Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pirate Princess

Couple's First WDW Trip.. HELP!

I know I'm not the first to post with questions about a first trip to WDW, but it is quite an undertaking to plan this stuff!! I'm also finding that every first timer has unique requests, so I thought I might get some help with my own.

THE FACTS:
    Myself, 23, (HUGE Disney fan) and boyfriend, 24 (lovingly tolerates me). Disneyland veterans, but quite aware that WDW is a whole different animal. Planning for February trip--All-Star Music, 8 nights. Food lovers. Want to do as much as our feet can handle.

THE QUESTIONS:
    1. How many days does each park require? We're planning on 5 or 6 days in parks, with two "break days" for relaxing by the pool, getting massages, etc. My thoughts are a.) 1 1/2 days each Epcot and MK, 1 day AK, 1 day Studios OR b.) 2 days each Epcot and MK, 1 day shared between AK and Studios. Open to other suggestions, just don't know how much time each park needs.

2. What are your top 5 suggested restaurants? Menu item suggestions welcome!

3. Any suggestions for "couple" things to do?

4. Can a wheelchair be rented for the duration of our trip? If so, WHERE and HOW MUCH?

5. ALL OTHER ADVICE WELCOME!! *So excited*

Thanks guys!
    "And don't underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE!"

• Banned User

Re: Couple's First WDW Trip.. HELP!

I can answer a few... I was told magic kingdom was a 2 day park, epcot to really enjoy it was 2 days to. Dak and Studios 1 day.
    Pop century is a better and newer place to stay I also heard.
    you can rent a wheel chair off property to be delivered to your hotel and they say its much much cheaper.
    Have fun!!!

• Pirate Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I can answer a few... I was told magic kingdom was a 2 day park, epcot to really enjoy it was 2 days to. Dak and Studios 1 day.
    Pop century is a better and newer place to stay I also heard.
    you can rent a wheel chair off property to be delivered to your hotel and they say its much much cheaper.
    Have fun!!!
    Thanks Makarla!

Thought of another question:
    6. Does it make any difference to book through the website or over the phone?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

THE QUESTIONS:
    1. How many days does each park require? I have always scheduled one day of each of the parks, and then, if there is something new or particularly wonderous, return to that one park. DAK, I find, is not worth a whole day, really--unless you are with an Animal Planet nut like my best friend--and usually break that up into 1/2 a day there and the other half at DisneyQuest and Downtown Disney. The studios is also a half day for us. But we get there well before opening (and use that early entry) and tour until we drop (at the Studios). Yes, EPCOT can be spread over two days--but I find the specificness of the attractions sometimes leaves some visitors cold. So, if you find that edu-tainment might not be your cup of tea, one day should suffice.

2. What are your top 5 suggested restaurants? Menu item suggestions welcome!

For several of these restaurants, go ahead and PM me and I can give you some insight on their specific menus.

As for breakfast, we usually stop at the Gooding's at the DtD entrance and stock up on snacks and breakfast foods--we like to eat in our room and then get moving bright and early (my husband is a freegin morning-person). No reason to waste time.

WE LOVE FOOD--that being the case, lemme give you my perspectives:

1. Not eating at the sit down eateries at EPCOT is like goin' to prom with out a date. Understand, however, that several of these restaurants you might be able to find in your hometown--so be willing to take a risk.

Mexico-been there, but they do have mole now, which is absolutely wonderful.

Norway--um, well, it is a buffet and everyone is blonde. However, I used to live with a Norsk roommate and, well, the cuisine never caught on for me.

China--being fixed up as we speak. Strangely, they don't serve everything continenal style like other Chinese restaurants, which is weird.

Italy, German--had better elsewhere.

Japan--the food is excellent, but I've seen the show elsewhere, ala Benihana.

Morocco--exotic and unique and always has a table. Not many Americans are familar with the cuisine and so there's always space. THIS is our favorite.

France--Very pricey, but when it French food not? THIS is our second favorite...and, by far, the most romantic.

England--well, the country isn't known for it's food, but they do have a fanatastic pub if you want a pint. We like to make very late reservations and ask for a seat by the window. Then, afterwards, run across the way and grab hot tea and Cadbury's and watch the fireworks. Give it a go!

Canada--a terrific steakhouse and probably our third favorite.

2. The Studios are great fun as well. The food at the Brown Derby is our favorite, but the portions are small for the price. We also tend to think of this as a more romantic location, especially if you can get a big booth for the two of you---and chat up your server for tales of the movie stars who have stopped by! The Studios, being a home for entertainment, however, has the terrific Prime Time Cafe. The entire dinner is the show. The food is 50's comfort food (fried chicken and meatloaf), but you are there for the setting, not the food. They make you set your table and make you wash your hands...just like a show like I Love Lucy.

3. Animal Kingdom: Sneak away to Animal Kingdom lodge and try out their buffet, BOMA! Jiko is more swanky, but I like to try a little of everything from this terrific menu.

4. The Magic Kingdom is a great, fun place...but when it came to food, we've always found it to be less then filling. So, for us, we hop on the monorail and go back to EPCOT. We're just that way. I heard that Tony's is good and so is Liberty Tree Tavern, but we usually just grab something on the go and keep touring our favorite rides.

3. Any suggestions for "couple" things to do?
    I hear you on that one! It is difficult to find those moments alone when everyone on the planet is trying to share this wonderful location with you. For us, we make time to:
    *) Tour all morning and, around lunch time, head back to the hotel for a swim or nap. Most of the parks are full at that time, but the resorts? EMPTY. As for your AllStars restaurant? Not very good. And their room service pizza? Frozen and pre-fab. But whatever the case, it will be just the two of you.
    *) You talked about having 'break' days. We like to go to Cocoa Beach and soak up the sun. Hit some of those local eateries too--but moreso, you'll see less tourists and more Floridains.
    *) Schedule a spa visit. Can't say we've done this ourselves, however.
    *) My partner and I find the shows to be romantic as well. Both in and out of the park. For us, we like to go to Raglan Road IF they have a decent performer for the evening. Church Street in downtown Orlando also has some terrific escapes.

Sorry so abrupt!

Lemme know what else you need!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLeMeRmAiD View Post
    Thanks Makarla!

Thought of another question:
    6. Does it make any difference to book through the website or over the phone?
    You can't discuss with the computer, but you can over the phone. The Disney folks do not want to give you a discount; they aren't looking to find you a cheaper room. You have to ask. The computer will default to higher prices (makes sense...they are trying to make money).

I say go with the phone.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Pirate Princess

Roo, you are a fantastic wealth of information!! Thanks so much!

Some of the restaurants you mentioned are already on our to-do list, I'll let you know once we've settled on our choices if we need some menu item recommendations .

Makarla, do you (or anyone else) know of some companies to check out for getting a wheelchair off-property? I didn't know this existed, and I'm definitely interested in more info.

• Banned User

I looked around and here is what I came up with they all specialize in scooters, and wheel chairs.

Full Service Medical Companies
    Companies that Specialize in Mobility devices (chiefly scooters)

Randy's requires that someone be there for delivery and pick up. The rest will deliver to Bell Services and leave it for you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

A great website for menus, to give you an idea:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Pirate Princess

I looked around and here is what I came up with they all specialize in scooters, and wheel chairs.

Full Service Medical Companies
    Companies that Specialize in Mobility devices (chiefly scooters)

Randy's requires that someone be there for delivery and pick up. The rest will deliver to Bell Services and leave it for you.
    SO IMMENSELY HELPFUL!!

Does anyone know what the process is from Disney? i.e. What is the cost and can you keep the chair for the duration of your stay or do you have to pick up and return each day?

• Pirate Princess

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    A great website for menus, to give you an idea:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm
    Only one of my FAVORITE websites! We're totally planning the whole trip around food. How embarrassing.

• Banned User

SO IMMENSELY HELPFUL!!

Does anyone know what the process is from Disney? i.e. What is the cost and can you keep the chair for the duration of your stay or do you have to pick up and return each day?
    Wheelchairs and ecvs are available, first come, first serve at all parks. They may not be reserved ahead of time. Power wheelchairs are not available.
    There is a pretty good supply of wheelchairs, but ecvs are in limited number and frequently are all rented out by mid-morning. Guests must be at least 18 years old to rent/drive ecvs.
    Ecvs and wheelchairs may be used only in the park where they were rented. (You can't transfer them from park to park).
    If you are planning on returning to the park or visiting another park on the same day, keep your wheelchair/ecv deposit ticket. This will allow you to obtain another wheelchair or ecv, if available, at the next park at no additional charge.
    If you plan to return to the same park later in the same day, ECVs can sometimes be held for you when you leave the park.
    Length of Stay rental ticket for strollers and wheelchairs allows you to make a one-time payment for as many days of rental that you will need. Upon visiting a theme park, show your receipt at the stroller/wheelchair rental location and you will be directed through the queue with little or no wait. THIS IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ECV'S.
    Current costs at WDW:
    Wheelchairs: $10/day rental (no deposit) OR $8/day Length of Stay rental

ECVs: $45/day and $20 key deposit that you will get back when the key is returned (so you pay $65 and get $20 of that back with the key return)off site is 30.00 a day on an electrical scooter... and not sure on the wheel chair. I would consider the electric one so no one has to push you
    hope I helped some .

• Pirate Princess

Wheelchairs and ecvs are available, first come, first serve at all parks. They may not be reserved ahead of time. Power wheelchairs are not available.
    There is a pretty good supply of wheelchairs, but ecvs are in limited number and frequently are all rented out by mid-morning. Guests must be at least 18 years old to rent/drive ecvs.
    Ecvs and wheelchairs may be used only in the park where they were rented. (You can't transfer them from park to park).
    If you are planning on returning to the park or visiting another park on the same day, keep your wheelchair/ecv deposit ticket. This will allow you to obtain another wheelchair or ecv, if available, at the next park at no additional charge.
    If you plan to return to the same park later in the same day, ECVs can sometimes be held for you when you leave the park.
    Length of Stay rental ticket for strollers and wheelchairs allows you to make a one-time payment for as many days of rental that you will need. Upon visiting a theme park, show your receipt at the stroller/wheelchair rental location and you will be directed through the queue with little or no wait. THIS IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR ECV'S.
    Current costs at WDW:
    Wheelchairs: $10/day rental (no deposit) OR $8/day Length of Stay rental

ECVs: $45/day and $20 key deposit that you will get back when the key is returned (so you pay $65 and get $20 of that back with the key return)off site is 30.00 a day on an electrical scooter... and not sure on the wheel chair. I would consider the electric one so no one has to push you
    hope I helped some .
    Makarla, you are my newest best friend!

I think for our purposes, it would be most convenient to use an outside company. A little more money, but we won't have to hassle with it at the beginning and end of every day, and we'd have it with us if we want it for our days strolling around the resorts and Downtown Disney as well.

Really, you MiceChatters are the best!

• Banned User

I am so glad I can help. most of the time I am looking for answers so it feels good if I can give someone else help. Have a wonderful time!! let me know how it goes renting one and using it from motel to park ok. So I can get a good understanding how well it worked for you

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Only one of my FAVORITE websites! We're totally planning the whole trip around food. How embarrassing.
    Never be concerned with that...I've taken entire trip that was based on restaurant to restaurant.

And worse, I took a walking tour of Seattle from coffeehouse to coffeehouse.

I'm so there with ya!

Of course, I don't know you and your bf's tastes, otherwise, I'd give more info.

Peace,
    Roo

• Pirate Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    I'm so there with ya!

Of course, I don't know you and your bf's tastes, otherwise, I'd give more info.

Peace,
    Roo
    Well since you bring it up, here are some of the places we want to try, based on the menus we drooled over.. I mean *read*.. on AllEars:

Cinderella's Royal Table (if we can get ADRs, fingers crossed)
    Coral Reef
    Chefs de France
    Le Cellier
    San Angel Inn
    Yak and Yeti
    Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
    Boma
    California Grill
    Spirit of Aloha Show

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast