Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8

    Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    I'm getting a little frustrated and I don't know what I should do. So I am asking for opinions on this one.

    I am supposed to be going to WDW the week after Easter, which is only a little over 2 months away. My nephew will be there with his school performing with their band and orchestra. My sis wanted to go, but can't afford to. I would love to go, but now I'm thinking I should skip it too.

    Airfare is a huge reason why. I cannot find anything affordable for that time of year. The lowest I can come up with is $400, and that means driving to Detroit and flying out of there, which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home. So I am not thrilled with that option. I have already told my nephew that if airfare does not drop a bit, I will cancel, but I really don't want to.

    My second reason is just general frustration with how this is all coming together. The bands have an itinerary, but not one that is for sure 100% what they are going to do. In fact, I would already have to add another day onto the front end of the trip, as what was going to be a day for the bands to enjoy themselves has now become another performance day. Ugg. Which means another $180 for another night at a Value resort. Which is just crazy to begin with!

    So for just room and airfare this trip is already at about $1400 dollars. I have an AP, so at least I don't need a park pass. But then we are still talking food, and any souvineers. Plus, I have no idea how much I would actually get to see my nephew perform. I am kind of clueless on that, and as they don't have any firm plans yet, he cannot help me figure it out.

    What do you all think? Is there any way that airfare will drop by a good chunk? How much time do you actually get to see the kids performing when they are there with their groups? I really don't know what to do. I would love to go, and have made all the plans to go, but I don't know if I s hould. What would you do?

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eustis, Florida (45 minutes from WDW)
    Posts
    3,025

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    Welcome to the boards, btw. I know your first thread illustrates a certain stress you are suffering from and that's unfortunate. Like Disney in a nutshell, we're a positive lot here and I think you'll find the suggestions people make here will be of that slant. I'll add my voice to the bin as well.

    The mere fact that you are an AP holder shows you love Disney just as much as we yahoos here on the boards. Yet here is a situation that seems beyond your control--most of us, myself included, would jump at the chance to go to see family at the happiest place on Earth. I'm sequestered in Colorado and suffer, dearly, from the distance it takes to get to either coast.

    However, your situation relates to money. Now, since you're new to boards, you probably don't know good ole Roo here. I'm a Tao Buddhist and things like money are not really something I like to be stressed about. Money means stress, and prefer not to focus on that. However, it does put food on the table, so when it comes to cash flow, it is better to err on the side of common sense. If it costs too much, don't do it.

    The mere fact that your heart just isn't into this journey should tell you something. If the elements of family performing in one of your favorite places in the world doesn't draw you in--then, yes, maybe you shouldn't go.

    Do you have to stay onsite? Why don't you look offsite for a decent hotel? There are great places to stay at half the price not far from the locations you need to be. You probably can use their busses if you want or, with money you save, you can rent a convertible and see the nearby sites you've never seen!

    As for airfare, I feel your pain. Frankly, I think the entire nation should revolt and, for twenty-four hours, no one flies just to keep them from rising prices. It's silly what they have you pay for terrible service, insufficient security, flu and diseases floating around your head and some creepy smell coming from the bathrooms. I'd suggest walking, but somehow, I think that's not going to work for you. However, with a cheaper hotel, you might be able to work this out.

    Lastly, let me teach you a bit of Zen, if I may so indulge. Remember, this is just a situation. It is neither good or bad. It just is. Nothing more. YOU give it the twist of it being good or bad by how you interact and understand it. It sounds to us, the readers, that you've made up your mind and don't want to go and that the whole thing is negative. That's too bad. Instead, turn it into the positive---that you want to go but the situation is not ideal.

    I only bring that up because if you see this as negative, you'll only see the bad if you do attend. However, if you see the potential positive, you'll make the trip the best you've ever had.

    Can you tell I've had WAAAY too much coffee this morning? Ramble, ramble, ramble....

    Whatever you decide, we'll not judge ya, we'll support you!

    Peace, our new friend!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

  3. #3

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    Dear Roo, I you so.

    I was going to say the same thing, only not as fancy: If you can't afford it, don't do it. It's not worth the stress and the debt you will face when you come home.

    That said, I've never done a band trip to WDW, but I have done it at Disneyland (and Hawaii.) The kids will have a schedule of when/where they are performing, but they will have to be there way ahead of time of the audience. Then you just show up for the concert, parade, or whatever. They will have to go backstage afterward, change clothes, put away their equipment (possibly traveling back to their hotel), and then they should be free until the next gig.

    If money is an issue for you- beware! I suspect your nephew will magically appear at meal times, possibly bringing friends. Unless you know some other adults on the trip, you may end up by yourself a lot, as the kids will probably have the freedom to go wherever they want unchaperoned.

    You just have to decide if this is The Trip to splurge on at this point in time. I'm thinking maybe I'll go now, though!
    Last edited by SusieP.; 01-24-2010 at 08:21 AM.
    A signature should go here.

  4. #4

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Moderator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    $1400 from Detroit to WDW (including hotels)? Too much.

    Find a way to connect the dots using JetBlue or Southwest - surely it can't be $400 with them.

    The bigger problem is hotels. $1000 for hotels? Um, no. Rent a car $200 and stay at week-rate Motel 6 ($135) or Home Suites America (probably $250, not sure) and save half your costs.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

    I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

    “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

  5. #5

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    $180 for a value? That sounds high.. are you quoting with tax/etc?

    I wouldn't stress about the schedule - that's something that is going to be totally out of your control - so just roll with it and don't stress if it means you can't do something or you miss something. It is what it is... flex where you can, and where you can't, don't sweat it.

    If it's a matter of costs.. look where to cut costs.

    You didn't say your exact dates or where you are... but from Detroit Sat-Sat the airtran rates are about $220.

    If you are there for a week, stay offsite and save BIG money.. like $100 a day. Group up with someone else and share transportation costs. Share hotel rooms, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  6. #6

    •   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific NorthWest
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    These are all excellent suggestiongs. Mine is, find a way to make it happen. Family/friends are everything. Money can be deferred.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    Thanks everyone, you have given me lots of things to think about.

    To answer a couple of questions: I have actually looked at Soutwest, both out of Detroit and Chicago. The reason it is so high is that my tentative return date is either April 10 or 11. The cheapest return flight is $211, not including taxes. If I stay longer, flights go down, but then I have to pay more for the hotel, so that kind of kills the savings, you know?

    I have given thought to staying off-site. But then I would have to pay for a shuttle to the hotel. I could never do a rental car, as I have absolutely no sense of direction.

    For now I will keep my fingers crossed that airfare comes down a bit. Thanks for all of your good advice!

  8. #8

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    I think most off-site hotels offer some sort of shuttle service, since the resort is their main business.
    A signature should go here.

  9. #9

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    don't count on airfares changing to hinge your whole trip around. Look at your options as your main point of control.

    Offsite would require you getting to/from the airport and parks. The hotels all have shuttles... the question would simply be getting to the hotel from airport. For instance, for the Gaylord Palms (right outside Disney Gate), it's a $33 roundtrip from mears.

    you could also contact someone like orlando fun tickets (sponsor here) and talk to them about potentials that fit your criteria.

    Don't count on airfare changes to be your savior.. it's not going to be unless you are so flexible you can go based on the airline's dates or schedules and can use princeline, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  10. #10

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    I wouldn't count on Spring Break airfare to get any cheaper. It's only going to go up from here, I would think.
    A signature should go here.

  11. #11

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    I have been looking around, and there are some good off-site deals. The orlando vista (which we always call the pineapple hotel) is only $69 a night, and includes a continental breakfast. I'm not sure how often their shuttle runs, but it also says you can walk to DTD. So that may be a good option too!

    Thanks again for your advice, and for making me feel welcome!

  12. #12

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Moderator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    That would be a 20-30 minute walk to DtD... and no direct bus service from there to the parks. If it were my vacation, I'd pay a touch more for the hotel to make sure there's a shuttle to the parks.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

    I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

    “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

  13. #13

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    Wohooo! Disney just released AP rates for that week in April! That will save me almost $70 a night at the Value resorts! All is not lost, after all!

  14. #14

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,777

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    Where do you live? You mentioned Detroit is 2.5 hours away but you were looking at flights out of Chicago too?

  15. #15

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8

    Re: Should I cancel? Kind of long.

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Where do you live? You mentioned Detroit is 2.5 hours away but you were looking at flights out of Chicago too?
    I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The drive to Chicago is just a little longer than the drive to Detroit.

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Cancel Firework?
    By light1dragon in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 02:59 AM
  2. [Question] When does Disneyland have to cancel their fireworks?
    By disneyboi92 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. Does WDW cancel their fireworks as often as DL?
    By DisneyIPresume in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
  4. Might have to cancel my birthday trip
    By Courtney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 12:11 AM
  5. The Cancel it out thread
    By Walt Jr. in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 09:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •