Do all sit down dining restuarants at WDW need reservations?

We got the quick service dining plan for our upcoming trip but we were thinking about upgrading to the next one which includes one sit down meal per day as well. The only issue is that we have a 6 year old and we dont want to be tied down to having to eat dinner at a certain reserved time every night. With our son, he may or may not be hungry at the reservation time or maybe decide to throw his tantrums. Are there are any sit down restuarants where we dont have to make reservations ?

CAN'T WAIT FOR OUR FAMILY VACATION TO WDW AND DISNEY CRUISE IN APRIL 2012!

Re: Do all sit down dining restuarants at WDW need reservations?

I don't believe so. Check out their reservation online system and see if the restaurant you're interested in is listed.

Disney Dining & Reservations | Walt Disney World Resort

Consider places like The Wave at the Contemporary. It's a DDP table service location, but being outside the park, it's a bit easier to walk-in...

This site lists restaurants that usually have openings without reservations:
    MouseSavers.com - Advance Dining Reservations System at Walt Disney World.

The Unofficial Guide also usually has a chart of how many days in advance you need to book a particular restaurant. Here's an article that discusses which might have openings Honey, Where Are We Eating Tomorrow? How Far in Advance to Book Dining Reservations at Theme Park Restaurants - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog

Even if you go during a relatively slow time of year, trying to get seated as a walk-in can be very iffy. You might get in, you might not. The problem is that you take the time and go out of your way somewhere, only to be turned away, and now everyone is still hungry and you've wasted time.

I hate having to live by the timing of dining reservations, too. So what we do during a week's trip is make AT THE MOST two dinner reservations and one character breakfast reservation. This way, we're not tied down too much, but we still get a few of those meals.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

And it also depends on when you are going. IF it is a busy time, than getting a place to eat without a reservation is going to be extremely difficult. I have walked in at Liberty Tree, Tony's, Rainforest @ AK, 50s Prime Time, Chef de France, and Biergarten. It is possible. But this was also during very slow days. - Pouring rain during off season type days when the parks are lighter.

I would make the reservations anyway. IF youd ecide not to use them, no big deal, it won't cost you anything. At least you will have a safe bet.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post

I would make the reservations anyway. IF youd ecide not to use them, no big deal, it won't cost you anything. At least you will have a safe bet.
    Actually, they have changed the policy on this, sadly. Too many persons were making five or six different reservations at restaurants throughout the world and not cancelling them--after all, they were free and didn't cost anything. Now? They hold it with a credit card and will charge you. I've had to make two reservations this past week and both required it.

You might wish to think about counter service or even grab and go or, like another Chatter mentioned, look outside of the park. Hotels will be empty. Think about it!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Roo- I don' think they did. I just went in a made a reservation for Prime Time for May and did not require credit card info. (and just cancelled it too)
    And it didn't say anything about credit card info in payment and cancellation policy only mentions gratuity:
    Payment and Cancellation Policies
    • If applicable, a gratuity of 18% will be automatically added for parties of 6 or more.
    They did change it that you can only hold 1 reservation for a specific time frame
    They did require a credit card info to hold certain reservations, like CRT, the more popular ones but not all of them

I am not suggesting making multiple reservations for dinner each night, just 1 reservation in a time which is most likely you would have dinner. And in the end, if you don't keep it, you don't keep it. You can always stop by the resturaunt that day and cancelled (I have done that before as well)
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Roo- I don' think they did. I just went in a made a reservation for Prime Time for May and did not require credit card info. (and just cancelled it too)
    And it didn't say anything about credit card info in payment and cancellation policy only mentions gratuity:
    Payment and Cancellation Policies
    • If applicable, a gratuity of 18% will be automatically added for parties of 6 or more.
    They did change it that you can only hold 1 reservation for a specific time frame
    They did require a credit card info to hold certain reservations, like CRT, the more popular ones but not all of them

I am not suggesting making multiple reservations for dinner each night, just 1 reservation in a time which is most likely you would have dinner. And in the end, if you don't keep it, you don't keep it. You can always stop by the resturaunt that day and cancelled (I have done that before as well)
    Roo is correct. currently only certain locations require this policy however it is being rolled out to all table service restaurants in the near future.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I saw a WDW special on Travel Channel where they showed one of the parks had a special reservation booth where you could go up to and the person there can help you look up all the restaurants in the park to see if any of them have free tables available and hold them for you (advance seating?) Does anyone know if they still have those?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I saw a WDW special on Travel Channel where they showed one of the parks had a special reservation booth where you could go up to and the person there can help you look up all the restaurants in the park to see if any of them have free tables available and hold them for you (advance seating?) Does anyone know if they still have those?
    This specials on the Travel Channel were filmed years ago. You can attempt to make dinner reservations at Guest Relations in each of the parks as well as the Lobby Concierge at the resorts, however there is no guarantee that they will be able to just "save" the tables for you, you will have to make a reservation and leave a credit card number.

Because of people making numerous reservations at restaurants and then not showing up or canceling those reservation they weren't going to use, the credit card policy will be rolled out to all table service restaurants soon. It's because of these selfish people that a policy like this has to be put in place.

Personally I am happy that a policy like this is being introduced as well as the upcoming enforcement of the Fast Pass times.

• Banned User

It's the luck of the draw. If you have your heart set on eating in a particular place, then get reservations. If you want to walk in on a lark, do so, and ask. They will tell you how long you would have to wait for a table, then you can decide to wait or go somewhere else to eat. In the off-season, you often won't have to wait TOO long.