• never late, never early

Dinning experiences.

Howdy folks! My fiance (who will be my wife by then!!!!) and I will be going to WDW for our honeymoon in August. Today, we sat down and looked through the dinning options to see what piqued our interests. We've decide to try places that we haven't been to on previous trips. So far, we've decided on Liberty Tree Tavern, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Tusker House (for character breakfast), Yak & Yeti, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and The Brown Derby. My question is this: what kind of experience have you had at any of these restaurants? While actual food quality s important, I'd also like to know about atmosphere and anything else that would make these particular places special. Would you absolutely avoid any of these places? Why so?

As always, thanks for any info and input!

On a side note, what characters are usual at Tusker House?
    “If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”
    -Winnie the Pooh

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Dinning experiences.

Liberty Tree Tavern... um... not so fun. I went back when it was a Character meal but now I think it is just a meal.

For romance you should try a water edge table at the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot, San Angel Inn. It's indoors dining but similiar to the Blue Bayou Pirates water experience over at DL. You would have to ask for a water edge table and you can enjoy the mexican nighttime background and watch the boats with people pass by. Dinner by candlelight, very romantic. I believe live Mariachi's play indoors near the resturant as well as outside of the Mexico pavilion. When they play inside it's like a mexico getaway.

San Angel Inn Restaurante - YouTube

Cinderalla's Royal Table? Dining with Cinderella? It has GOT to be part of your lists. Hopefully they are not all booked up. Breakfast or Dinner, either or, it's great. Of course you'll have to pay upfront for this one.

There's also that one resturant at the Grand Floridian that is suit & tie affair, no children allowed, adults only. Very fine dining. I forget the name. Victoria & Albert I think. Of course if this is too "stuffy" for your tastes then you probably won't like the Contemporary resort's California Grill that has spectacular views of the Magic Kingdom at night from afar. Fireworks are also included in the meal, meaning a high lookout point with the audio blasting in from speakers.

Hollywood Studio's The Brown Derby is a MUST! Well done with that choice. Love love the old retro hollywood vibe inside there. I actually feel like i'm in California, that is until I step outside and I"m back in WDW.

---------- Post added 04-15-2012 at 08:28 PM ----------

And if you can't get into Cinderella's Castle then there's always the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall over in Epcot as well. We couldn't take my niece to Cinderella's Castle for princess dining so this was the next best thing. We met all the princesses. That is of course if you're into the ladies signing your books and taking photograph with them.

The other resturants you listed I have no experience with them. Hope you have fun! And don't forget to enjoy a mickey mouse head ice cream on a park bench in front of the castle at the Magic Kingdom. Everyone always has a favorite place to start eating, mine is with the ears.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 04-15-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• WDW will always be home.

I've eaten at the majority of the TSRs on property, and I can confidently say you've got a winning line up right there. Liberty Tree Taven is great, and the best TSR in the MK (both in terms of atmosphere and food quality) - make sure you try the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake! Via Napoli is the best pizza I've ever had in the U.S. Teppan Edo isn't too different from a high quality hibachi restaurant you could find anywhere, but it's still good. Tusker House is the one restaurant in your list I've not eaten at, but from the reviews I've heard, I definitely need to remedy that soon. Yak & Yeti is excellent - if you like Chinese and/or Indian, you can't go wrong there. Yachtsman Steakhouse has a very elegant atmosphere, and the best steak I've ever had on property (yes, better than Le Cellier); possibly the best steak I've ever had anywhere. The Brown Derby is good, but slightly overrated IMHO; unless you're really into the history of the original Brown Derby, I don't particularly find the atmosphere or menu all that exciting - it's not bad, but for the price you can probably do better.

If you're interested primarily in fun *experience* restaurants, I don't think you can beat Whispering Canyon Cafe or the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue dinner show. Also consider the Sci-Fi Dine In and Prime Time '50s for fun experiences. If you're primarily concerned with the food, I'd suggest considering Narcoosee's (also a beautiful view), Citricos, Flying Fish Cafe (if you're into seafood), or Bistro de Paris. Ohana, while not quite on par with the restaurants I just listed in terms of food, is a great blend of a fun experience and some excellent food, with possibly the best dessert on property.

Personally I would caution against Cinderella's Royal Table - there's no view and the food is mediocre (at best) for the price. Really, the only reason to eat there is if you really want to dine with princesses (in which case, Akershus and 1900 Park Fare are both better, IMHO) or to say you ate in the Castle. By any other criteria, it's one of the worst TSRs on property IMO.

From what I understand, Tusker House has Donald, Daisy, Mickey, and Goofy.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 04-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Thanks for the input! Any one else, feel free to weigh in.
    “If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”
    -Winnie the Pooh

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I have been to the yachtsman steakhouse and it is a wonderful place with very good food I would have to recommend this one for sure. Also the brown derby is good but not on the top of my list but I am glad I went there.

Please see below for my comments. Best of luck with your weddign and of course the August heat and humidity at WDW!

Liberty Tree Tavern - Pretty good food, nice atmosphere. I prefer Tony's Town Square for the food and the location right inside the main gate. Also it is a good spot if you book your meal during a parade!
    Via Napoli - I have been here twice. Good place for a quick meal at Epcot. Rose & Crown is also good for a quick pub meal.
    Teppan Edo - Never been.
    Tusker House (for character breakfast), I have been here three times. By far the best buffet breakfast in WDW. good variety of foods and ALL of the major charcters dressed in safari gear. (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Daisy)
    Yak & Yeti - Never been
    Yachtsman Steakhouse - Never been
    The Brown Derby - Best palce to eat at DHS. Good atmosphere and good food. Also, this place tends to run to an older crowd so it will be a good place to get a corner booth for hooneymoon purposes!

Some other places i have been to and enjoyed. California Grill (Great views!), Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge, Tommorland Terrace Fireworks dessert (this is a special resevation that runs about 25 per person. It is a great place to watch the fireworks in comfort and you also get an all you can eat dessert buffet!)

Best of luck again and have a great time!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    There's also that one resturant at the Grand Floridian that is suit & tie affair, no children allowed, adults only. Very fine dining. I forget the name. Victoria & Albert I think. Of course if this is too "stuffy" for your tastes then you probably won't like the Contemporary resort's California Grill that has spectacular views of the Magic Kingdom at night from afar.
    Yes, it's Victoria & Albert's. And I just can't disagree enough with the labeling of the California Grill as "stuffy". Yes, it's pricy, but it's also really excellent food, wine and service, with a view over the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon that is simply incredible. I don't like stuffy places at all, but I fit right in to the CG with my dress shorts and golf shirt. I eat there at least once a year, and have never had anything less than an amazing experience.

Thanks again, everyone.
    -Winnie the Pooh

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I ate at California Grill with my 10 year old grandson and his mom back in 2003. There was nothing at all stuffy about the restaurant. We had a great time. It brings back great memories, every time someone mentions the place.