Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Pop Century for $387 or Port orleans RS for $667 for 5 nights??

Anyone go to the Pop Century for a stay and wish you would have upgraded to a moderate resort? It's just my wife and I, we are going in February and will spend a lot of time in the parks but we may have at least one of the 5 days where we don't go to a park at all.

These are really great prices for the week we are staying, so perhaps 5 nights at Port Orleans Riverside for $667 is worth it?

Or would you say Pop Century is fine, save the extra $280 for food and merchandise etc?

• Seasick

Re: Pop Century for $387 or Port orleans RS for $667 for 5 nights??

The difference between the value and moderate resorts is absolutely worth the extra money, for me at least.

For me Pop Century was just a place to sleep. I didn't really get any enjoyment out of just being there.

Coronado Springs and Port Orleans on the other hand, truly feel like magical, immersive, entertaining places to be. It's a pleasure just to walk through the grounds.

If you're fine with just a basic room, you might be better off putting the money towards some nicer meals, or a behind-the-scenes tour, or whatever. If you choose to go with Port Orleans however, be assured you will be getting value for that extra money you spend.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Future Princess

Port Orleans is my suggestion, but I may be a bit biased since I'm coming off a trip there and I've never stayed at the Pop Century.

It's definitely worth your money - the dining hall is wonderful and the resort itself is gorgeous. The swimming area is fun, and the shop is quite large in my opinion. If you're looking to stay in the resort one day - which is what I'm understanding from you not going to a park for a day - it would be a much more enjoyable stay if you went to Port Orleans.

• When Will It Return?

Why not sleep at Pop Century and spend your day at Port Orleans or some other resort?

Best of both worlds, no?

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

If you;re gonna hang around the hotel, or jut go to dtd one day, def go with Riverside.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Will you have a rental car? If not, I recommend Port Orleans. If you do, stay at Pop Century. The transportation is much better from Port O. If you have a car and an off day, you could spend the day driving from resort to resort and seeing the sites at all the hotels.

Thanks for the suggestions. I heard last year Disney was awfully cold in February. We are going the 9-14th, should I get my hopes up for swimming weather or prepare to put on the jacket all day?

Also, lots of POR fans here. Anyone love the pop century more?

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFrost View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I heard last year Disney was awfully cold in February. We are going the 9-14th, should I get my hopes up for swimming weather or prepare to put on the jacket all day?
    Where are you from? Being from the Pacific Northwest, I'm used to a cooler climate, and am comfortable swimming in Orlando any time of the year. If you're from the south, you might feel different.

One suggestion was to stay at Pop Century and just travel to Port Orleans to hang out for a day. Not a bad idea, but keep in mind you wouldn't be able to use the pool there, and travelling between resorts can be tedious if you don't have a car.

I'd actually recommend instead of spending a full day at your hotel, do a couple of half days. Hit a park early to take advantage of smaller crowds, and then relax at your resort in the afternoon.

Alternatively, sleep in and relax at your hotel in the AM, and then hit up a park in the evening. This would be especially useful for Evening Magic Hours. Even in the September off-season, we had one Sunday night where the Magic Kingdom was open until 1:00 AM. If you can rest up, and outlast everyone else in the park, that last hour can be golden in terms of getting onto attractions without a wait.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by ducksman View Post
    Will you have a rental car? If not, I recommend Port Orleans. If you do, stay at Pop Century. The transportation is much better from Port O. If you have a car and an off day, you could spend the day driving from resort to resort and seeing the sites at all the hotels.
    Yeah that

I actually didn't care for Port Orleans, I think Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs is much better. Pop Century rooms are pretty small, but if it's just the two of you that won't be a problem.

I do think it is highly likely that it will be too cold to use the pool. It might be warm, but probably not.

My advice? Stay at Pop Century, and use that money you save to go to Universal/Islands of Advendure on your day off. Bush Gardens (about an hour and a half away) is a surprisingly good park too.

Oh, and definitely rent a car. I know it's an added expense, but I can't stress the importance of it enough. The buses are AWFUL. You will have a much better trip if you're coming and going as you please in your own car.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksman View Post
    Yeah that

I actually didn't care for Port Orleans, I think Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs is much better. Pop Century rooms are pretty small, but if it's just the two of you that won't be a problem.

I do think it is highly likely that it will be too cold to use the pool. It might be warm, but probably not.

My advice? Stay at Pop Century, and use that money you save to go to Universal/Islands of Advendure on your day off. Bush Gardens (about an hour and a half away) is a surprisingly good park too.

Oh, and definitely rent a car. I know it's an added expense, but I can't stress the importance of it enough. The buses are AWFUL. You will have a much better trip if you're coming and going as you please in your own car.

yikes, sorry about the double post. I cant figure out how to delete it!

• MiceAge Columnist

I'm going to get rotten eggs and tomatoes hurled at me for this one, but if I had $700 in the budget, I'd stay at a really crummy motel on 192 (about $125), rent a car (about $100?), and eat at Victoria and Albert's twice ($250 per visit). I'm seldom in my room except to sleep, though
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I'm going to get rotten eggs and tomatoes hurled at me for this one, but if I had $700 in the budget, I'd stay at a really crummy motel on 192 (about $125), rent a car (about $100?), and eat at Victoria and Albert's twice ($250 per visit). I'm seldom in my room except to sleep, though
    Here here!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm no fan of Pop Century or the All Star resorts. They are loud, crowded, filled with kids and have terrible transportation to and from the parks. If you are on a budget and traveling with kids it might be worth it. But if it is just you and your wife, spring for a moderate resort if it is within your budget or do as Kevin suggests above and stay off property.

Having stayed at both of the properties you mentioned, Port Orleans is far and away the better option.

Enjoy your trip!

Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• formerly very helpful

If money is a real issue, I'd say stay at the Pop Century. (I've never stayed there, but I've stayed at All Star) However, having stayed at all of the "moderate" priced hotels on property, there is a definate difference in experience there. As has been said, it is a truly immersive environment.
    Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast