• Killer of Threads

Port Orleans Riverside

My girlfriend and I are considering staying at the Port Orleans Riverside, as it fits our "Moderate" budget. I've read pretty good reviews, and some outlandish complaints. Can anyone offer any info on this resort?

• making magic is fun!

Re: Port Orleans Riverside

The POR Riverside is nice. The bus system is alittle spread out and I would try to get a building close the main building. I actually like POR FQ alittle better if feels smaller.
    Kelly

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I prefer the French Quarter myself but if I had to stay at Riverside, request a Magnolia Bend building, they are modeled after the southern plantation homes i.e. Gone With the Wind era.

It all boils down to personal preference, my family and I have a running joke for the Alligator Bayou section, we call it "Deliverance" because it's dark and creepy, which is kinda what they are going for with a name like Alligator Bayou. LOL

However, Riverside does have it's perks, the pool is FABULOUS, you can go fishing (for a price) and there is of course the boat to DTD.

If you just want something intimate, I definitely recommend French Quarter. I have some photos for you to look at if you like. Here's French Quarter and I have some of Riverside as well.

• Banned User

hey, I was thinking of doing a few days here to, summer i am off to look at your pics!!

• Gawrsh!

I stayed at POR in Alligator Bayou. I liked the rustic feel of these buildings. Our room was close to the main building which was perfect as the resort is spread out. I love the boat ride to DD too! If you choose POR or POFQ you will not be disappointed!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter. I liked them both but actually preferred the theming of Riverside rooms better (I remember loving the tile layout on the bathroom floor). It was a little creepy at night walking back to my building and I kept hearing the "dueling banjos" from Deliverance in my head.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^ See! I knew I wasn't the only one!

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Yes, Dueling Banjos does come to mind at Alligator Bayou. Both resorts are charming, if you want to do less walking at the end of the day FQ is smaller, but you can't go wrong with either choice.

• Killer of Threads

Thank you guys! We've just put the deposit down - Port Orleans Riverside it is! We're hoping for one of the Magnolia Bend rooms.

Anyone know how often the shuttles to the park depart?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^That depends on when you arrive to the bus stop. I'd say every 5-15 minutes.

• Circle of Ancients

We've stayed at both as well, and I'll agree, I liked the Riverside rooms better, but the FQ grounds better. It's definately more compact, easy to walk to the buffet, etc, etc, etc.

We always rent a car, so we don't have bus issues.

• Disneyholic since 1999

Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning

I've stayed at both as well and have ressies for POR this fall.

Personally, I prefer POFQ over Riverside because it's smaller, more quaint, our kids love the pool better then POR, love the playground better as well because it's rubber base and not sand, it's a smaller resort and your really can't get a bad room location, and lastly, I love the style of the rooms --more of a deluxe feel vs. the Alligator Bayou section at POR.

That said, POR is pretty as well but only if you are in the mansions (IMPO). Magnolia Terrace is close to everything and I would request this section if I stayed there again.

However, we are now a family of 5 and that won't work for us unless we book 2 rooms (therefore, we are at Alligator Bayou on our fall "economy" vacation for "free dining" as this is the only section that honors a family of 5).

You can't go wrong with either resort, IMHO but we prefer POFQ!

Remember that they are sister resorts, which means you can share the amenities at both regardless of where you stay!
    Last edited by neverland_travels; 05-13-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    Offsite 6/99 ASMo 5/00 POR 11/00 Offsite 5/01 Universal 9/01 ASMo 2/02 ASMo 11/02 CBR 3/03 ASMo 11/03 POP 3/04 CS & POFQ 11/04 OKW 4/05 SSR 10/05 Disney Wonder and BWV 1/06 - The Time of Our Lives The Dolphin 2/07 5/07 OKW

Next Trip: Free Dining in Sept. and living the dream as Disney Destination Planner with Magical Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by neverland_travels View Post
    I've stayed at both as well and have ressies for POR this fall.

Personally, I prefer POFQ over Riverside because it's smaller, more quaint, our kids love the pool better then POR, love the playground better as well because it's rubber base and not sand, it's a smaller resort and your really can't get a bad room location, and lastly, I love the style of the rooms --more of a deluxe feel vs. the Alligator Bayou section at POR.

You can't go wrong with either resort, IMHO but we prefer POFQ!

Remember that they are sister resorts, which means you can share the amenities at both regardless of where you stay!
    I totally agree and I like the fact that you can use the pool at either resort. I enjoy eating breakfast at Boatwright's Dining Hall.

I have stayed at both sides and it has been nothing but wonderful. Better than the All Star Resort. lol.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello