restaurant with best ambiance?

i have a lot of dietary restrictions so i pretty much have to call ahead to any restaurant i go to...and even so eat simple. that means i don't have to worry about if the restaurant is that great tho! lol! so to me, what matters is ambiance!!! what do you think are the best restaurants for ambiance or just really unique disney settings? i would like to hear what you think and why. personally, i don't like anything too stuffy (i'm 21 and my bf is 20...just feel out of place) or a place that takes themselves too seriously in the whole "we are so much better than you way". it doesn't mean that i don't like beautiful settings though. i like great views (who doesn't) and unique experiences that only disney would offer. in reality, i can go to a typical fancy french restaurant (let's say as an example) in LA where i am from, or in boston where i go to school. so i want something unique and exciting and beautiful. so tell me what you like and why and if you have any suggestions throw them out there!

ps-it is hard to get an idea of the ambiance of all the restaurants on the dworld site...i plan on buying some books soon though but most don't have photos.

Re: restaurant with best ambiance?

Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios. The theme is fifties, and the wait staff have fun with guests, telling you to keep your elbos of the table, etc. We've had a lot of fun at that place, and the food is simple and very good. A unique experience, for sure!

• We'll hold them at bay

I think the Prime Time and Sci-Fi at DHS have great ambiance. The San Angel Inn where it feels like u r eating at night along a Mexican River. Teppan Edo has a terrific setting as well.
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Happy Haunt

Sci-Fi dine in theater is an awesome experience. It is my favorite place to eat because of the ambiance. I love sitting in the car drinking a milkshake and watching the movies. I could stay for hours. It's a great place to take a break in the middle of the afternoon.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

EPCOT and the Studios win for dining. The food isn't always great, but the show around it is wonderful.

*) Brown Derby, Studios. Fine dining in your bermuda shorts. Pretend you massively famous. One time I was there, they had a fake photographer running around the tables with a fake gossip columnist. Great stuff.
    *) Sci-Fi Drive-in, Studios. Hit this place up for the milkshakes. Nine bucks for a hot dog can be a bit much. However, the clips on the screen, the dim lighting...you are carried away.
    *) PrimeTime Cafe, Studios. You're in a rerun of I Love Lucy or Father Knows Best. With the correct performer/wait staff, you're good to go at this giggle inducing place. They make you set your space for dinner and wash your hands. Make sure you eat your veggies!
    *) San Angelo Inn, EPCOT. Gives off the same vibe as the Blue Bayou at D-Land. Enjoy!
    *) Morocco Pavilion, EPCOT. Sponsored by the royalty of Morocco, this place is a bit too authentic and not many people are familiar with the cuisine and culture. That's what makes it fun! The tables tend to always be available. There's belly dancers and such. One of our faves.
    *) French Pavilion, EPCOT. White linens and French accents-I feel like I am in a cafe and I should be talking about annoying Americans. Last time I was there, there were French newspapers to thumb through. BONNE!
    *) UK Pavilion, EPCOT. This is another one that really takes me away from the crowds for some reason. Something about the physical design of the place, right on th water, gives the feel you're not in Kansas any more.

Bon Appetit!
    Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I agree with Sci-Fi and Prime Time as great places for ambiance (and give the slight edge to Prime Time). I'd also add Tony's Town Square in the Magic Kingdom, provided that you get a seat on the patio. It's a great view of the town square with people coming and going, character meet-and-greets going on just a few feet away, and the occasional trolley passing by. Lunch there is a must-do for us every trip.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

By far my pick is my favorite restaurant on the planet - the California Grill up on top of the Contemporary Resort. It fits several of your criteria - it's fancy without being stuffy, it has incredible food and amazing service, and it offers a totally unique view of the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdom. Show up around fireworks time and go outside to watch the show, with the music piped in to your balcony speakers. It's just a totally unique dining experience, one that you'll never forget!

• formerly very helpful

Sci-Fi, and 50's Prime Time are two of my favorites, for hte reasons already mentioned.
    Also, in Magic Kingdom, Liberty Tree Tavern is the old Colonial motif. The food's pretty good, too.
    Cinderella's Royal Table is pretty good, too. It's the royal, fairie tale, medieval theme, in the castle itself. However, it is used primarily for charact er meals with the princesses, so it's costly and crowded.

In Epcot, I love the Rose and Crown Pub in England. The Mexican restaurant in the pyramid is beautiful, but the food is eh.

In Port Orleans Resort, RIverside, is the Boatright Dining Hall. Very nice.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

California Grill. The views are AMAZING, the food is delicious, and the staff is great.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Sci-Fi Dine In or San Angel Inn. It really feels like you are at an old drive-in or in Mexico.

• Golden State of Mind

California Grill
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever