• Disney aficionado

Avoiding Traffic when Arriving at WDW from MCO (sorry no Magical express for me!)

Someone said this to me on another board, I just want to verify whether this is true for going to MK, contemporary, WL, Polynesian, or any other resorts up to the Northern end of Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNER.STERLING View Post
    I also recommend using the second Disney Exit, rather than the Downtown Disney one - no matter where you're staying. The lights cause a lot of bumper to bumper traffic and you have to make a left onto Hotel Boulevard which is pretty annoying. If you take the second WDW exit, you go in the main entrance with the big sign.
    Does this mean,
    I should not take the:
    "exit 67 toward Epcot/Downtown Disney"
    and
    Merge onto Epcot Center Dr
    then?
    but instead drive further down to

Take exit 65 for Osceola Pkwy W toward Animal Kingdom/Wide World of Sports?

Or is there another route I'm not seeing.

Re: Avoiding Traffic when Arriving at WDW from MCO (sorry no Magical express for me!)

Hmm, no, take exit 67, unless you are going animal kingdom, in which case take exit 65. It's annoying that the sign says "downtown disney/epcot" it really should say "best way to anything in WDW". The exit that the post you quoted refers to is exit...68 I think?, taking you down hotel blvd through a bunch of lights. slightly more direct, but you definitely don't want to go that way, it takes forever. You can't go wrong with exit 67, it's all highway.

Take a good look at a map before you put your car in drive, so you know exactly where you're going, where to turn. The signs aren't great. It's easy to make a mistake.

Hope that helped!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Avoiding Traffic when Arriving at WDW from MCO (sorry no Magical express for me!)

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    Hmm, no, take exit 67, unless you are going animal kingdom, in which case take exit 65. It's annoying that the sign says "downtown disney/epcot" it really should say "best way to anything in WDW". The exit that the post you quoted refers to is exit...68 I think?, taking you down hotel blvd through a bunch of lights. slightly more direct, but you definitely don't want to go that way, it takes forever. You can't go wrong with exit 67, it's all highway.

Take a good look at a map before you put your car in drive, so you know exactly where you're going, where to turn. The signs aren't great. It's easy to make a mistake.

Hope that helped!
    agreed 100%

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Also, stay in the far left lane if you're traveling on the 4 westbound until after you pass exit 68, then get over to the right after that. Exit 68 (on the westbound side) is a cause of major backups onto the highway because the off-ramp wasn't made long enough and exits at a stoplight. Since the exits are on the right, you need to be on the left and the traffic will generally move about 3-4x faster.
    -Bill

• Disney aficionado

Thanks for the tip Bill. I'm a pretty savvy city driver after driving through Pittsburgh a ton and Los Angeles twice on the 5 :-P.
    So if I'm on that 528 to the 4 (400?) I should stay in the left lane until I'm past Exit 68, and then get over to the right lane for exit 67?

I also heard it mentioned that 417 is quicker / easier from MCO to WDW.

Is this only rumored alledged and the google map route on 528 to the 4 is the quickest/ best?

I'll be traveling mid afternoon (2:00 to 3:00) so would this make much difference?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    Thanks for the tip Bill. I'm a pretty savvy city driver after driving through Pittsburgh a ton and Los Angeles twice on the 5 :-P.
    So if I'm on that 528 to the 4 (400?) I should stay in the left lane until I'm past Exit 68, and then get over to the right lane for exit 67?

Is this only rumored alledged and the google map route on 528 to the 4 is the quickest/ best?

I'll be traveling mid afternoon (2:00 to 3:00) so would this make much difference?
    417 is a lie we tell tourists. lol However it is less congested, and there are fewer accidents.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Yackerz... bingo. The 528 West to the 4 West is the fastest and cheapest route. And it's not the 400, just the 4.
    -Bill

• Disney aficionado

Thanks Guys! Looks like there is 2 exit lanes onto epcot drive for exit 67. I shouldn't have to panic about being on the wrong lane then. **phew**
    Now after that, getting from epcot drive to world drive looks kind of tricky and easy to miss the right exit.

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Yackerz View Post
    Maybe it's a matter of opinion, but I always take the South exit out of the airport and do 417 to the World. It's direct, it's never crowded, and the 2 toll stops ($1.25 each) are really a small price to pay. Plus there's a CVS Pharmacy right on the way, so I can stop and pick up water and room munchies with no detour!

• Disney aficionado

From MCO to the WL via leaving MCO on 528 then taking the 4 South it gives a time estimate of 31 minutes.

417 leaving southern from MCO gives a time estimate of 40 minutes.

How accurate are these time estimates?

I guess in the grand scheme of things 10 minutes doesn't matter all that much.
    The CVS right on the way on 417 does seem like a good pit stop for stocking up on some stuff.