Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Kingdom Comedian

Disneyland expert but WDW Newbie...where to eat?

So I know Disneyland inside and out, but I've never been to Disney World...until this summer when I'm taking my first trip. My wife got us the basic dining plan and now I'm in charge of making reservations. Unfortunately I have no frame of reference for most of the restaurants I'm looking at. I've asked some friends for input and I've gotten a short list of table service places. Any one have anything to add or detract from this list:

Epcot
    Coral Reef Restaurant
    Chefs de France
    Le Cellier Steakhouse

Hollywood Studios
    50’s Prime Time Cafe
    Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant

Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
    Whispering Canyon Cafe

Disney’s Polynesian Resort
    ‘Ohana

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
    Trail’s End Restaurant

Downtown Disney Area
    Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant

Also, I'm told Cinderella’s Royal Table isn't worth it, but I thought it would be cool to dine inside the castle (since I can't do that here) Am I building it up too much in my mind? Will I be disappointed? (especially since it's so costly)

Also, also...one last thing...what would the best place be to go for a breakfast buffet? I gotta do that once, right? (Or is it even worth it?)

Whew...thanks to any and all of you who take the time to leave an opinion

So many questions...I feel like such a rookie. I'm gonna run crying back to the Disneyland forum.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Disneyland expert but WDW Newbie...where to eat?

I hear the California Grill at the Contemporary is worth a visit.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

You don't have anything on your list from Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom. One piece of advise - try to schedule your meals at MK or Epcot to be done before their fireworks start - both have really good shows. You won't want to miss. Also- I've eaten at the San Angel Inn in Mexico (Epcot) and the done the Bier Garten in Germany both were very good - if you like spanish and german food - check the menus beforehand.

• Senior Minion

I recently came back from my first trip to WDW, but didn't eat at many places since I wasn't on the dining plan ... but I can offer some of my experiences.

Cinderella's Royal Table is alright, but I didn't find it all that awe-inspiring. The room the meal is held in is rather small, and I think you might have to request a table by the window if you want to take advantage of dining inside the castle. You get a wand (girls) and sword (boys) as your little souvenir ... and I believe picture(s) are also included in the price of the meal. It's fun to check out once at least.

For a breakfast buffet we only went to the Crystal Palace which features Winnie The Pooh and his friends. I really enjoyed the food, and it's fun to see how the characters interact with the kids ... especially when they march around the place.

In Epcot the only place I ate at was in Morocco (I think it's called Marakesh) and found the food and entertainment to be fantastic. It's way in the back so most people tend to not see it.

Have fun on your first WDW trip. I know as the last day came I didn't want to leave.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Your list is good, but I'd consider these as well...

Magic Kingdom
    Tony's Town Square

Animal Kingdom
    Flame Tree Barbecue (QSFB, but delicious)

Polynesian Resort
    Kona Cafe (for breakfast, Tonga Toast!)

Tony's Town Square, at MK for sure. I lost a tooth there, no lie. Ice cream bomb, delicious but dangerous.
    -trf

• Kingdom Comedian

Okay...maybe this is the n00b in me, but why did this get moved?

I'm not interested in Orlando restaurants in general but WDW dining specifically. Am I wrong or is that an important distinction?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Okay...maybe this is the n00b in me, but why did this get moved?

I'm not interested in Orlando restaurants in general but WDW dining specifically. Am I wrong or is that an important distinction?
    This subforum, as the trip planning and hotel subforums, are for WDW AND the Orlando area. The name might be a little deceiving but if you look at the forum, you'll see it is for both in park and out of park dining. The same is true for all of the "celebrate the parks" subforms, to their respective parks.

As a reminder for the future, if you have an issue with a mod action, please either report the post or contact a mod. Thank you!

Back to the recs!
    (I recommend Le Cellier and Ohana, btw!)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I've been to WDW 15 times and eaten lots of places. I would recommend, depending on what you like, a variety. If fun dining is important at all, 50's Prime Time Cafe at DHS and Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge are both places where the service and experience are entertaining. WCC has a barbeque skillet that's ayce and has ribs, brisket, pork, boiled shrimp, and lots of other stuff. PTC has the best pot roast anywhere, and the fried chicken is great too. It's the only TS I'll eat at in the Studios.
    At MK, all of the TS are pretty good, none of them are fantastic. Cindy's place, according to my sis, is good but not worth the 2 credits.
    At Epcot, Biergarten is my fave. Le Cel is very good too, and Rose & Crown has been on my list for 20 years.
    At AK, I like Flame Tree BarBQ, a counter service. Pizzafari has cs breakfast that's not too bad. But that character breakfast you wondered about is there too, Donald's Breakfast Safari. You get Donald, Daisy, Goofy, and Mickey.
    Other options on character brekkies are Cape May Cafe and Chef Mickey's. Cape May also has a clambake in the evenings- no characters but lots of good stuff.
    Check the menus at allears.com and see what you like for yourself. Just stay away from Hollywood and Vine and unless you're very adventurous, Boma.

I strongly recommend eating at The Land. The food is ok, but it has the most intense theming of any restaurant at Epcot. Also, Bier Garten and the restaurant at the contemporary is awesome.
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

• DVC owner and loving it !

(# of sit down meals charged)or (Quick service)
    Epcot-LeCellier (1), (1) Coral Reef, (1)teppen Edo
    MK-(QS) Main street bakery, all others I'd pass
    AK-Blah,Blah
    Hollywood-(1) Mama melrose, (1) sci fi for the experience food-Blah,
    (2)Brown derby
    AK lodge-(2) Jiko
    Polynesian-(1) ohana
    Contemporary-(2) California Grill 630 pm and stay if fireworks are at 8pm 730 if fw are at 9 pm, (1) Wave
    Grand floridian-(2) At most -Cant go wrong at any restaurant here, any time you can go to Gasparilla grill for the quick service it is the best quick service in disney by far in my opinion. when we go to MK we leave and take the resort monorail to gasparilla for lunch.
    Saratoga Springs- our DVC home, (1)Turf club, (QS) artist palatte.
    Yach and Beach-(1) Captains grill is Very good
    Downtown Disney-(1) Raglan road my favorite here, live Irish music and food is very good, (QS)earl of sandwich, enough said LOL.

I am sure that some will disagree with my suggestions but that is what this site is all about.
    We have eaten at alot of places and these are the good ones that still stick in my head. We usually eat breakfast in the room then QS for lunch and a Sit down for dinner. Have a great time.
    Respond if you want more info on any of these ill let you know all I know.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Loved the Rose and Crown in Epcot for lunchie! Reservations a must.

And if you're just lunching on the fly, the kiosk on the boardwalk in front of the Boardwalk Inn and Villas serves up a mean basket of deep fried ravioli for $4.50.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post

Also, I'm told Cinderella’s Royal Table isn't worth it, but I thought it would be cool to dine inside the castle (since I can't do that here) Am I building it up too much in my mind? Will I be disappointed? (especially since it's so costly)

Also, also...one last thing...what would the best place be to go for a breakfast buffet? I gotta do that once, right? (Or is it even worth it?)

Whew...thanks to any and all of you who take the time to leave an opinion

So many questions...I feel like such a rookie. I'm gonna run crying back to the Disneyland forum.
    Breakfast Buffets -- There are many to choose from and I have found that the food really doesn't vary that much between them. Depending on what time you schedule them, the plus side is that they get you in the park a little earlier. I would recommend Tusker House in AK. It is located close to the Safari so you can either grab a fastpass before you eat or hop on the safari after your breakfast right as the park opens --Depending on the time of your ADR. Characters are Mickey and Friends the last time I checked.

Cinderella - The food is good, not great, and a bit overpriced. When I ate here I went specifically to dine in the castle. It is cool, but not overwhelmingly so. I do still have both my sword and my wand though.

MK dining - I find the other sit down restaurants in the MK underwhelming. I would save the dining credit to apply to another park or use for a signature restaurant.

Resort Dining - I find that schlepping out to too many resorts to eat gets a bit arduous if you are relying on Disney transport. So I tend to pick and choose carefully. If you eat at either the Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Polynesian be sure to allot about (45 - 60 min) to walk around the grounds. The theming and atmosphere are stunning. (also if eating at Wilderness lodge, you may wish to surprise your wife with a horse drawn carriage ride).

• and too all a good fright

One last thing...Make your reservations as soon as you are permitted by Disney.
    Cinderella breakfast ADRs go in minutes (no joke) and other popular restaurants fill up quickly.

• DVC owner and loving it !

[QUOTE=flotsam_mike;1055913736]One last thing...Make your reservations as soon as you are permitted by Disney.
    QUOTE]
    He is right this is the most important step, the restaurants fill up so quick. Get on the phone and start dialing 1 minute before WDW dine opens on the earliest day that you are allowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast