On vs. Off Property

Hello to the WDW micechatters. I am a Disneyland regular, but I'm looking to take the family to WDW in the next year or so. What can you tell me about staying on property vs. off? What are some Off property hotels you would recommend? My husband worked for a while at WDW, so he knows about the on property hotels, and has preferences. I'm just not sure what is going to work best for our budget.

I can plan a Disneyland vacation in my sleep, but I am a little lost when looking into the "World". Any help will be greatly apprciated. Thank in advance.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: On vs. Off Property

Well, that depends on whether you want to stay off property or on property. Are you renting a car? We have done both, and both are good options depending on what you are looking for.

On property is a bit more $$, but you have the benefit of Disney 24/7. Themed hotels, themed pools, transoportation. You don't need a car at all.

Off property you can get more bang for your buck, but not 100% Disney. Last time we were there in October, we stayed off property at a vacation rental- 2 floors with kitchen/ living room, eat in area. It was fantastic, but it fit our plans since there were 7 of us, 4 of them being young children. The kitchen helped save $ on breakfast, we had a car so transportation was already taken care of.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Disney Trivia Queen

MousePrincess, what was the name of the place you stayed at? We're also trying to plan a trip to Disneyworld and want to stay off property, but there are five of us so it's hard to find a cheap hotel room that sleeps five.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Personally, I do not think the extra costs for most of what Disney offers is worthwhile. Extra Magic Hours is the biggest perk and one that I just do not consider worth the cost.

I quite enjoy the Holiday Inn Vacation Club at Orange Lake. It is deceptively located, as it shares a property line with Walt Disney World, but the roads are not that direct. They do try to get you to attend a time share presentation, but I have never been bothered after declining when first asked. Having the car also enables you to go see/do something besides Disney. If I know I am going to park hop I usually park at the Transportation and Ticket Center and then take Disney Transport.

I have never stayed off property at WDW but I have to say that I loved being on property and totally immersed in disney magic. It is like the outside world doesn't exist. As someone mentioned, you can skip the car rental, also do some research, cause you can have a taxi driver take you to wal-mart or wherever on your way to WDW from the airport to stock up on food for your room if you want to save on meals, we especially did this for breakfasts.