Planning our first trip to WDW - have some questions!

We're starting to plan our 2011 trip to WDW and I keep running across questions I can't find any answers to. This will be our first trip and probably the biggest and most expensive trip our family has ever taken. It will be myself, the hubby, and our two kids who will be 10 and 7 years old by the time we go next June. We plan on spending 10 nights there.

On to the questions:

1) Do they mind if you "clip" a refillable mug to the outside of a backpack and bring it into the parks for water fill-ups at the fountains?

2) If we arrive before our luggage does, will the Pop Century hold our luggage until the room is ready while we go relax at one of the water parks?

3) Does anyone know what kind of reception wireless laptop cards get at the resort? Namely at Pop Century?

4) And this one is for those folks who have experienced both parks during the summer months - We are used to going to Disneyland in the summer when temps hit close to 100. How would you compare late June weather at Disneyland to late June weather at WDW? Because the crowds are much more densely packed body-to-body (take the pathway infront of Jungle Cruise for example) at Disneyland, I am thinking the two parks might not be that much different heat-wise.

I know I have some more questions, but of course since I sat down to write they have slipped my mind!

• DVC owner and loving it !

Re: Planning our first trip to WDW - have some questions!

1. Yes you can.
    2. If you are doing Magical Express it should be waiting in your room when you get back from the water parks. Take the # with you and check with bell services on your way back from the water park they will usually make sure it is in your room. We pack a backpack with extra clothes to go to dinner but have never had to use it cause the luggage has always been there when we get back.
    3. Never stayed at the POP but at BLT the wireless was only available in the lobby but in the room there is a internet connection. May cost you a little extra. If you are a Vacation Club member staying on points the connection is free.
    4. Florida hot is different than Callie hot. The humidity can flat out drain you. 95 degrees with a dewpoint of 70-80 is brutal. I'm not a weather man but it is like a heat index of 120, drink lots of water and we always stand in the shade when planning our next move.
    5. 10 days we are all very very very jealous. Have a great trip!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

As Cbum said, you can take the refillable mug into the parks to use at the water fountain. We always do this. Its not an issue at all.
    Also, if you are taking Magical Express, your bags will be in your rooms when you return from wherever. You do not need to pick them up. I usually had them within 1/2 hour after arrival. I am sure it can take longer than that, but my experience is 1/2 hour.
    I have no experience with wireless internet, so I don't know.
    Florida has high humidity. Be prepared. It can feel a lot hotter than what the temp forecasts for.

Also, since you are staying for 10 days, the resorts sell these refillable mugs you can buy for like $15. Then you can re-use them your entire stay - to refill on soda, water, juice, coffee, or tea at the self serve fountains. In the heat and the amount you will be drinking, they will pay for themselves, expecially if you are a big coffee/tea drinker. It may be something to consider. We use them, since we usually get breakfast and coffee at the resort, head to the parks, and than I like coffee in the evening when we get back. Days sitting by the pool, you can keep filling them up with Powerade or lemonade (or soda/water, whatever)
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

1) Do they mind if you "clip" a refillable mug to the outside of a backpack and bring it into the parks for water fill-ups at the fountains?
    They don't mind at all and I do the same sometimes.

2) If we arrive before our luggage does, will the Pop Century hold our luggage until the room is ready while we go relax at one of the water parks?
    I believe so.

3) Does anyone know what kind of reception wireless laptop cards get at the resort? Namely at Pop Century?
    Can't help you there as I've never brought my laptop with me on a WDW trip.

4) And this one is for those folks who have experienced both parks during the summer months - We are used to going to Disneyland in the summer when temps hit close to 100. How would you compare late June weather at Disneyland to late June weather at WDW? Because the crowds are much more densely packed body-to-body (take the pathway infront of Jungle Cruise for example) at Disneyland, I am thinking the two parks might not be that much different heat-wise.
    It gets VERY humid in Florida, which makes it feel even hotter than the temperature actually is. There will be days where the temperature is, say, 88, but the heat index could be 95 or even more. If you're not used to humidity, the air will feel very thick. I grew up in Michigan, which also has very humid summers due to being surrounded by the Great Lakes, so I'm used to it for the most part, but there's days it'll still throw me off a little. Just remember to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. Also be aware that June starts the "rainy season" in central Florida. I can pretty much guarantee it'll rain almost every day sometime between 3pm-6pm. The rain usually only lasts 45 minutes to an hour, but sometimes it can last longer (or shorter). And when it rains, the parks empty.... take advantage! Play in the rain and have minimal waits on a lot of attractions.

After a lot of thought, we are probably going to pull the kids out of school for 7 days in either April or May. We just don't want to spend all that money and have to worry about whether or not we are going to be miserable. The late hours at the parks would be nice, but not nice enough put up with that heat.

I did notice that the parks still have the extra magic hours during those months, just not as many as the peak seasons.

Also, when you tour during the off season, you don't particularly NEED the longer hours because you won't be battling the crowds as much. As a tip to a first-time Disney family, I highly advise AGAINST going to the Magic Kingdom first-thing. After kids spend time at MK, you might find it difficult to get them to appreciate some of the more educational and cultural elements of the other paks.

Quote Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
    ...As a tip to a first-time Disney family, I highly advise AGAINST going to the Magic Kingdom first-thing. After kids spend time at MK, you might find it difficult to get them to appreciate some of the more educational and cultural elements of the other paks.
    Haha, you must know my kids. Very good tip, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Haha, you must know my kids. Very good tip, thank you!
    Not to mention people tend to swarm there at the beginning of their vacations, so Mondays see much more volume than one would typically expect.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The rain in summer you don't have to worry about in Florida. It rains, it storms probably like you've never seen before... and then it goes away.

The heat in Cali is nothing like the heat in Florida. When its hot - you expect to be drenched in FL. It's stuffy, it's muggy, and it's wet. But you get used to it and adapt.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged