Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We're Goin' to Disney World.

Me, my wife and our three boys, 10,12, & 14 are going to Disney World this year for Spring Break.

We are so excited.
    I was born & raised in Anaheim, so we know Disneyland very well.
    I am especially looking forward to riding the Monorail, and visiting the Magic Kingdom Park.
    We got 6 day Park Hoppers and the Disney Dining Plan.

We are taking one day to go to the Atlantic Coast for the day.
    Anybody have any suggestions for a Beach where the kids can go jump in the surf?
    I don't really want to drive all of the way to Daytona, but I guess we can if it's worth it.

What else do we just have to do?

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Re: We're Goin' to Disney World.

LOL, for our first trip to WDW we were there 9days and never managed to leave the property. May the force be with you.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife
    Anybody have any suggestions for a Beach where the kids can go jump in the surf?
    WDW is in "central" FL, similar to how Corona is in "central" SoCal. There really isn't a real beach close by.

If you don't want to drive to Daytona, you could take US 192 East from WDW directly to Melbourne Beach. There is public beach access all up & down A1A - the closest north/south road to the beach. While you're in the area, if your boys are into rocket ships & outer space, Cape Canaveral is a quick jaunt north of Melbourne Beach straight up north on A1A. Cape Canaveral is where NASA launches the Space Shuttle and various other rocket ships into orbit, and is home to the Kennedy Space Center which features interesting tours and experiences for visitors. Since the Space Shuttle program is ending right about when you're visiting, there's a good chance you might be able to obtain some memorabilia from the last Shuttle launch, or possibly even witness it yourself. Such a place has been popular with boys for several decades dating back to the Apollo moon missions and earlier. You could fairly easily make a day trip out of visiting Melbourne Beach, the Cape, and heading back to WDW for the evening.

But if you are willing to make the drive, Daytona Beach also has the Daytona Int'l Speedway to see. Even if you're not a Nascar fan, the racetrack alone is an attraction, especially to boys of those ages. The track tour that's offered year-round is fun & quite affordable.

I'd also suggest paying the nearby-to-WDW Fun Stop USA and Magical Midway a visit. I didn't get a chance to ride either, but the slingshot @ Fun Stop & star flyer @ Magical Midway looked fun.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 01-27-2011 at 10:18 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Talking Re: We're Goin' to Disney World.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    ... You could fairly easily make a day trip out of visiting Melbourne Beach, the Cape, and heading back to WDW for the evening....
    Thanks I'll look into Melbourne Beach.

...The track tour that's offered year-round is fun & quite affordable.
    As the song goes... I Love Nascar. Another great Idea.

We should have taken two weeks instead of 8 days.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I used to go to Cocoa Beach all the time when I lived out there. It's about an hour away on the 528 East if you don't mind paying a toll. I never went to the official Cocoa Beach because if you drive down A1A a bit until you hit 16th street, the 16th street beach has free parking and isn't nearly as crowded. It too is close to Cape Canaveral, if you feel like checking that out.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

How long would you guys want to be staying there?

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I believe the final shuttle launch is the 24th of Febraury though I may be incorrect on that...most of the beaches ala Daytona, Melbourne, Cape Canaveral are all approximately 1 hour away I can typically make it from WDW (Saratoga Springs, if that helps with judging distance) to Daytona Beach in about 45 minutes...

Enjoy your trip, I hope you enjoy it more than you enjoy Disneyland, WDW is sooo much more vast it's really amazing..

edit: ok I was waay off for the last shuttle launch here's the schedule for launches updated on their site on the 21st

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html
    Last edited by ORD84; 01-29-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• formerly very helpful

Speaking as a Southern California boy, we got beaches here. If it was me, we wouldn't leave WDW property. To me, a week is a short trip as it is.
    Whatever you choose to do, have a great trip and post many photos.

Whatever beach you pick out, it'll be about a 1 hour drive east or west to get to the coast.

• Metro-Retro Historian

One of my college professors (who also claimed to be an 800 year old wizard) claimed that he once drove from Orlando to Daytona in 11 minutes, but due to the rule that magic pays you back x3, it took him 3 hours to get back*. So if you also happen to be a wizard, plan accordingly.

*This story is 100% true, in that I actually did have a professor who told me this.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Speaking as a Southern California boy, we got beaches here. If it was me, we wouldn't leave WDW property. To me, a week is a short trip as it is.
    Whatever you choose to do, have a great trip and post many photos.
    We have beaches here, but they aren't FL beaches where the water is 70+ degrees and the shallows extend multiple football fields out from the beach. The FL Atlantic shores are really a whole other beach experience than what you'd get from a CA Pacific shore.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

We have beaches here, but they aren't FL beaches where the water is 70+ degrees and the shallows extend multiple football fields out from the beach. The FL Atlantic shores are really a whole other beach experience than what you'd get from a CA Pacific shore.
    Also Daytona is one of the only beaches in the world where the sand is hard enough for you to drive onto the beach...infact they ACTUALLY used to race on the beach back in the early days of NASCAR...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Thanks for the Advice,
    I have another question.
    We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside Hotel.
    I know that there are shuttles and buses, but Is it possible to walk to Downtown Disney, or Epcot from there.
    What would that walk be in comparison to the Walk from Mickey & Friends parking structure to the Disneyland Front Gate?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

IDK if it is possible to walk to DTD from PO but you wouldn't want to... the boat ride to DTD is about 30 mins so the walk would be crazy long. You can't walk to EPCOT from there.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    ...You can't walk to EPCOT from there.
    Thanks, I was looking at it on Google Maps and it looks a long way without walking trails.
    Can you take a boat from the Port Orleans Hotel to DTD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast