Question Princess Storybook Dining

I am very excited that I was able to get an ADR for the Princess dinner in Norway. My two year old loves Snow White and my three year old loves Sleeping Beauty. We have never eaten there before. How is the food? I read a copy of the menu, but would like to hear some first hand reports of your experiences at Akershus.
    Beth
    Columnist for WDW Daily News (www.wdwdailynews.com)
    "Making Magical Memories"

We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!

• Lonestar Louisianian

Re: Princess Storybook Dining

While I can't comment on the dinner food (we were there for breakfast), the location is great. We felt like we were in a fairy tale castle as the decor in the place is well themed. The tables were well spaced apart from each other which made the character encounters seem more intimate. Interactions are what you might expect for "strole-by" encounters. Some were quick and to the point while others were much more free flowing and personal. Snow White was very engaging while Mulan seemed like she was late for an appointment.
    For what it's worth, the breakfast food was pretty good and came out warm and plentiful.

Have a wonderful time!

• Laughing Place Finder

I took my wife and daughter to the Akershus restaurant in November 2008. I'll admit that I'm a pretty picky eater and my tastes run towards burgers, pizza, sandwiches and steaks. Nothing on the menu really jumped out at me but the saving grace of the meal is that they have a cold cut sandwich bar. I made several roast beef and turkey sandwiches and they were delicious.

The other dishes I saw being served looked like they were well prepared but I'm not a fan of most items on the menu there. Sadly my eight year-old daughter has the same taste in food as I do but the children's menu is pedestrian enough that most kids will have no trouble finding something familiar to eat.

I usually approach the character meals as something where I am paying for the experience and the atmosphere. If the food happens to be more than passable then I look at that as a bonus.

That being said the Akershus Princess dining is the best princess dining experience I've had. I've taken my daughter to Ariel's Grotto at Disney's California Adventure and we are old, frequent veteran's of Goofy's Kitcihen.

Our Ariel's Grotto trip in May of 2007 was neat because we got to meet a wide variety of princesses, but the dining area there felt cramped and claustrophobic and the princesses seemed to be in too big of a rush. We didn't feel like we had much interaction other than a quick autograph and a photo.

Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel is always great but you can never tell if you are going to have a princess there or which one you might get to meet.

In contrast the Akershus dining area is wonderfully open, airy and not as over-booked as a lot of other character dining can be. The atmosphere is very pleasant and the Norwegian hostesses and waitresses are all very beautiful, helpful and pleasant. The best part of the experience is knowing that you will get to have quality time and fun, attentive interactions with most of the Disney Princesses.

I kind of wonder whether this dining experience will still be offered once Disney completes the Fantasyland expansion in 2012 where they add new character dining in the park. With that in mind I wouldn't miss the Akershus princess dining while you have the chance to go. Bring a camera and spare batteries because this is a great experience. I can't wait to eat there with my family in two weeks.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

FWIW, the Norwegian hostesses were the first people to neither hesitate nor mangle our last name.

Thanks everyone, I am really looking forward to bringing my children here. Luckily, we are not picky eaters and depending on the day neither are my children. We've never been to any princess meal, so this will be a first for all of us. Only 16 more days!
    Beth
    Columnist for WDW Daily News (www.wdwdailynews.com)
    "Making Magical Memories"

We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!