Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Pop Century for $387 or Port orleans RS for $667 for 5 nights??

I have stayed at both resorts, and I enjoyed myself both times. If it were me, with just one other person in February, I'd stay at Pop Century. You then can spend the money that you saved on some nice dining. Splurge on a nice dinner at Ohana, or California Grill. Enjoy Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Lounge in the Grand Floridian Hotel. Resort Hopping is fun and can be done by use of the monorail at the Magic Kingdom resorts, or take a walk from Epcot, and check out the Epcot Resorts. I love to visit the Beach Club and the Yacht Club, and have a yummy desert at Beaches and Cream.

•   
    • Minion

I stayed at French Quarter at port orleans and I ca tell you it is a great resort. One of the better ones I have stayed at. being able to boat to DTD is so awesome. the grounds are really cool looking and you can walk to the riverside resort as well. i would stay there!! In fact I am when i go in feb

Thanks for all the input. We've decided to stay an extra night so we will be there for Valentines day. That's a 6 night stay. Different prices for the 6 nights are below.

Pop centruy 6 nights = $474 total

Pop century 6 nights preferred room = $542

Port Orleans Riverside 6 nights standard view= $797

AK Lodge for 6 nights standard view= $1,368

Wilderness Lodge for 6 nights courtyard view= $1,353

Carribbean Beach (king bed)- $923

Or we could divide it up 3 nights at Pop and then 3 nights at a mod or deluxe

Pop Wed.- Friday and AKL Lodge Saturday- Monday= $914 (saving $454 over 6 nights at AKL)

Pop Wed- Friday and AKL Saturday-Monday= $906 (Saving $447 over 6 nights at Wilderness Lodge)

Pop Wed-Friday and Port Orleans RS Saturday- Monday= $628 (Saving $169 over 6 nights at Port Orleans RS)

What seems the best deal to you? Are Deluxe resorts worth an extra $900, or at the end of the day, is a moderate the sweet spot. Or do you say heck it's disney, stay at a value resort, keep your money in the bank... you'll have an awesome time either way?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have done split stays before at WDW. It was only that way, that I got to stay at the Beach Club, and The Grand Floridian. I think you need to decide what type of a vacation you want. You might want to start your vacation at the Value resort, and on those days spend a lot of time in the parks. You can then switch over to the higher priced hotel, and plan some more relaxing days, so you are able to enjoy the added amenities at one of those hotels. The hotels at WDW are very accomodating about moving your bags from one hotel to the other. They did that very nicely for me when I did my split stays.

In the end you need to figure out the maximum amount of money that you are willing to spend. I always had a budget for each of my trips, and in the end that helped me make choices easier. I figured I can't do it all on one trip, so I kept in mind that "there's always next time" to stay at a different resort. I have enjoyed all of the resorts that I have stayed at. I know some people stay at the same place each time, but for me, the resorts are part of the experience.

• Salty Misanthrope

I actually only go to WDW these days to visit the resorts, and choose to stay at Pop Century when there are excellent deals. I don't care for the All-Stars, but while Pop Century has a similar aesthetic, it also has a nice lake to walk around and (at least until recently) had a lovely zombie-themed resort to investigate.

The decision is purely subjective, of course, but I will say that Pop Century definitely has a non-real-world feel, so in that sense it has warm fuzzy Disney value. Your decision depends on how much time you spend at the resort, and whether you plan to have any meals there. If you primarily use it as a crash pad, and consider an average of 70 degrees too chilly for hanging out at the pool, I definitely recommend the Pop.

To me, the real difference in resorts is between deluxe resorts with monorail access and...pretty much everything else. The deluxe resorts within walking distance of EPCOT are nice, but I find them a bit weak in comparison to the Polynesian or Contemporary. The theming just is not to my taste.

Everything else involves a lot of bus action, and one bus is as good as any other to me.

If you're considering a day off from parking to relax, I'd take a bus to DTD, visit the Art of Disney store (and pretend the rest of that hellscape doesn't exist) and then take a nice boat ride to the French Quarter for some beignets.

Then I'd walk them off by giving the entire French Quarter/Riverside grounds a good wander, particularly Alligator Bayou. It makes the place more special if you know you're just visiting and will be returning "home" at the end of the day.

Personally I don't care for split stays, in that I find moving (in real life, when you buy a new home) to be one of the worst things in the world, and packing up base camp to move somewhere else reminds me too much of that stressful experience.

But that's just me.

Just remember that if you want to experience the benefits of a given resort (well, other than the pool, and even that depends on how adventurous you are), you don't have to stay there. Visiting a few in a day is actually quite similar to visiting one of the parks, only much cheaper and more relaxing.

And, for me, without the fury of finding out what treasured memory has been befouled most recently.

Also note that messing around with the options on the Disney website when you make the reservations can yield drastically different results. When I made my last reservation, the originally suggested room rate was twice as much as the one I settled on. I would never have known to keep looking if I were not specifically aware of the fact that $57 rooms were available.

Clicking on various discount buttons, searching in different ways, using different navigational schemes to launch the searches, and even using different browsers (differing results seem to have something to do with browser cookies) can provide different results.

Perhaps you can bypass all of the above by calling, but if you do call in, it's worth hemming and hawing about the price. Sometimes the operator can "magically" find better deals for you.

I find this type of customer service utterly baffling, but this isn't my father's Disney and all that.
    Last edited by Captain Schnemo; 12-14-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Oh boy, this is getting tough to answer! My two cents:

The Deluxe hotels are a whole "cut above" the mods and values, imo. They are hotels, (not motels) so you will have your bags valet'd to your room, have gorgeous swimming pools, a plethera of dining options, stunning lobbies (that you see a lot of, because your room is an elevator ride away). Personally, I think the crown jewel is the Wilderness Lodge, taking the prize for "immersive experience" in terms of theming, detail, ambiance, beauty, etc. There's a boat to the MK which is a fun part of the experience as well.

The moderates are more like motels, with buildings spread out over a large area. So you are only in the lobby when you check in, after that you are driving to your room, or being shuttled to a stop near your room, and you are likely lugging your own bags. The door to your room is an "outside" door. The pool/eating area may be very very far from your room (hence the "preferred" room which are closer to pool/dining). Themed, yes, and certainly much more immersive than staying off-property. But logistically, they are more of a pain in the neck, because it's all so spread out. Last time I stayed at Pop Century, our room was a very long walk from the closest parking lot, and it was cold and we were dragging our bags...

Budget is an important consideration here. You ask if the Deluxe is "worth an extra $900", well, it depends on how much nine hundred dollars is worth to you. Nine hundred buck for Bill Gates is not the same thing as nine hundred bucks for, say, a college student. So it's really hard to answer that, All I can say is that the Deluxes (particularly Wilderness Lodge, AK Lodge, and Grand Floridian) are much much nicer than the mods and values. I'd say the mods are only somewhat nicer than the values; it's a bigger step up to the deluxe.

As someone said, you do need to decide what kind of vacation you want to have. If you are never going to be in your room, there's not a lot of point in spending more money on the lodging. But you're coming for six nights? You'll probably have some relaxing time on your hands, and then where you are staying is more important.

Splitting between a moderate and a deluxe is not a bad idea, if you can deal with the move.

As I said earlier, I would highly HIGHLY recommend having a car. The buses are BAD (there has been Extensive Complaining about the buses on this forum, and I agree with every word). So, in other words, I would only stay at a pricier place if I could also have a car, and I would stay at a less-expensive place if I needed to to fit "car-rental" in the budget.

Lastly, I "second" the person above talking about how dreadful the website is with giving rates and showing what's available. In my experience, it's much better to get on the phone with a human being. Ask if there are any manager specials, and even after you've booked, you can keep checking back and looking for a better deal. You can make any changes with no penalty more than five days out.

Come back here and let us know what you decided, huh? I'm curious

• Salty Misanthrope

Good point about the difference between deluxe and the other resorts in terms of hotels and motels. I've never quite thought about them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Ask if there are any manager specials, and even after you've booked, you can keep checking back and looking for a better deal. You can make any changes with no penalty more than five days out.
    This is an excellent point. If you're getting frazzled thinking over options, you can make reservations for the length of your stay just as a placeholder, to be sure there will be rooms at a reasonable rate, then tweak the reservation later.

Once I couldn't get all the days I needed in a row at the same resort, so I made a split reservation. I called each day until I got lucky and was able to convert the split trip into one block at the same resort. But I knew that even if I wasn't successful in making the switch, at least there would be no disaster.

You can also start with a buffer of a couple days on either side of your planned trip. Sometimes you'll find shifting your start or end date by a day will yield huge savings with the airline, so it's good to have the flexibility to make those changes.

Just don't forget to drop the unnecessary days in time.

So my grandma hooked us up with 3 nights at bonnet creek (very nice time share next to Caribbean beach resort)

So now we are going to book 3 nights elsewhere. I'm thinking about going deluxe

Wilderness Lodge woods view for 3 nights ($626 total). I think that would be pretty sweet! What do you think?

Already booked a car for 6 days on price line. I bid 10 dollars a day and got a compact (step up from economy). Not bad to have a car all week for $111

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have stayed at Bonnet Creek. You will like the resort. It is smack dab in the middle of Disney World, which makes it really convenient. They do have transportation to the parks, but having your own car will definitely make your vacation a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFrost View Post
    So my grandma hooked us up with 3 nights at bonnet creek (very nice time share next to Caribbean beach resort)

So now we are going to book 3 nights elsewhere. I'm thinking about going deluxe

Wilderness Lodge woods view for 3 nights ($626 total). I think that would be pretty sweet! What do you think?

Already booked a car for 6 days on price line. I bid 10 dollars a day and got a compact (step up from economy). Not bad to have a car all week for $111
    Go for it!!! The Wilderness is wonderful. Glad you got the car. There is a boat to and from Magic Kingdom. Allow plenty of time, but it's fun and worth it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12