Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

All Right MiceChatters...where to go get dinner?

Dear all,

HusOtter's next birthday is coming up; his first in Florida and as a Floridian, and we have our APs! Where should we go? Now, keep in mind, I'd like a sit-down kinda place-but I also live on a teacher's salary. We don't have to use the APs, either, we can eat at the resorts or DTD as well. But I figured I'd ask around here first.

I'm curious to get some of your answers! I won't bore you with where we've been. There will be no right or wrong answers. No put-downs either!

Thanks ahead of time...

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Seasick

Re: All Right MiceChatters...where to go get dinner?

If you can swing it, booking the California Grill to coincide with a fireworks showing is really nice. It's pricey though, $28 to $44 for a main course.

I haven't been yet, but Whispering Canyon could be fun for a birthday, with some of the antics they do.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

First are you wanting it to be more romantic? More intimate? more candle light? or more Hoop Dee Doo? (BTW Hoop is 10 kinds of amazing and would be fun for a birthday if you want to have a light hearted campy birthday)

ohhhh soooo many options. Flying Fish is intimate, romantic, but a tad pricey. Wolfgangs at DTD is you can dine upstairs is also a pretty romantic experience, but also pricey.

PERSONALLY for romance, intimacy and price the Sharks Underwater Grill at SeaWorld is probably my favorite for that.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I would say Victoria and Albert's but that is a bit pricey for a birthday...

instead of this I would suggest something along the lines of Emirel's(sp?) at City Walk, one of the nicest sit-down's I've had in a long time not too terrible on the prices either(I think last time I ate there I spent round 120$ for me and the boss)....

If you are looking to stay in line with Disney I would suggest Fulton's Crab House always one of my favorites for a nicer sit-down with alittle pricier but very easily doable menu...once again the most I've ever spent there was 150$(i think it was almost a year ago now)
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Okay, Fulton's, California Grill, Flying Fish and Wolfgang's.

I'm also hearing Shark's Underwater at Sea World and Emeril's at CityWalk (I did do that over at MGM in Vegas, however).

We just got the APs--I know the current sentiment is to NOT have them, but just moving here, we'd prefer to go there-but I'm taking notes whereever you list. So keep those answers coming!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by RooBear View Post

I'm also hearing Shark's Underwater at Sea World and Emeril's at CityWalk (I did do that over at MGM in Vegas, however).

We just got the APs--I know the current sentiment is to NOT have them, but just moving here, we'd prefer to go there-but I'm taking notes whereever you list. So keep those answers coming!

Peace,
    Roo
    Well little known Orlando secret... you don't have to have a pass at SeaWorld to dine there. If you make a reservation, then go to Guest Services, they hold an imprint of your card, and when you are done dinning you return to Guest Services and they give you the imprint back. If you don't go back they charge you for a day. (you have to bring the receipt with you)

So you can enjoy the restaurant without having to pay for access.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

While I've never been, Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge is another consistently highly rated place.

And maybe the new Hacienda de San Angel in EPCOT during a showing of Illuminations? They don't take reservations until arrivals after Oct 16 though, so it's walkup only.

I've had my birthday at Le Cellier too; a nice place to celebrate.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Well little known Orlando secret... you don't have to have a pass at SeaWorld to dine there. If you make a reservation, then go to Guest Services, they hold an imprint of your card, and when you are done dinning you return to Guest Services and they give you the imprint back. If you don't go back they charge you for a day. (you have to bring the receipt with you)

Okay, now THAT'S cool. Of course, I just found out, I don't have to pay for a pass anyways-I get a free one because I'm a teacher in the state of Florida. In fact, I get an AP for SeaWorld/Busch Gardens free of charge.

Awesomesauce!

Peace,
    Roo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Okay, now THAT'S cool. Of course, I just found out, I don't have to pay for a pass anyways-I get a free one because I'm a teacher in the state of Florida. In fact, I get an AP for SeaWorld/Busch Gardens free of charge.

Awesomesauce!

Peace,
    Roo
    Just FYI this also works at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for Mythos and Lombards

Peace,
    Roo
    Huh? What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

that is way cool! I didn't know that

I'm not sure how either of these places would work for a birthday, but they are my favorites so I need to mention:

Prime Time Cafe, in Hollywood Studios. Love this place not just because of the food, it's also lots of fun. The extensive theming is the '60s, and the shtick is they pretend that you are a child and they are a parent/uncle/aunt... and they tell you to keep your elbows off the table, etc. Of course, some CM are more "in" to their roles than others. Also, they do serve alcohol

Our favorite favorite restaurant is Boma's in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is a buffet, with wait staff for your drinks. It is beautifully themed, as is the entire lodge. The food is out of this world, with an array of meats, soups, salads, desserts, and other funky stuff. I am normally a straight-up American food kind of girl, Boma's is a dazzling exception.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Peace,
    Roo
    Oh honey, anyone who lives in FL who loves the parks has an AP of some kind. I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't.

This year we only did WDW AP's but for the past 2 years we had Sea World/Busch Gardens as well.

• Another trip down I-4

If you're going to eat Disney sit down meals for more than just his birthday, I suggest getting the Tables in Wonderland card for a discount. It takes off 20% of the bill and can quickly pay for itself.

That said, Jiko at AKL sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Oh honey, anyone who lives in FL who loves the parks has an AP of some kind. I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't.

This year we only did WDW AP's but for the past 2 years we had Sea World/Busch Gardens as well.
    Ditto. The value is so so much better, it seems kind of nutty not to get 'em, unless you hate the parks and never want to go. I look at it as a sort of "tax", a cost of living here. We don't have income tax, but darn it, gotta buy those annual passes! Oh well, if I must...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Ditto. The value is so so much better, it seems kind of nutty not to get 'em, unless you hate the parks and never want to go. I look at it as a sort of "tax", a cost of living here. We don't have income tax, but darn it, gotta buy those annual passes! Oh well, if I must...
    My honey doesn't like the parks like my daughter and I do so we buy him that Play 4 Days pass, works beautifully. Add to that most of the time we have some friends or family coming in for a visit to one theme park or another, its definitely a necessity.

• Banned User

I honestly would skip ALL restaurants at WDW and go straight to the Ale House on 535, just a minute away from DTD's entrance. They have a varied menu and even folks living on a teacher's (or CM's) salary can afford it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast