Red Face First Trip & Its our Honeymoon! Please help!

We are in the Pacific Northwest - Our first trip to Walt Disney World is planned for August 9-15 it is our honeymoon! We know that it will be hot & humid two things we are not used to. We have the park hopper including the water parks.. I am not planning on being rushed from park to park we really want to take it all in. Is it possible to fit a water park like the lagoon or blizzard in during the middle of the day? I notice a lot of people recommend going back to the hotel to keep cool during the middle of the day. What do you suggest? Also, any recommendations on how to handle the time change? It doesnt help that we are taking a red eye flight. Also, how is it best to carry things around with you like a camera, poncho (if we should leave it in the hotel?), water bottle, what is easiest for carrying around the parks. We are all about the THRILL RIDES! Also I have a question about the ADR - I wasnt able to get reservations for some of the romantic dinners we were hoping for i.e. Le Cellier and other Signature Restaurants, is it possible to still try to get in if we walk up? or try calling the day of?

Please help me any information you can provide and advice would be absolutely wonderful... I am excited but nervous because I have all of these small unanswered questions.

PS: Should we get the honeymoon ears?
    PSS: What do I need to expect as far as weather? I think of: Hurricane Season and I am terrified! Please ease my mind??

Re: First Trip & Its our Honeymoon! Please help!

Congratulations!

Weather-wise, expect hot and sticky! Don't worry about the hurricanes....the reality is that WDW is pretty far inland, so even *if* a hurricane comes while you are there, the worst that would likely happen is that they would not open the parks for a day or two...and I think there could be worse things for a newlywed couple than to be confined to their room for a while

Seriously, growing up in Florida I went through many a hurricane, and while Disney could close down the parks, it's very unlikely the dangers that far inland would necessitate evacuation--the buildings are designed for it after all!

Packing-wise, you can bring in small bags with supplies--sunscreen, cheap-easily folded up ponchos, and cameras are good (also bring water bottles and refill from the fountains to stay hydrated!). I like the little sling backpacks because they are light and easily carried in different ways.

Finally, in terms of the restaurants--yes it is still possible to get walk-in reservations as people cancel and don't show up. At that busy time of year it is probably less likely, but still worth a try--especially if there is just the two of you. Try Le Cellier at lunch--that worked for me on my last visit.

Have fun!

Brer Dan

Quote Originally Posted by twentiesbrunette View Post
    We are in the Pacific Northwest - Our first trip to Walt Disney World is planned for August 9-15 it is our honeymoon! We know that it will be hot & humid two things we are not used to. We have the park hopper including the water parks.. I am not planning on being rushed from park to park we really want to take it all in. Is it possible to fit a water park like the lagoon or blizzard in during the middle of the day? I notice a lot of people recommend going back to the hotel to keep cool during the middle of the day. What do you suggest? Also, any recommendations on how to handle the time change? It doesnt help that we are taking a red eye flight. Also, how is it best to carry things around with you like a camera, poncho (if we should leave it in the hotel?), water bottle, what is easiest for carrying around the parks. We are all about the THRILL RIDES! Also I have a question about the ADR - I wasnt able to get reservations for some of the romantic dinners we were hoping for i.e. Le Cellier and other Signature Restaurants, is it possible to still try to get in if we walk up? or try calling the day of?

Please help me any information you can provide and advice would be absolutely wonderful... I am excited but nervous because I have all of these small unanswered questions.

PSS: What do I need to expect as far as weather? I think of: Hurricane Season and I am terrified! Please ease my mind??

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by twentiesbrunette View Post

Congratulations! I would second everything BrerDan said, with a few things to add...

Regarding hurricanes, park closures are very rare. Generally, Disney will only close some or all of the parks for part or all of a given day when there is an immediate threat to guest safety posed by the weather. It is extremely rare for a hurricane to be so powerful that far inland that it would pose a threat to safety. Even if that is the case, as long as you stay inside you'll be totally safe. Buildings in FL are legally required to meet a certain standard of hurricane-proofing and most Disney structures exceed that. It's really not anything to worry about at all! It's pretty common in central FL during the summer to get a short thunderstorm every late afternoon/early evening but hurricanes are very rare.

Regarding the restaurants, as BrerDan said it is possible that you may be able to get walk-in reservations, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Le Cellier is probably the most popular restaurant on property and trying to get a walk-in reservation there is next to impossible. I was at WDW a little over a week ago and saw lots of restaurants (particularly in Epcot) that were turning anyone away who didn't have an ADR (I didn't even go in Le Cellier). If you're very interested in Le Cellier or other particular restaurants, I would recommend calling the Dining line regularly to check for cancellations and/or showing up to Epcot very early the day you'd like to try to get a walk-in ADR and going straight to guest services. But I'd try not to stress about it - it is a vacation . And there are lots of other great restaurants on property!

"I am not planning on being rushed from park to park we really want to take it all in."

That is a good strategy, especially for summer! Don't make the mistake of rushing around trying to do everything while you're there. WDW is twice the size of Manhattan; it's impossible to do everything in one trip (or two, or ten). You will have a much better time if you pick out your top priorities, plan for those, and plan in some time for spontaneity and relaxation. This is doubly true during the summer where it will be very hot and humid (particularly in August). What I usually recommend to people during the summer is to take advantage of longer park hours by sleeping in, going to the pool (or maybe water park) til mid-afternoon and then hitting the parks in the late afternoon/evening and staying late. If you're staying on property and make judicious use of Fastpass and evening Extra Magic Hours you can easily experience most of WDW's best attractions in a week using this strategy. This will also help with the time adjustment - you won't even have to get off west coast time!

Also, since you mentioned thrill rides I just wanted to set some expectations for you: WDW has a lot of attractions that are quite thrilling, but if you're expecting extreme coasters and really intense thrills a la a Six Flags park or a Cedar Fair park you may be a little disappointed. WDW probably has, at most, 6 attractions that would fit into that category. Disney is much more about immersive themed environments, great customer service, high quality entertainment, and unbelievable special effects. Not to insult your intelligence if you already knew that but just understand that Disney is a "theme park" and doesn't try to compete with "amusement parks" on that level.

Finally, regarding the honeymoon ears, I totally would if I were you. I think they're adorable, and no one's going to think you're weird for wearing them there! You may get some extra attention for wearing them (like getting singled out in shows) - so factor that into your decision if you consider that good thing or not. You also may receive some unexpected treats (like free food) if cast members know that you're on your honeymoon.

Enjoy!

• and too all a good fright

Packing: I tend to pack as light as possible. Dragging stuff around the park all day can get tiresome. Carrying a back pack in august all day will make your back feel like Niagra Falls is running down it. I have a camera bag that can attach to my belt and has an extra pocket. I can fit my camera, room key, debit card, ID, sunscreen stick, a small pen, a few pills (ibuprofen etc) and its only about 4x5 inches. Also, if your husband wears cargo shorts make use of them. If you do decide to take a bag or backpack, just make sure the straps are well padded and you take turns with it.

Water Bottles are important, but I recommend buying a bottled water and reusing the bottle. It avoids worrying about leaving a nice or souvenir bottle somewhere and if you are sick of carrying it you can chuck it.

• Disney Vacation Planner

Smile Re: First Trip & Its our Honeymoon! Please help!

Congratulations and how exciting to spend your Honeymoon at Disney World!

Because it will be hot, humid and crowded one thing I would recommend is pre-planning for the parks. If you haven't done it already, sit down with the park maps and plan out what you: must see, would like to see, would like to see but can live without, see on another trip, and what you should just totally avoid. Try not to over do it though. A Disney World vacation is exhausting. Trying to see it all in one trip is unrealistic.
    Do some down time at your resort.

When we do red eye or early morning flights, we usually are walking around like zombies that first day. So, plan on maybe doing a park as soon as you arrive, and then just head back to your resort for an early dinner and bed.

Take a small backpack for your camera, cell phone, poncho etc. in the parks with you. If you decide you don't want to carry it any longer, rent a locker. But you won't want to miss some of those great photo ops! You will be able to take your back pack on the rides with you.

Yes, do try for a walk up reservation! But before you go, keep trying for that reservation, either online or by phone. There still are some people who will cancel their dining or even their trip before then. You will be able to call dining from your resort room. Dial 55. There are some "romantic" restaurants that are not signature dining though. We have some great memories at the Sci Fi, Tony's, and Biergarten. Yes, Biergarten. Even though we sat with several other people..... it was a great time. Maybe the food at these places don't stack up to some of the signature restaurants, but they're not bad.

Have a wonderful time!