Tent Camping in WDW?

Has anyone here ever camped out at WDW in a tent? I'm not talking about one of those mac mansions on wheels. I'm talking about an light tent for two like you'd take on backpacking trips: MSR Hubba Hubba.

The rates are super cheap:

Rates & Room Types | The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort | Walt Disney World Resort

I had a mediocre experience staying at the resorts last year, so I'm curious what folks think about camping out.

• Done with MC.

Re: Tent Camping in WDW?

My only thought is it would be a bit sticky and humid w/o some form of ac but otherwise I know the CG is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    My only thought is it would be a bit sticky and humid w/o some form of ac but otherwise I know the CG is fantastic.
    Good point. While WDW buried the swamp, it's still camping in a swamp's eco system.

• Disney aficionado

I'd do it maybe when the weather changes for the cooler. In the summer, it would be pretty unbearably hot. I'm sure they have showers that you could use that are nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    I'd do it maybe when the weather changes for the cooler. In the summer, it would be pretty unbearably hot. I'm sure they have showers that you could use that are nearby?
    According the website, the campground does have showers. Now, in the fall, the humidity shouldn't be as bad.

I also found that the campground is dog friendly, so if you want to bring you dog, you can. That's awesome.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    Has anyone here ever camped out at WDW in a tent? I'm not talking about one of those mac mansions on wheels. I'm talking about an light tent for two like you'd take on backpacking trips: MSR Hubba Hubba.

The rates are super cheap:
    if the hummidity was so
    Rates & Room Types | The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort | Walt Disney World Resort

I had a mediocre experience staying at the resorts last year, so I'm curious what folks think about camping out.
    i wold tent camp if the the hummed was so bad and the and it rain so much
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan4ever View Post
    i wold tent camp if the the hummed was so bad and the and it rain so much
    Yeah. Camping at WDW might be better in fall or early winter. The summer is too busy anyway. But even in those later months, the likelihood of rain is 5-7 days a month or about a 1/6 chance of rain, which isn't bad. But then I'll also have to deal with the parks closing early like I did last year. The good news is that at around $50 a night I can camp out for almost an entire week for what it costs to stay in one of the deluxe hotels at full rack rate, and I get to control my sleeping situation.

• 1st visit 1975

We (4) went tent camping in early January at FTW, the weather was great and some RV hold overs from XMas still had their over the top decorations up! I know it may sound nuts but we rented a golf cart because the place is so big and car parking is limited except at you site. The second trip back to the Trading Post in the dark for the crucial chocolate for s'mores made it worth while.

• Disney aficionado

I'd do it over Christmas break from school. Sure the prices for tent camping there are twice as much, but $50 becoming $100 isn't as bad as doubling the prices for the resorts!

The only thing stopping me is that my wife is spoiled and would rather stay in a deluxe.

It is a great way to go to Disney on a budget for sure. I just wouldn't do it for more than 3 days.

• Former Churro Jockey

There's actually a whole community within the Disney campgrounds of people that go there all the time and camp. They always request the same camp sites every time, and usually decorate their site with all of their Disney crap (I mean memorabilia). I was there this past December on a business trip with a Disney guide, and took a tour of the campgrounds and it was pretty amazing some of the decorations that these people had up. I did get the impression though that they were kind of their own little group and if god forbid you went and were randomly assigned one of "their" camp sites and they had to camp somewhere else they would give you a very hard time about it. In general I really like Disney fans but there was some kind of vibe that I got from these people that I really didn't like at all. The log cabins though, those were very cool and I would really like to do that someday. They're very small, but cozy.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    There's actually a whole community within the Disney campgrounds of people that go there all the time and camp. They always request the same camp sites every time, and usually decorate their site with all of their Disney crap (I mean memorabilia). I was there this past December on a business trip with a Disney guide, and took a tour of the campgrounds and it was pretty amazing some of the decorations that these people had up. I did get the impression though that they were kind of their own little group and if god forbid you went and were randomly assigned one of "their" camp sites and they had to camp somewhere else they would give you a very hard time about it. In general I really like Disney fans but there was some kind of vibe that I got from these people that I really didn't like at all. The log cabins though, those were very cool and I would really like to do that someday. They're very small, but cozy.
    I would set-up the campsite the same as I would a backpacking campsite. I'm a light backpacker, but I'm not an ultra light backpacker. I still like having a tent. With gas prices so high, I have a hard time justifying a RV when I can live with sleeping under a tarp. I actually carry one with me on my day hikes in case something happens and I get stranded over night.

My girlfriend with her bad back will probably opt to sleep in a hammock.

I'm not about to bring with me a bunch of Disney stuff, but if I was coming over the xmas season, I would definitely pack xmas lights, which don't weight that much.

As for the log cabins, they look more like trailers with wood paneling than actual cabins. Has anyone here had any experience with them?

As for that vibe, I have a hard time nailing down what they would be. I generally find people on hiking trails more friendly than folks off. I can't speak to the camper folks.

Can you string up a hammock at the campsites? Are there usable trees/posts available?

• 1st visit 1975

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    Can you string up a hammock at the campsites? Are there usable trees/posts available?
    Disney is very strict about not allowing anything to be tied to the trees as it could pull the bark off and if everyone did it the campground forest would begin to die. Not good. I hear the Meadow pool complex has been rebuilt and is quite outstanding although December might not be the best pool weather.