Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Please help me with my WDW Itinerary!

Hey guys,

My wife and I are going to WDW to celebrate our 1-year wedding anniversary. We're DLR regulars, and I've read the "WDW guide for DLR Vets" posted here in Micechat, but I wanted to get some specific help from you WDW vets. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Anyway, here are some trip details:

- We are going to be there for 9 days. (Feb 12 - Feb 20).

- This will be my second time there (last visit was '96), and my wife's first.

- We plan to visit the four main theme parks, as well the boardwalk and downtown disney. We will also be taking a 1 day trip to Universal IOA.

- We will be staying with family at Windermere, so we'll be driving everyday from Windermere to WDW.

- I'm planning to spend 6 days in WDW, 1 in Universal. I wanted to do it in this order (Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Universal IOA. Reason I did it in this order was because I wanted to alternate between early closing parks and later closing parks (in hopes we would get some rest in between).

- Speaking of rest, I thought about putting some "rest" days between every 2 days of park travel. We would use these days to possibly visit the non-park parts of WDW (like boardwalk or downtown disney), rest, and maybe get some shopping. I'm still wondering if we even need this rest days, and just go to the parks instead.

- Would it be cheaper/worth it to upgrade our DLR Premium Annual Passes to the "Premier" Annual pass (good on both coasts), or just get a 5-6 day pass? I think the math results in not much of a price difference, so I'm leaning on the Premier Pass. I think it would be a cool novelty to have a Premier Pass anyway.

Thanks in advance!

• When Will It Return?

Re: Please help me with my WDW Itinerary!

If you intend to visit WDW again at any point between now and when your Disneyland AP/Premier AP is due to expire, then go Premier. Otherwise you're basically getting the Premier for the sake of having a Premier.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

•   
    • Minion

My GF and I upgraded our pass to the premiere one from CA. I will be in WDW for 9 days as well. We are leaving the day you get in I figured it;s good to have the option of going back if I want to at anytime during the trip. Say you are on a rest day and think you want to ride something at Mk or eat at EPCOT and then leave. By having the pass you have that option. Also you can get into Disney quest for free with the pass and you get some discounts with that around the resort. Also you can park at any of the parks for free if you have a rental car bypassing the bus system when you want.

To upgrade the pass from a DLR premium costs 283.75 with tax. The 6 day park tickets for wdw is 257.73 with tax. the 6 day park hopper at wdw is 315.24 with tax. To me you may want to consider going with the premiere passport. Just my two cents.

• Sock Puppet

Cool! From what I read it's a good time to go in terms of weather and crowd.

Premier is definately the way to go. Thanks for the info!

Is it your first time to WDW?

I went 11 days and visited Disney quest and the waterparks so the Premier works PERFECT for me. Honesty, your trip just sounds fantastic. Something I would say is spend one of your relaxing days just hanging out in world showcase wtih your wife. It's a great place to just hang out. And take the boat from epcot to the boardwalk to DHS if you get the chance, it's really fun. ENVY!!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 40 mph View Post
    Cool! From what I read it's a good time to go in terms of weather and crowd.

Premier is definately the way to go. Thanks for the info!

Is it your first time to WDW?
    Actually no last March we went for the first time for 6 days because they had the gift card promo going it was enough time to see everything we wanted but this time we can let it soak in and see universal and Kennedy space center!

• Sock Puppet

That's a real great idea about going to World Showcase on the rest day. I was reading that you should probably spend around 2 days at Epcot, although I don't remember needing that much time when I was there in 96.

•   
    • Minion

My gf and I spent a good solid 12 hours at EPCOT one day so one day is good but you have to be willing to commit. 2 days should be perfect.

My family has gone to Disney World many times! I would suggest finding out which fine dining restuarants you want to eat at now so that you can make reservations tomorrow, otherwise you won't be able to get in the door. The world showcase has some great places to eat at! The last time we went there, the extended hours were only availble on certain nights of the week. If I remember correctly, Animal Kingdom only opened early on Wendesday and MK only stayed open until 3 on Sunday (or Monday, not really sure about that one!). In both times, only certain rides were opened during those times so definitely look into that before finalizing your plans! Have fun!

Hi there! You did a nice job in your opening post so I don't have to ask questions before I can answer you. Agree about getting the premier so you have options to "pop in" on a "rest" day if the spirit moves you.

Your plan sounds great, a couple things struck me: Regarding what order you go to the different parks in: Check the WDW website, the calender for each of the parks, make sure that they have the parades/fireworks/ shows that you want to see scheduled for the day that you will be there. Also, beware "extra magic hours" , particularly MORNING extra magic hours. This means that the park will open an hour early that day for WDW hotel guests (so does not apply to you, correct?) AVOID the parks that have "extra magic hours- morning" on a given day, because they are more crowded (with WDW hotel guests) for the whole day. Evening magic hours, not really a problem. I have learned to avoid "extra magic hour - morning" even when I am staying on property, because that extra hour is not worrth the extra crowds!

One other thing that struck me: You mention Universal IoA, I assume for Harry Potter, which I highly highly encourage, but (and I'm not sure how universal's tickets work for a single day) but if you can I'd recommend getting a ticket that includes both parks: Universal and Islands of Adventure. They are right next to each other (a la Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure), and a few worthwhile attractions are at Universal (Simpsons ride, the Mummy, Men in Black, E.T., and a new roller coaster, can't remember the name) We just got back from there, and easily did everything in Harry Potter, rode the Hulk, Cat in the Hat, the drop ride, some other ride, and bopped over to Universal and did everything we wanted to there too, all in one day. We had Express passes (like Disney's fast pass, except you have to buy it, but once you have it, you dont' wait for anything (except HPs Forbidden Journey). If they are crowded, it's soooo worth it to buy. If they are not crowded, you don't really need it. Definitely avoid Universal IoA over presidents day weekend, try to get that one on a weekday. Harry Potter is still a big draw (we were just there over MLK weekend, mornings were OK, afternoon was PACKED)

Regarding dining reservations: Yes make them right now. Keep in mind, you are not married to those plans, if you miss a dining reservation, no biggie.

Other tips: Do Toy Story Mania FIRST THING IN THE MORNING it is unbelievable popular here, with two hour waits, fast passes gone before noon. At Harry Potter, do Olivanders first (I actually missed this so I can't tell you if it's worth it, but line gets soooo long) then Forbidden Journey (the queue is half the fun, so don't be intimidated by a long wait), then do whatever else you want.

My standard advice for Disneylander: Experience WDW for what it is, try not to compare, try not to have expectations based on Disneyland. It's different in many many ways (which you know from being there way back, but it bears repeating)

Enjoy!

Along with the dinner reservations, some of the hotels on the property have great restuarants in them as well as the restuarants in the parks. The one I can think of off the top of my head is the Wilderness Lodge's Restaurant (sorry, I don't know the actual name of it). If it's too late to get good reservations in the parks, hotels might be a good way to go because most don't know about them and they're usually not as crowded.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks everyone for their responses! It's really helped me out.

Some updates and comments:

- Since I'll be staying with family, I won't be using WDW Magic hours

- As far as Universal goes, I'm going to ask my cousin to purchase my tickets, as I believe there is a FLorida resident discount. Also, I think we will just stick with IOA. Most of the non-Harry Potter rides you mentioned, we've already been on in Universal Hollywood.

- I'll have to rent a car, since my cousin only has a two-seater. Any suggestions on where to get a great deal? Just need a simple sedan. Also, has anyone with an Amex card forgone the rental insurance, since Amex has their own? Or should I still purchase it?

- We will probably forgo Toy Story Mania also, since we already have it in DLR

- I made reservations for 2 at Bistro de Paris at the Paris Pavillion around 7pm on Valentine's Day (Our official 1 year anniversary)

As for the scheduling, it's really the first couple of days I'd like to get everyone's advice about. My wife and I arrive MCO late saturday night. That leaves us with Sunday as the first day to go out. Because of the travelling I'm pretty sure we're not going to be at any park early the next day. More like lunchtime or early afternoon. That being said what is better?

1) Going to a park that is smaller, where you can see almost everything in a small period of time, but closes earlier (like Animal Kingdom, which closes at 6pm)

OR

2) Going to a larger park that stays open later, yet you might not see everything.

For example, if we went to animal kingdom at 1pm on a sunday in feb, is that enough time to see it all? OR should we start at maybe magic kingdom?

Thanks!

• Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by 40 mph View Post
    - I'll have to rent a car, since my cousin only has a two-seater. Any suggestions on where to get a great deal? Just need a simple sedan. Also, has anyone with an Amex card forgone the rental insurance, since Amex has their own? Or should I still purchase it?
    I would suggest also looking into your own auto insurance as it may already cover a rental car. For those few times I've rented a vehicle I've always skipped the insurance as my car insurance already covers me.

1) Going to a park that is smaller, where you can see almost everything in a small period of time, but closes earlier (like Animal Kingdom, which closes at 6pm)

OR

2) Going to a larger park that stays open later, yet you might not see everything.

For example, if we went to animal kingdom at 1pm on a sunday in feb, is that enough time to see it all? OR should we start at maybe magic kingdom?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'd prefer to do the smaller park like AK then missing stuff in MK.

Going to the Animal Kingdom from the afternoon to evening might mean you don't get to see all of the animals (if that is what you want to see). That being said, Animal Kingdom is definitely the smallest of the parks and you could get through it in just one afternoon. If you want to see the animals there, you can also do half of Epcot, which is what my family always did. Downtown Disney, should you choose to go there at all, would only take a couple of hours but it's nice to go on the last day. That way, throughout the week you don't have to buy anything in the parks and carry them around with you because everything that's sold in the parks is sold somewhere at Downtown Disney.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by harpist1991 View Post
    Going to the Animal Kingdom from the afternoon to evening might mean you don't get to see all of the animals (if that is what you want to see). That being said, Animal Kingdom is definitely the smallest of the parks and you could get through it in just one afternoon. If you want to see the animals there, you can also do half of Epcot, which is what my family always did. Downtown Disney, should you choose to go there at all, would only take a couple of hours but it's nice to go on the last day. That way, throughout the week you don't have to buy anything in the parks and carry them around with you because everything that's sold in the parks is sold somewhere at Downtown Disney.
    I'm more interested in the main attractions, such as Kiliminjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Tree of Life, Finding Nemo Musical, and Indiana Jones, oops I mean Dinosar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast