• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Help need WDW weather answers QUIKCK!

Help first trip to WDW leaving next Tues the 18th thru Sunday the 23rd. Weather report all days Scattered Thunderstorms, in the 80's. What does this mean in relation to going to the parks? dressing shorts? flip flops? and wet kids? Ride clousures???? Soaked baby stroller??? Any advice and tips are welcome asap!!!

• Happy Haunt

Re: Help need WDW weather answers QUIKCK!

First off take a deep breath and relax! FL is all about rain. I lived there for 3 years and never understood why it was called the sunshine state. Get Ponchos. Don't bother with umbrellas they don't really work. Have a plastic tarp or extra poncho to put over your stroller. WDW has a lot of indoor attractions because of the rain. The weather in FL goes from sun to rain frequently. So you probably won't have rain all day every day. During the summer it rains almost everyday around 2.

You'll still want shorts and flip flops if you prefer. In the rain I like them (as long as they are a good pair) because they dry way faster than gym shoes. I also bring an extra pair with me so I can change if my feet hurt or I do get wet.

In terms of ride closures like I said most are indoors. Overall the rain will be a minor pain but there is plenty to do even inside that it won't ruin your trip.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Florida scattered showers are big on the scatter and light on the shower. The reality is that in Orlando from about late spring to late summer it rains every afternoon for about an hour. The rain can be pretty heavy at times, but it's rare that it lasts long. Fortunately the people who built the parks are smart, and most of the queue and loading areas for attractions are indoors. A couple rides, like Thunder Mountain and Dumbo may close for the rain, but since the storms are so short lived, I doubt it will ruin your trip.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceysGirl View Post
    First off take a deep breath and relax! FL is all about rain. I lived there for 3 years and never understood why it was called the sunshine state.
    The same reason the prettiest island in the Atlantic is called Iceland and the nastiest is called Greenland; it's all about marketing.
    On one trip in Sept 06 it rained every day for at least an hour, but we somehow were inside for all but one day of it. That day we got buried in a deluge waiting for the parade. It stopped and got so hot we were dry in an hour.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

What everyone else has said. It means hot and humid and some rain. You don't want umbrellas, the rain may be accompanied by wind. They sell ponchos in almost every shop at WDW, if you don't bring your own.
    Almost nothing closes...can you imagine how the park would function if they shut things down everytime it rained?
    I wasn't bothered by the rain, but the heat and humidity really got to me. Make sure everybody drinks lots of water and that your schedule is a bit flexible in case you want to dodge into someplace indoors and wait out the shower. Overall, we just kept doing whatever we were doing, bought a few ponchos when a really bad storm came in, but otherwise it didn't affect us.
    have a good trip!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Or you could just do what my daughter and I did, take off the flip flops and skip down Main Street.

• Future Imagineer

My first trip to Disney was like the 2nd week of June and it rained constantly for the first like 2-3 days due to a hurricane on the Atlantic side. And actually, I preferred the rain. It was accompanied by wind, so everything was nice and cool and overcast. Then it cleared up when we went to AK and EPCOT and I felt smothered by the heat and humidity. (Especially in AK, but I think the trees and closeness of the park contributed to it). Just do like they all said, bring ponchos and flip-flops. No one likes soggy socks.

Welcome to Florida! Most of the attractions here are built for wet weather. Don't worry, it's going to be fun no matter what!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Actually, now is a good time to travel here the summer humidity hasn't started yet.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I don't know if you've dealt with Florida rain, but it's nothing I've seen. Buckets and buckets and then just gone like that. The poncho idea is great because umbrellas are a hassle.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

When it rains, the crowds disappear. Take advantage of it! Just keep an eye on the 10 day forecast because it can change on a daily basis. Plus if it says 40% chance of rain or less, odds are it probably won't rain (at least from my experience from living in Florida for 10.5 years). Just be prepared for that if it does rain, when it stops, it's going to be HUMID! Air conditioning is your friend.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

thanks for all the great advice and tips!

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Ok so now the big one , from an uneasy flyer. Airport delays in landing and coming in thru the thunderstorms, scary????