WDW First trip Ideas?

Hey guys!

New to the forums, always been a big fan of miceage.com, so I thought this would be a great place go to for advice! My girlfriend and I are planning our first holiday next year, and through much debate, we both really wanted to go to disney world but was worried about the cost, but we thought what the hey, lets make our first holiday amazing!

So thats when I come to you guys for some help, I have been to disney world a few times when I was younger with my family! I come from the UK btw! But since it is my girlfriends first trip and shes 19, and I want it to be as magical for her as it was when I went when I was five! I want her to leave going 'Wow, that was one holiday I will never forget!' and make me the best boyfriend ever!

So is there anything we can do like activites apart that a really great experiences to add that extra bit of magic! We are staying on resort so there are no worries about transport!

I was thinking stuff like:

1. Sci Fi Dine in for lunch when we go the studios, because from what I remember that is a real exciting buzzing restaurant!
    2. Have dinner at Ohana at the Polynesian then after walk onto the beach and watch Wishes!
    3. Mabye a nice evening at Boardwalk!
    4. My gf loves ice cream so I heard about some amazing puddings at Beaches and Cream at the The Beach Club!

Then I am stuck!

Anymore ideas would be great guys! Thanks very much!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: WDW First trip Ideas?

First off, have a great time.

I have some ideas for you but I don't know your budget, so I'll give you a little bit of both price ranges.

1. Take a boat ride in the evening and watch Wishes from comfort of your own ride. (Drinks and snacks included)
    2. Watch the parade upstairs on Main Street, perfect view and seats. (Get there an hour early to hold your spot)
    3. Go on Dumbo a few minutes before the fireworks go off. It's the most "in your face" fireworks I've ever experienced.
    4. See the dolphin presentation at The Living Seas Pavilion, its usually twice a day in the early afternoon.
    5. Do a Kim Possible mission if you like adventure games, my family always gets a kick out of it.
    6. Buy Passports for World Showcase and get a stamp from every country at the kid cot fun stops.
    7. Take a morning Segway Tour or a Behind the Seeds Tour at The Living Seas.
    8. If you will be there during the holidays, go see the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights and wait for the snow.
    9. Visit the Grand Floridian and see the HUGE gingerbread house display. (Again, these two are all relative to the time of year you visit)
    10. Go get breakfast at Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge and then walk outside either before or after to see the animals.

• Disney aficionado

If your looking for amazing tasty food, Le Cellier in Epcot is a must. It's so popular you probably should call ahead for reservations 6 months if possible.

Ohana should be great too. If your fiancee is into princesses, have a character lunch or breakfast at the Cinderella's castle and meet all the Disney princesses You definitely need to call 6 months in advance if you would like this and it is expensive.
    *shrugs* those are just 2 of the things a girl may like haha...

• Disney Vacation Planner

Smile Re: WDW First trip Ideas?

I would like to add to your Polynesian visit. Go a little farther down the beach where its a little more private. You'll find serveral hammocks in the trees surrounded by lit tiki torches. Lay down awhile and watch Wishes from one of them, very romantic.

Also, one of the most amazing evenings we have ever had as a couple, was after a late dinner at Cinderella's Castle and watching Wishes from the window. We took our time leaving the restaurant, only to find we were about the only guests left in the park. The wonderful Disney music was still playing, all the lights still lit, but we were the only 2 guests walking down Main St. We actually only saw 2 other people, Cast members! It was an awesome moment! Unforgettable!

Thank you very much guys! Fantastic advice! I knew I came to the right place!

SummerinFL, when you say watch the parade upstairs do you mean from the trainstation? haha I never knew you could stand up there? And do you mean rent a boat to watch the fireworks?

Yackerz, hahaha, you seem like abit of an old master at pleasing the ladies in disney world! Yeh I was thinking about character dinner or breakfast! But I am really not sure, what are they like? I can imagine them being quite akward for anyone older, like your trying to eat breakfast and bang Mickey is there wanting a hug and photo, playing with your food etc? I may be wrong lol!

Juliestrip7! That sounds amazing, just what we need! But what restaurant is that? Great Advice on the Polynesian btw, so dont stick to where everyone is standing in front of the Volcano pool and move down the beach?

Cheers guy! Anymore would be fantastic!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
    SummerinFL, when you say watch the parade upstairs do you mean from the trainstation? haha I never knew you could stand up there? And do you mean rent a boat to watch the fireworks?
    Yes, upstairs in the train station, sorry, I should have clarified and you don't have to stand, they have tables and chairs. Just drag a pair over to the railing and instant box seat viewing.

As far as the boats, they are boats that you rent for around $120, you can bring, I believe its up to 8 people and they provide drinks and snacks and then pump in the music for Wishes while you sit in your own private boat and watch the show. They do it in two places, either Epcot's WS lagoon or the lake outside Magic Kingdom.

• Not a Crook

It's not cheap, but definitely consider attending Cirque du Soleil: La Nouba. It is especially a great choice if your first day is mostly travel. My girlfriend and I went our first night, and it completely put us in the right playful state of mind for the rest of the trip.

Do at least one character meal, as it's just a lot of fun. We did 3 on our last trip, and ended up critiquing the various characters and the repeated actions. Seems it was popular to hit on my girlfriend, heh. Ohana's breakfast meal is amazing, and it's delightful to see the little kids dancing around, excited first thing in the morning, knowing you don't have to deal with them when they're exhausted and cranky 4 or 5 hours later.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Disney aficionado

Le Cellier isn't a character meal just arguably the best food in the parks and really good atmosphere.

A character meal can be fun and not just for kids. If you do not get Cinderella's Round table, (Expensive but you can't beat eating in the castle) then there is the Ohana' one which is nice but I'd rather go to Ohana for dinner.
    Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge is another great experience (maybe not romantic but tons of fun). The Wilderness Lodge and its grounds themselves can be quite romantic though. You could take a fairy to them from MK or the contemporary on certain hours of the day 6:45 AM - 11:30 PM. The ferry to the wilderness lodge in itself is nice and romantic. You can board it right outside of the MK gate and it's about a 10 min ride to WL plus the wait to get the ferry 0 to 20 minutes about.
    If you want a quieter non-character dinner at the Wilderness Lodge, Artist Point is a decent signature restaurant.

Hey guys! I have booked our flights for next year! Now just looking to disney resorts now! Tied between Port Orleans Riverside because of nice the grounds are and Colorado Springs because of the new rooms!

Any thoughts/reviews? And I am dreaming but espeically on the UK disney world site, you have to pay for a king bed?

• Disney aficionado

For the Moderates yes you have to pay more for a king bed. I was shocked by it too.
    I heard some not so great reviews about coronodo and the staff there. It probably is hit or miss though, and the resort as a whole does look fairly nice.

If bed size is an issue, Coronodo offers queen size beds as standard instead of doubles which the Port Orleans offers. (Of course coronodo is slightly more expensive to start with) Thus said, I'd go with Port Orleans Riverside and make sure to ask for Magnolia Bend rooms which are located in plantation-style mansion homes. These are much nicer in my opinion than the Alligator Bayou rooms which kind of remind me of slave homes with an almost too rustic feel.

Also, depending on the time of year you are going. It may be more reasonable to go with an upgrade to the Wilderness Lodge. During Summer Season at the values/moderates there is a "value season" at the deluxe resorts during mid July. Thus, the difference in prices may be relatively small. Plus you may be able to get a bigger discount with a deluxe stay instead of a moderate. Also, you always get 2 queens at a deluxe.

That said, make sure you book with Fairygodmother travel agency as they are really nice, they are free, and will work hard to make sure you get the cheapest prices possible. Fairy Godmother Travel

I would also try and book a dinner at the California Grill and time your reservation so you'll be there during Wishes. They have a balcony you can go out and view the fireworks and they pipe in the wishes music during. I have always wanted to go with just my hubby because it seems very romantic to me. Another thing is if you are the beach for wishes at the Polynesian you'll get to see the Electrical water parade after that. I would for sure book a behind the scenes tour Keys to the Kingdom at MK gets some great reviews and lunch is provided as part of the tour. Have fun planning, to me it's on the most exciting parts of the trip!

• Calls WDW "Home".

One thing you shouldn't forget is to give her a map of each park ahead of time and let her pick things out that she wants to do...and make sure to do them. Give her a sense of ownership in it too. If she really wants to meet X character, you better do it...no matter what. You need to know what it will take to make it special for her. Discuss it.

Also, try to get an idea ahead of time as to how she will tour the parks. I am a person who hits the parks commando style. Get there early, never leave and attack the parks. Luckily my wife is too. If you are different, it may cause friction. Be ready to give in to make it really her trip.

If you are "foodies", then maybe do multiple days at Epcot so you get to sample something from each country. She's too young to drink her way around the world, so maybe you could eat your way.

You could always have a bouquet of flowers in the room for her. That can be arranged thru your resort.

Have you sent away for the Vacation Planning DVD's? That will get things rolling.

And whatever you do...Make sure to get a Dole Whip Float at Aloha Isle in M.K.
    2010 Stanley Cup Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by SAV View Post
    And whatever you do...Make sure to get a Dole Whip Float at Aloha Isle in M.K.
    I second that!! As long as you like pineapple you will be set! Yummy

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I am not really sure what the fascination with the Dole Whip is. Not for me, thanks!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ