• Nutty guy from Canada

Recommended DVC Resorts at WDW

Greetings.

I typically hang out in the DLR forum but I had a WDW related question for DVC members who's home resorts are at WDW.

My family plans on spending a couple of weeks in Orlando in 2015 or 2016 for our first visit to WDW, Universal and other sites in the area (and Cape Canaveral as a day trip). (Our home resort is in California.)

Which of the DVC hotels are recommended and which would you suggest we stay away from?

We're thinking either the new Bay Lake Tower or the Animal Kingdom lodges but are we potentially missing out by not looking at any of the others?

Though it could be a hassle does anyone think spending a week at one resort and moving to another for the second week is a good idea? (We have enough annual points that three years worth will be enough to get us two weeks out there.)

Thanks for any input and even though its a few years out I promise a trip report will be posted here.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2014, WDW March 2017

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Recommended DVC Resorts at WDW

Quote Originally Posted by Asylim View Post
    Greetings.

I typically hang out in the DLR forum but I had a WDW related question for DVC members who's home resorts are at WDW.

My family plans on spending a couple of weeks in Orlando in 2015 or 2016 for our first visit to WDW, Universal and other sites in the area (and Cape Canaveral as a day trip). (Our home resort is in California.)

Which of the DVC hotels are recommended and which would you suggest we stay away from?

We're thinking either the new Bay Lake Tower or the Animal Kingdom lodges but are we potentially missing out by not looking at any of the others?

Though it could be a hassle does anyone think spending a week at one resort and moving to another for the second week is a good idea? (We have enough annual points that three years worth will be enough to get us two weeks out there.)

Thanks for any input and even though its a few years out I promise a trip report will be posted here.
    Bay Lake Tower is one of our home resorts, and its amazing! I would definitely recommend it! It's also the best for access to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT is relatively easy with the monorail.

The Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, and Boardwalk are all also great resorts with convenient access to the parks. BC and BW are close to the Studios and EPCOT, while the Wilderness Lodge has a boat ride to the Magic Kingdom that is quite pleasant.

The only issue I would say about the Animal Kingdom Lodge is it's far from almost everything with the (obvious) exception of the Animal Kingdom.

Just be warned: Depending on when you go, a lot of the resorts I listed fill up very quickly, so plan ahead and have some options.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

We loved the convenience/ambience of Boardwalk Villas. Visited all the others and would return to Boardwalk Villas in a heartbeat.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

i like Bay Lake Tower
    I am traveling now.

• Tonka's Skipper

Good Day there on the left coast!

All the CVS resorts have their own specail appeal. As the other folks say......what type of resort are you looking for?

I am a member since 95 and love our home resort OKW, it has the largest rooms, large land spacing, lots of qiuet space, its perfect for us and we usually stay here. SSR is another qiueter resort.......both near DTD by bus and boat service.

Aminal Kingdon lodge is beautiful and different...but as someone pointed out it a bit far offf.........yes the buse service is almost always great and on time!

Broadwalk. Beach Club are busy, right at Epcot and HS......

We dont care for BLT. So you can see its alot of personal taste involed in chosing a resort!

You need to think on the size of the family.....kids.etc...and what you like!

I hope you have a great Vacation!

AKK

I'm a fairly new DVC member, so have only stayed at a couple of resorts...Saratoga Springs, and most recently, Kidani Village. We had a one bedroom villa both times, and both resorts were beautiful! For my purposes, the reason I would choose Kidani Village over Saratoga Springs is because the one bedroom villas have two full bathrooms (the secret to my happy marriage). ;^)

As far as convenience goes, if you've got a car, you're never too far away from anything.

The one negative thing, I felt about Kidani Village, is that is doesn't have a quick service restaurant. If you want to grab a quick breakfast or lunch, you'll need to go over to Jambo House for that...but it's not that big of a deal.

Have an awesome time!

Having stayed in all the DVC properties at WDW (except Bay Lake Tower-but we've stayed at the Contemporary), my first choice is always the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. Here's why....

Kidani Village and Jambo House at AKL....bus ride is just too long, no quick serve at Kidani.

Boardwalk and Beach Club....great access to both Epcot and DHS but found the whole area really busy. Boardwalk was especially noisy.

Saratoga...very quiet, but because it's so spread out, it didn't have the same kind of resort feel as the others.

Old Key West...biggest units overall, but again, very spread out and lacked a "big" resort feel.

Bay Lake Tower....we haven't stayed in the DVC units here, but have stayed at the Contemporary many times and didn't really love it. Although the decor has been updated, the entire resort has a convention kind of feel to it. Monorail station always feels crowded as do the full trains arriving from the MK.

Why we "love" the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. It's remote enough that you can feel a million miles away from it all, yet the boat ride to the MK is under 10 minutes. Even when going to Epcot, we take the boat to the MK, jump on the express monorail, then the transfer at TTC to the Epcot line, right accross the platform. The buses to DHS and DAK were frequent. The Villa's are separated from the main hotel building, so it's very quiet (they have their own quiet pool), yet only steps away are what I consider to be the best hotel lobby on property. It's awesome! Two great restaurants, Whispering Canyon for the family, and Artists Point for a real treat, plus a quick serve round out the excellent food options. The hotel shop is one of the best and the Wilderness theme make for great clothing choices (very much like LL Bean). The hot springs that start in the lobby are cool, and the erupting geyser (lake side) is neat. There is a great trail to Fort Wilderness to bike, run or walk. There is also the Iron Spike room, a tribute to Walt Disney's love of trains, in the Villa lobby. I could go on and on.

Everyone has differing opinions and many will like other resorts better, for other reasons. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there. If you end up choosing WL, I hope you love it!

By the way, our second choice is always Beach Club Villas.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

I own at the Boardwalk Villas and love it. I just love the Boardwalk view and have never had a problem with the noise. I really like the activity of the Boardwalk. I also like the easy walk to both Epcot and DHS or the boat ride, if I'm feeling lazy.

My family's home resort is Bay Lake Tower. I would recommended it because it is in a great location, has views of the magic kingdom if you ask for them, and the rooms are fantastic. they are big and well decorated. it is all very clean and sleek. however if you can not get a room there I would say go for boardwalk. it is well done and has a awesome pool. there are several good places to eat on the boardwalk and it is a easy walk to get to Epcot. The Kidani Village resort is nice but it is far from anything. bring a car and you won't have problems, but if you don't have one the buses are a drag. hope this helps!
    All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    -Walt Disney