grand Floridian, yet, we never waited more than 3-5 minutes any time we stayed at the Value resorts. And if you want to talk about the waiting areas, they're pretty tiny, almost as if they were forgotten about until the last minute. You have one family of five with strollers and you've filled some of the bus stops quite nicley. It's as if Disney COUNTS on Guests at Moderate and Deluxe resorts finding other ways to get to the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sno1fan View Post
    [All-Stars] are close enough that if there is a significantly shorter line for one, you can hop that bus and hoof it to your resort.
    Sometimes, too, the bus stop for the other All-Star resort is closer to your room than the actual resort bus.

The Value resorts are closer to EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, but furthest from Magic Kingdom, which is fine for us because we spend the most time at EPCOT, and then just take the Monorail to Magic Kingdom.

As for preference, I did like Pop only slightly better than the All-Stars, but being a resort hopping junkie, I also like being able to walking around three resorts with three different themes, so it really is a toss up!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sno1fan View Post
    Between late October and April AS-Sports will host a lot of groups of teens and tends to be loud. All 3 All Stars host Pop Warner the first week of December, so that week I highly recommend POP. If you drive, take a sturdy cooler and you won't miss the fridge. The ice machines at all 4 are great and put out massive product.
    When we stayed at Sports 2 years ago there was something going on, some sports event that they were hosting and it was very noisy. Traveling with young children who need to sleep, we had asked to have our rooms changed to a back area which was more secluded. We originally had rooms facing the courtyard. They changed it with no problem and it made all the difference in the world!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

For the money, the value resorts are probably the worst option. In general if you are staying at a value its because you want to keep a tight budget. You can find offsite hotels as cheap or cheaper and if you look around can also find them with a fridge and microwave (to save on food).

The room are pretty much what you would find in a Motel 6. Very small bathrooms with a door that just misses the toilet when it opens or closes... I have only limited experience from trying both the pop and all star, I time at each. They were really the same experience.... very noisy at both... 1 we were in a room near the stairs and heard constant thumping of people going up and down all hours of the night... If you look around for special deals you might be able to find a moderate for very little more than a full priced value and it you would guarantee yourself a much better experience.

Also you might try and keep up with the specials that are offered to annual pass holders, sometimes they have very good deals which can more than pay for the additional cost of an annual pass vs the ticket you would already buy in the hotel savings alone... If you do consider that option, remember that only the person getting the room needs to have the annual pass. So you can buy only 1 for yourself and let your kids and spouse buy normal tickets, yet all get the benefit of the cheaper room.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I stayed at Pop Century last August, and I really enjoyed my stay there. We had connecting rooms on the 2nd floor in the 70's section.

For some people, who don't drive, staying off property is not an option. I know that some off property hotels have shuttles, but I'm not sure if those operate as frequenly as the Disney ones do.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort