Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disney aficionado

Re: Park Hopping Question (And planning help)

It looks like you took a lot of the considerations I offered. When I went to WDW last time, I felt like I missed a ton when I skipped out of AK. There isn't a ton there that is for me, but the attractions they do have seem top notch. Dinosaur and Expedition are probably the 2 most unique attractions there along with the Safari. You won't get to see a ton of the park with your time there, but at least you'll not feel like you missed the whole park.
    (For my wife she loves rapids so we must do Kali rapids also.)
    If you find that you got through expedition and dinosaur amazingly fast I'd definitely check out the safari. It may add another hour to your time though.

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    It looks like you took a lot of the considerations I offered. When I went to WDW last time, I felt like I missed a ton when I skipped out of AK. There isn't a ton there that is for me, but the attractions they do have seem top notch. Dinosaur and Expedition are probably the 2 most unique attractions there along with the Safari. You won't get to see a ton of the park with your time there, but at least you'll not feel like you missed the whole park.
    (For my wife she loves rapids so we must do Kali rapids also.)
    If you find that you got through expedition and dinosaur amazingly fast I'd definitely check out the safari. It may add another hour to your time though.
    I've done GRR to death at DCA, and still enjoy it, so depending on the lines at Kali, I may do that over Safari, as even waiting in line for Kali and riding it will be quicker than Safari.

Thanks again for your input, and keep it coming, as I'm sure there are some out there who can help me further streamline my plan =) (And I still need to figure out lunch/dinner for both days as well!)

• Timelord

Another question I had. If I end up staying at the MK past the time I have a hotel shuttle pickup time, what would be my best alternative for getting back to the hotel? (The hotel is near Universal)

Would there be another shuttle service that goes out there? Taxi? etc.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice. Here is a revised schedule based on info from you guys. (And taking into account single rider, which I forgot about)

Here are the hours the parks are open the days I'll be there.

Magic Kingdom 9am-11pm
    Epcot 9am-9pm
    Animal Kingdom 9am-8pm
    Hollywood Studios 9am-10pm

Day 1 (All of this while keeping an eye on the popular ride lines)
    Magic Kingdom (9am-1pm)
    Grab Space Mountain FP and ride through
    POTC
    Haunted Mansion
    PhilharMagic
    Grab Stitch's Great Escape FP (if avail)
    Grab Jungle Cruise FP

Hop to Hollywood Studios around 1ish

Hollywood Studios - 1pm-4pm
    Star Tours FP and ride through
    Shows (Beauty and or Mermaid)
    Tower of Terror
    Great Movie Ride

Hop back to Magic Kingdom around 4ish

Magic Kingdom - 5pm-11pm
    Use FP's from morning
    Tiki Room (I like Iago =p )
    Country Bear
    Hall of Presidents
    Carousel of Progress

Day 2
    Animal Kingdom - 9am-11am
    Expedition Everest Single Rider (1-2 runs)
    Dinosaur

Hop to Epcot around 11ish

Epcot - 12 noon-9pm
    Mission Space
    Test Track Single Rider
    Figment
    Nemo
    World Pavillions
    Captain EO
    Spaceship Earth
    I hope you have a great trip and can get as much of this itinerary completed!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Disney aficionado

I'm sure you could get a taxi if need be. Relying on the hotels shuttle is a big bummer, it does save you some money though on a car rental. If you do drive, you can get one quite that is affordable at Hotwire.com: Discount airfare, hotel reservations, car rentals, vacation packages and cruises (Flynib sugested that to me and it seems like that makes car rentals at least 50% cheaper!)

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    I'm sure you could get a taxi if need be. Relying on the hotels shuttle is a big bummer, it does save you some money though on a car rental. If you do drive, you can get one quite that is affordable at Hotwire.com: Discount airfare, hotel reservations, car rentals, vacation packages and cruises (Flynib sugested that to me and it seems like that makes car rentals at least 50% cheaper!)
    Is there not some sort of paid/public shuttle that goes between the Universal area and WDW area?

From what I have read, no.

There are some ways to do public transportation, I believe, but it's a mess and would apparently take hours to make your way over.

Unfortunately, taxi is likely the only option--and from what I hear that's pricey! It really might worth paying for a rental car (and parking) to have the freedom it would bring.

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    Is there not some sort of paid/public shuttle that goes between the Universal area and WDW area?

• Poor chicken!

This looks like a great plan. I would only change one thing though: avoid more than one park hop in a day if possible. It can eat up some time, especially the trip from MK to DHS. I'd make the DHS visit as quick as possible, IMVHO you do not want to risk missing out on CoP, TTA, and Splash (considerable differences from DL's).
    Also, Jungle can have surprisingly long waits. It's way more popular than Anaheims for some reason. Definitely FP that one. I'd also hit Maelstrom at Epcot, it's usually a quick line and it's really fun. OK, have a great trip!

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    This looks like a great plan. I would only change one thing though: avoid more than one park hop in a day if possible. It can eat up some time, especially the trip from MK to DHS. I'd make the DHS visit as quick as possible, IMVHO you do not want to risk missing out on CoP, TTA, and Splash (considerable differences from DL's).
    Also, Jungle can have surprisingly long waits. It's way more popular than Anaheims for some reason. Definitely FP that one. I'd also hit Maelstrom at Epcot, it's usually a quick line and it's really fun. OK, have a great trip!
    I can't see the DHS visit getting much quicker than 3 hours?

If I'm there around 1pm, will be done one run of Star Tours around 1:30, head over to the 2pm Beauty and the Beast and finish that at 2:30, run over to Tower and be finished that by 3pm, and then one last run of Star Tours (hopefully using FP), and I should be out of there around 3:30. This gives me half an hour to exit and maybe pick up one or two items along the way out.

I'm also going to probably ditch Stitch (see what I did there?), as it was the only attraction I was still second guessing. That will free up some time for me in the morning to possibly do Splash or TTA.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Rides last longer then that... between the queue, the preshow, the ride itself, exiting, etc. Even the shortest ride can take 20mins.

If you've never been there.. I think you are grossly underestimating the scale of these places.

Personally I think you are cheating yourself if you just try to cherry pick the parks rather then just picking a park to enjoy and going through it all, then moving on.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Rides last longer then that... between the queue, the preshow, the ride itself, exiting, etc. Even the shortest ride can take 20mins.

If you've never been there.. I think you are grossly underestimating the scale of these places.

Personally I think you are cheating yourself if you just try to cherry pick the parks rather then just picking a park to enjoy and going through it all, then moving on.
    Again, I'm used to Anaheim, so I'm going off of what I know from there =)

What I think I'm going to do, is just stay on site the night I'm at Disney. This would give me EMH both days I'm at the Disney parks, and will give me a lot more time to work with.

Below would be my revised schedule based on EMH both days and feedback from you guys.

Day 1

Animal Kingdom 12 noon-2pm
    Expedition Everest Single Rider (1-2 runs)
    Dinosaur

Epcot - 3pm-12am
    Mission Space
    Test Track Single Rider
    Figment
    Nemo
    World Pavillions
    Captain EO
    Spaceship Earth

Day 2

Hollywood Studios - 9am-1pm
    Star Tours FP and ride through
    Tower of Terror
    Great Movie Ride
    Beauty
    Use Tours FP

Magic Kingdom - 1pm-2am
    Grab Space Mountain FP and ride through
    PhilharMagic
    Grab Jungle Cruise FP
    Tiki Room
    Country Bear
    Hall of Presidents
    Carousel of Progress
    POTC
    Haunted Mansion
    Splash

Thoughts? Is this a lot more feasible? Is it worth the extra costs involved? (About $150 more, which includes transportation and one night hotel) Will I have any problems keeping the key, so I can use it both days? (The day I check in, and the day I check out)
    Last edited by isny; 07-25-2010 at 06:03 PM.

• Poor chicken!

I'd stay on site, that's worth the $ IMO. The "key" is a credit card that you can use to buy stuff with on property, get in your room, and get into the parks with.
    Really, I think you'd enjoy TTA or some other tomorrowland ride than Stitch. I'll say this: my first trip to WDW was only 2 days, and I felt that after riding Stitch I could have used the time I spent at Stitch instead by going to the bathroom or looking at a park map and come out ahead. I dunno, maybe some people like it, if you're rippin through the park and have the time then go for it. We did AK/Epcot our first day, then MK/Epcot the second. We felt that we missed so much of Epcot by not giving it the full day, we dedicated half our second day to it, and STILL had a full day there doing stuff we didn't have time for on our next trip the year after. The place is really that amazing! My wife's sister and boyfriend, however, went full commando and made it to all 4 parks in 1 day (9:30am-8pm if I can remember). They even went to their room for a nap midday! Of course, there were no lines whatsoever and they hit basically the main E tickets only, but still, you can really pack in a lot of stuff if you put your mind to it and have the stamina. Like you said, you won't have anyone slowing you down, so it's all you.

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    I'd stay on site, that's worth the $ IMO. The "key" is a credit card that you can use to buy stuff with on property, get in your room, and get into the parks with.
    Really, I think you'd enjoy TTA or some other tomorrowland ride than Stitch. I'll say this: my first trip to WDW was only 2 days, and I felt that after riding Stitch I could have used the time I spent at Stitch instead by going to the bathroom or looking at a park map and come out ahead. I dunno, maybe some people like it, if you're rippin through the park and have the time then go for it. We did AK/Epcot our first day, then MK/Epcot the second. We felt that we missed so much of Epcot by not giving it the full day, we dedicated half our second day to it, and STILL had a full day there doing stuff we didn't have time for on our next trip the year after. The place is really that amazing! My wife's sister and boyfriend, however, went full commando and made it to all 4 parks in 1 day (9:30am-8pm if I can remember). They even went to their room for a nap midday! Of course, there were no lines whatsoever and they hit basically the main E tickets only, but still, you can really pack in a lot of stuff if you put your mind to it and have the stamina. Like you said, you won't have anyone slowing you down, so it's all you.
    Thanks for the advice. (I forgot to remove Stitch from my list)

I've gone and booked a night at the Yacht Club for a great price, so I'll be able to head over to the boardwalk after my first night at Epcot, and also be able to easily get to DHS early the second day. I also always have the option of ditching AK completely and taking a whole day at Epcot, so we'll see what I feel like when I arrive.

My only issue now, is that on my second day, I'll have to head back around 1am to the Yacht Club from MK to pick up my bags, as I have a shuttle picking me up after EMH ends at the MK to head back to my hotel near Universal.

Any chance I can drop my bags off at the Contemp on the second day? I could bus over to the Contemp from Yacht, drop my bags off, and then bus back to DHS. Could I still make DHS in time before they opened? (I know most hotels don't ask for anything but your name for bag check) Or another longshot, would they be able to move my bags from Yacht->Contemp for me during the day?
    Last edited by isny; 07-25-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Have you ever seen the Nemo show at AK? If not I would consider spending a little more time at AK and eliminating Dinosaur since you've probably ridden Indy a bunch of times and Dinosaur is imho a bad Indy clone. Nemo is my favorite stage show along with Aladdin. Sometimes we hop to AK just to see nemo once or twice then leave.

yeah the scale of WDW compared to DLR is so much bigger. It takes so much longer to get from one ride to another and from one park to another.

As far as Day 2 at HS I think mermaid is worth seeing you should maybe add it at HS.

You have 13 hours to do 12 rides at MK which is plenty of time especially since a bunch of stuff you want to do has minimal line issues (CoP, Hall of presidents, Tiki Room, Country Bears)

Since you are arriving later in the day I think you should not expect to wait in the Space standby after getting your fastpass. Also you are going to have to wait 2 hours after getting your space fastpass to get another fastpass. Id probably do things in this order

Grab Space Mountain FP (dont do standby)
    Carousel of Progress
    Tiki Room
    Country Bear
    POTC (you might want to skip this. Its shorter than the DL ride but the queue is much better maybe replace it with TTA)
    Grab Jungle Cruise FP
    Splash (or get splash FP and standby JC)
    Hall of Presidents
    Haunted Mansion
    PhilharMagic (my favorite thing to do at MK)
    Use Space FP
    Use Jungle FP

Since Tiki Room, Country Bear, Pirates and Jungle Cruise are all really close to each other, grab the JC FP as soon as your new FP window opens. Splash will probably have a longer wait than JC so maybe try to FP it instead. The good thing about Splash is its right next to the train station. so if you FP it you can take the train to the front of the park if its your last ride instead of walking.

You might want to consider riding BTMRR its different from the Dland version with different scenes. We like it a lot. Also I think Space is much worse than Dland its rough with no music. But again I think the queue is better.

All of this is just my opinion of course.

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by sportbettor View Post
    Have you ever seen the Nemo show at AK? If not I would consider spending a little more time at AK and eliminating Dinosaur since you've probably ridden Indy a bunch of times and Dinosaur is imho a bad Indy clone. Nemo is my favorite stage show along with Aladdin. Sometimes we hop to AK just to see nemo once or twice then leave.
    That sounds like a good idea. The first showing is at 1pm, so I could make that after doing Expedition, and then hop over to Expedition once more before leaving.

yeah the scale of WDW compared to DLR is so much bigger. It takes so much longer to get from one ride to another and from one park to another.

As far as Day 2 at HS I think mermaid is worth seeing you should maybe add it at HS.

You have 13 hours to do 12 rides at MK which is plenty of time especially since a bunch of stuff you want to do has minimal line issues (CoP, Hall of presidents, Tiki Room, Country Bears)
    I had Mermaid on my initial list, and would love to add it back, it will depend on show times though I guess.

Since you are arriving later in the day I think you should not expect to wait in the Space standby after getting your fastpass. Also you are going to have to wait 2 hours after getting your space fastpass to get another fastpass. Id probably do things in this order

Grab Space Mountain FP (dont do standby)
    Carousel of Progress
    Tiki Room
    Country Bear
    POTC (you might want to skip this. Its shorter than the DL ride but the queue is much better maybe replace it with TTA)
    Grab Jungle Cruise FP
    Splash (or get splash FP and standby JC)
    Hall of Presidents
    Haunted Mansion
    PhilharMagic (my favorite thing to do at MK)
    Use Space FP
    Use Jungle FP

Since Tiki Room, Country Bear, Pirates and Jungle Cruise are all really close to each other, grab the JC FP as soon as your new FP window opens. Splash will probably have a longer wait than JC so maybe try to FP it instead. The good thing about Splash is its right next to the train station. so if you FP it you can take the train to the front of the park if its your last ride instead of walking.
    Due to only a few of those rides being open during EMH, I may do it like this using your suggestions.

Grab Space Mountain FP
    Carousel of Progress
    Tiki Room
    Country Bear
    Grab Jungle Cruise FP (Or queue for it and grab Pooh FP)
    Hall of Presidents
    PhilharMagic
    Grab Pooh FP
    Use Space FP
    Use Jungle FP
    Use Pooh FP

EMH
    Grab BTMRR FP
    POTC
    Splash
    Haunted Mansion
    BTMRR

This also gives me time to do TTA and anything else I decide in the afternoon, as I don't spend the time in queues for the popular rides.

You might want to consider riding BTMRR its different from the Dland version with different scenes. We like it a lot. Also I think Space is much worse than Dland its rough with no music. But again I think the queue is better.

All of this is just my opinion of course.
    Space is amazing with the music, but I'd love to see the new queue, and the ride itself is fun...anyways, I can always bring the music with me and queue it up on my ipod... =D (edit: It's now on my ipod!)

Thanks again for everyones help, keep the suggestions coming =)

(New full revised schedule)

Day 1

Animal Kingdom 12 noon-2pm
    Expedition Everest Single Rider
    Nemo 1pm Show
    Expedition Everest Single Rider

Epcot - 3pm-9pm

Test Track Single Rider
    Nemo
    World Pavilions

EMH 9pm-12midnight
    Captain EO
    Figment
    Mission Space
    Spaceship Earth

Day 2

Hollywood Studios - 9am-2pm

Grab Star Tours FP and ride through
    Tower of Terror
    Great Movie Ride
    Beauty
    Mermaid (If time)
    Use Tours FP

Magic Kingdom - 3pm-11pm
    Grab Space Mountain FP
    Carousel of Progress
    Tiki Room
    Country Bear
    Grab Jungle Cruise FP (Or queue for it and grab Pooh FP)
    Hall of Presidents
    PhilharMagic
    Grab Pooh FP
    Use Space FP
    Use Jungle FP
    Use Pooh FP

EMH 11pm-2am
    Grab BTMRR FP
    POTC
    Splash
    Haunted Mansion
    BTMRR
    Last edited by isny; 07-25-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast