• Disney aficionado

My wife's first trip to WDW

My wife and I are planning on going to Florida next year to visit her relatives for a few days and spend 3 days at the WDW parks. We spent our honeymoon at Disneyland last year, and I spent a good deal of time planning it. This trip won't be as detailed planning wise, but I look to gather some information.

Since I am a teacher, we do have to go during the summer mid June to mid August. What time of the year would you recommend?

I am thinking about staying a couple nights at a disney value resort or a cheaper off-site property and a couple days at the dolphin for a more upscale type of atmosphere with my wife. What off-disney properties would you recommend or would you recommend the value resorts?

Are the extra magic hours worthwhile? Do they offer park hours after the close of the park often or do they only do it during the morning? What is the early morning / closing schedule like?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

re: My wife's first trip to WDW

Hi Yackerz! Welcome back Hope married life is going well

My husband (yoyoflamingo on here) is a teacher so I know all about planning trips around that schedule

Weather wise, I'd recommend mid-June but crowds can be bad since kids are right out of school. But it is going to be hot hot hot and very humid and crowded no matter what.

EMH is so worthwhile! The crowds really thin out. I am pretty sure that there is one early and one late a day, at least. Animal Kingdom closes theearliest due to the animals scheudles but they do have late hours also. Of course, getting to whatever park before open to get in line does save a lot of time as well!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

re: My wife's first trip to WDW

oops double post!
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: My wife's first trip to WDW

Anyway you could swing Spring Break? LOL! We just went at the beginning of June and the heat was brutal!

The Extra Magic Hours definitely help. Using the Disney buses have also been a major plus for our family. We had a car this time, but used the buses to travel from park to park. I haven't stayed at a value resort, but with EMH, bus service, and free dining plans (if you can get that deal), staying on-property might end up being worth it even if you can get a cheaper room off-site.
    <o>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

If you have Presidents Week off, I would recommend then. Not as hot as summer, but not as crowded as Spring Break. It can be chilly, but that is a small trade off.

If you don't get President's Week off, I would suggest either right at the beginning or right at the end of the summer break...the heat won't matter when in the summer but it should be less crowded at either of those times. My family always went the end of August and the crowds were very manageable. The later in August you go, the less crowded it'll be. And you can always go back to the hotel in the middle of the day for a swim.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    If you have Presidents Week off, I would recommend then. Not as hot as summer, but not as crowded as Spring Break. It can be chilly, but that is a small trade off.

If you don't get President's Week off, I would suggest either right at the beginning or right at the end of the summer break...the heat won't matter when in the summer but it should be less crowded at either of those times. My family always went the end of August and the crowds were very manageable. The later in August you go, the less crowded it'll be. And you can always go back to the hotel in the middle of the day for a swim.
    Wow I didn't know you guys were married (neverneverland). It's funny one of you said June and the other August. Weather wise June may be better, crowd wise mid August. (that's the impression I'm getting) Long lines with super hot heat or super long lines with only hot heat it seems like my choices are! Of course, EMH will be my best friend and fastpasses.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

We have still semi newlyweds... we've been married for a year and a half I would listen to him over me - he's been a whole lot more times than I have been! It will be hot and crowded - just drink a lot of water and stay in the a/c as much as possible
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I've done both June and August(August twice) and both had their upsides and downsides.
    August was a lot more rain and for us it was much more crowded. We did the first week of august and the third. The first week of August was the worst crowds of the three and also the heaviest rain. The third week of August, the crowds didn't seem as bad but dining was horrible, it fell during the free dining.

June was good for us crowd wise but it was h.o.t. Of course, we did manage to be there during a heat wave so it was worse than normal. That trip we were there from June18-June 30. The closer it got to the 4th of July the busier it got.

EMH were GREAT. My older son loved the EMH at night at Magic Kingdom the most. We were able to get tons done during that time period.

I've never stayed at Swan/Dolphin but the location is fantastic. We stayed at the Boardwalk for the majority of our last trip and being able to walk over to Epcot daily was the biggest perk ever. The Poly is my favorite resort but the Epcot resorts location is just fantastic.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Disney aficionado

Thanks for the advice. I will probably shoot for mid june then. August is kind of a downer month for me cause I have to start getting ready for school starting lol! I don't want that to damper my time at Disney.