Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Rock The World

Best Orlando dinner show?

I'll be visiting Orlando and WDW with my wife at the end of the month. We're both big fans of the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show at Disneyland Paris and wondered which of the many Orlando area dinner shows we should try during our visit.

We'll only have time (and money!) for one show during our stay, so your recommendations really will count! The ones we've considered so far are:

Pirates Dinner Show
    Sleuths (interactive murder mystery)
    Hoop-De-Doo Review
    Arabian Nights

Could anyone suggest which of these give the best show, food and value for money?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• First Time Disneylander

Re: Best Orlando dinner show?

I've done the Pirates Dinner Show, Medeival Times, and Hoop Dee Doo (not all in Orlando, though). They were all decent shows, but the food at Pirates and Medeival was pretty aweful. Value-wise, Pirates and Medeival might be better options, but if you want a really great experience, I would recommend Hoop Dee Doo. The service and food were great and the show was spectacular. If you have kids, I would definitely go with Hoop Dee Doo. Since it's right in the campground, there's a lot to do before and after the show. Going to Hoop Dee Doo is one of the best memories I have as a kid, so I guess I'm a little biased, but it really is a great show.
    Walt Disney World - August 2010!

•   

Hoop Dee Doo or the Polynesian Luau are both best for food and entertainment. Sea World also has a Luau that is pretty good and while it is inside the park, park admission ticket isn't required. The others are just major tacky tourist traps, with disappointing food though some have decent entertainment. We've done all of them in the Orlando area excpet the Slueth Murder Mystery and they just aren't really that good. Other than the Disney ones the Pirates was the better overall experience. I also haven't tried Mickey's Backyard BBQ, which is also at Fort Wilderness, but seems more geared toward kids, i think it runs seasonally too.

Only one that was actually good that I would return to is no longer there. Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, got bought out because it was in a prime location by the nearby outlet mall is now a horrible flea market.

Hoop Dee Doo FTW!

Hoop de doo Revue is by far the best, but Capone's is worth considering. It's a speakeasy theme with the usual drinks policy, soft drinks, beer, wine, plus rum runners, aycd. The food is an Italian/American buffet, and better than most. The show is a hoot. It's in Kissimmee on Irlo Bronson, the main strip. Here's a link.

Orlando Dinner Shows : Dinner Theaters : AlCapones.com

I've also done Sleuth's many times, and last time there, I won. WOO-HOOTY. It's a lot of jun but not all you can eat.

•   

I forgot about Capone's, that one is also on our To Do List, it looks pretty decent.

• Rock The World

Thanks for the responses, guys! I guess that puts Hoop-de-Doo Revue right at the top of our list, although Capones and Sleuths come a close joint-second.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Do they still have that wild west themed one?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• The Study of Wumbo

We really enjoyed Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue. My four year-old brother had his debut on that stage as the Sheriff.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Do they still have that wild west themed one?
    Sorry, it's been gone for years. Every time I went 'Miss Kitty' would sit on my lap and muss my hair(or what was left of it) and sing a love song. I always loved that show, but the best was King Henry's Feast. I believe Disney's expansion of on property resorts killed these places.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Only one that was actually good that I would return to is no longer there. Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, got bought out because it was in a prime location by the nearby outlet mall is now a horrible flea market.
    My parents had been to the Dixie Stampede in Orlando and the original one in Pigeon Forge, TN (near Dollywood) and really enjoyed both of them a lot. They were really disappointed when the one in Orlando closed. But I haven't seen any flea market in the building there. From what I've seen, it's just sitting there empty. Or it was when I was there back in February. I'm going back at the end of July and I'll have more time to explore, so I'll see what's up then. If there *is* a flea market there now, then I apologize, but I honestly think it's just a vacant building right now.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sno1fan View Post
    Sorry, it's been gone for years. Every time I went 'Miss Kitty' would sit on my lap and muss my hair(or what was left of it) and sing a love song. I always loved that show, but the best was King Henry's Feast. I believe Disney's expansion of on property resorts killed these places.
    Oh no sorries... my only memories of it was not liking the show and my lips sticking to the metal cup! And the shop. It was chosen over Midevil Times, much to many people's disappointments! lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   

Hi aimster, the flea market was there in December when I went there it had just opened a week or two prior to my visit. It really was the most pityful thing I had seen, even by flea market standards, I'd say maybe 95% of the spaces were vacant, tenants were all complaining about the high rent and lack of shoppers. It was kinda depressing that the flea market was actually on the show area and all the decorations from the dinner show staging were still in place. You entered through the abandoned backstage area and walk through the empty horse stalls. It looked like a phenominal flop so it could have been closed by Feb.

I've also been the Dixie Stampede in Pigeon Forge and it was another great experience like the Orlando one was.

EDIT:

I stand corrected after a quick google search I found an article from Jan 29, 2010 in the Orlando Sentinnel. Looks like it didn't last more than two months.

The I-4 Flea Market that started up late last year in the old Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, plagued with difficulties almost from the beginning, has shut down. Attendance was slow, and much of the building was empty.
    The flea market did not properly maintain a pump that supplied water to sprinklers in the building, so the Orange County fire department closed the building. Dixie Stampede, which still owns the property, filed an eviction action against the flea market, terminated the lease and now has the building up for sale.
    full article here
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 05-18-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added link

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah I remember seeing a "For Sale" sign by the building when I was in Orlando in February for work. A flea market next door to an upscale outlet mall is a bad idea. Who wants to pay $30 for a knockoff Coach bag when you can get the real deal at a deep discount just across the parking lot?

• Drunk On Disney

I have always been a big fan of the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. I have seen it about a dozen times (dating back to when I was a young kid traveling with my parents.)

I still go and do it every few years. I have tried the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Both were great, but neither measured up to Hoop Dee Doo.

I just tried Capones this weekend and it was FANTASTIC. The staff was great, the show was hysterical the buffet was very good and it was a tremendous value.

You can find 1/2 price coupons (making the price $25 per person +1 drink and tip) everywhere. You can print it on the website and find it in every brochure. They even had the brochure sitting by the register where you bought tickets.

The wait staff made a joke about "how can youse guys pay half price and expect full service."

The show has all you can drink Bud Light and a few other drinks.

The show was family friendly and really well done.

The other recommendation I have is Yeeha Bob Jackson at Port Orleans. If you haven't seen his show at the River Roost make sure and check it out. The lounge only serves drinks and appetizers so you may want to go before a late dinner or go after dinner.

I think it is the best show at Disney and it's free!

Finally... and almost totally off topic... I recommend the Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues. 10:30am and 1pm on Sunday (so it's not a dinner show in any way) the show features inspirational live Gospel music (I have seen two different acts) and tremendous food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast