20-year old couple going to WDW - best hotel?

Hi guys!

My boyfriend and I have never taken a trip together and we really, really want to go to Disney World (neither of us have been since we were little children and we thought it would be romantic). However, we're both finishing up college, so we don't have too much money.

What is the best place for a cheap couple to stay? I've been doing some scavenging around, and it seems like All-Star Sports is the cheapest hotel, but maybe you guys have a better idea?

We plan on going anywhere from the 1st of January to the 17th (somewhere in there). What would be the best time within there to go? How long (like how many days would be the best value/get everything done?)

Thank you!!
    Last edited by PeterPansWendy; 11-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Forget them, Wendy. Forget them all.
    Come with me where you'll never, never have to worry about grownup things again ♥

Hoping to take a Disney Trip sometime this winter!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: 20-year old couple going to WDW - best hotel?

I have stayed at Pop Century, and it is really a fun hotel. At least I thought so. It is another of the Value resorts. The foodcourt is nice, and the bus service worked really well for me.

• Future Princess

I'm a strong supporter of the Port Orleans Riverside resort. I loved it while we were there, and it has a fabulous food court. The bussing was a bit of a pain, but the rest of the resort was totally worth it. It's a bit more than the All-Star resorts, but it's very quiet and peaceful, which is what I would love to have if traveling with my significant other.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

If you can afford it, I would upgrade to a moderate, particularly Port Orleans French Quarter. It's smaller than Riverside, and still maintains a very romantic atmosphere. Well worth the upgrade.

If the money is too tight, I would head to Pop Century. It's the newest and most interesting (in my opinion) of all the values.

Also, check out http://www.mousesavers.com for any info on cheaper rates, free dining, etc. You're bound to find any discounts that are available there!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney aficionado

If you can upgrade to a moderate, you aren't that far from upgrading to the Wilderness Lodge which is truly an immersive resort. As my wife and I (23 and 25 years old), are planning on doing next summer

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

If college is anything for you like it was for me, you don't have enough money to afford a mod or (!) a deluxe. Of the values, I think All Star Music is the best for young couples--it has fewer children than the other 3 values and is therefore a bit more romantic. See if you qualify for the free dining promotion!
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Disney aficionado

Yes, I do need to add we both have full time jobs and have our college debt paid off (lots of scholarships helped.)

Pricewise you are looking at a $50 to $100 per night difference between a moderate and the wilderness lodge. I picked a time of the year, where there's roughly a $75 price difference. (not including discounts). You may get a better discount for a deluxe than a moderate too making that difference get closer to $50.

Look into the free meal plans, but it may be cheaper since you are only getting 2 free meal plans to go with just a discount on the room rate alone and just pay for food out of your pocket.

You really don't get a ton between a value and a moderate with better room quality. The only plus I see is mainly more of a romantic type atmosphere outside of your room. The rooms are both double sized beds and roughly the same size.