Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• AKA: Indyiluvu

WDW in one day, last minute advice

For all you here that gave me advice on my EPCOT drinking around the world thanks, but now I don't think I will be able to try. I had a change of plans and now I will probably only have one whole day for WDW since I want to see the Wizarding World. My first (and only) WDW trip was in 2006 when I did only Disney and stayed for 4 days and we park hopped all 4 days so I got to see all the must-see attractions. This trip will be short and I will only have time to go to USO for one day and WDW one day.

I will be at WDW on March 25th. So for WDW, since it has been a while since I went, what is the best advice for park hopping now? What about fastpass? My plan at the moment is to start at Animal Kingdom, then meeting my sister at EPCOT around 1pm. (She is only getting a one park pass since she has to work until noon) Then maybe leave her to go to Magic Kingdom for the last few hours since EPCOT closes at 9 and MK is open till 11. (I think, see below) I will mostly not be riding any attraction that is also at DLR, other than a few exceptions. As much as I love the WDW version of TOT I don't think I have time for all 4 parks and DHS was my least favoirites so I will probably be skipping it this trip.

EPCOT

World Showcase -11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    Future World - 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Extra Magic Hours - Non staying on property so I won't be able to to EMH

DHS
    9:00 AM - 7:00 PM

DAK
    9:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Magic Kingdom
    Weird seems the WDW March Calendar is blank?
    Calendar | Magic Kingdom Theme Park | Walt Disney World Resort

Well last week it was listed to be open 8-11. Assuming that is the case, I don't think it is worth an extra hour to to to Magic Kingdom first if I will be there at closing. Any advice would be great since it looks like a busy day I guess Spring Break will have started by then.

Must-See attractions
    Expedition Everest - Loved it last time
    Kali River Rapids - Did not have time to go on it last time, how does it compare to GRR?
    Dinosaur
    The Seas with Nemo and friends - This was not open last time I went
    Ellen's Energy Adventure - Did not have time for this last trip. Is it worth doing?
    Mission Space
    Test Track
    Haunted Mansion - I went before they added the library and staircases - will the extended crypt line be open by then?
    Swiss Family Tree House - Reminds me of my childhood at Disneyland before they changed to Tarzan
    People Mover - Also reminds me of riding it a Disneyland

If I have Time
    Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Jungle Treks
    Pirates of the Caribbean - One of my DL favorites and would like to see differences

Also what countries in EPCOT have rides? I didn't do any of those last time. Also does mouse ears still have the EPCOT retro shirts? If not, where on resort property could I find them?

I will take lots of Pics. If I do a trip report can I post the whole trip USO and WDW here? Or do I have to make a separate Universal Report?

Thanks in advance.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: WDW in one day, last minute advice

Your list is way too big for one day and multiple parks..

If you want to do DAK..
    head there first, grab a FP, ride everest (maybe 2 times)
    do the safari - skip dinosaur unless a total walk on (board at 5mins)
    use your everest FP
    head to epcot
    try to get a FP for TestTrack
    ride mission space
    go check out nemo
    hopefully TT time is ready.. or get in standby and then use your FP later
    ride Spaceship earth

That will probably put you at about 3-4pm
    Get some food...
    And then decide if you want to spend the rest of the day at MK or spend more time at EPCOT.. and then decide on Energy. It is classic Disney show, just not very inspiring as it was 25 years ago.

Then head to MK and do things like
    HM
    Space Mountain (to see the differences)
    POTC
    Jungle
    Pooh
    MILF
    PM
    etc

You could make your DAK day longer if you wanted.. but you would be stretching it I think.. and it's easier to stretch the end vs the start.

Energy is a VERY long attraction.. so in a time short day I'd be worried about it
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Joe View Post
    For all you here that gave me advice on my EPCOT drinking around the world thanks, but now I don't think I will be able to try. I had a change of plans and now I will probably only have one whole day for WDW since I want to see the Wizarding World. My first (and only) WDW trip was in 2006 when I did only Disney and stayed for 4 days and we park hopped all 4 days so I got to see all the must-see attractions. This trip will be short and I will only have time to go to USO for one day and WDW one day.

I will be at WDW on March 25th. So for WDW, since it has been a while since I went, what is the best advice for park hopping now? What about fastpass? My plan at the moment is to start at Animal Kingdom, then meeting my sister at EPCOT around 1pm. (She is only getting a one park pass since she has to work until noon) Then maybe leave her to go to Magic Kingdom for the last few hours since EPCOT closes at 9 and MK is open till 11. (I think, see below) I will mostly not be riding any attraction that is also at DLR, other than a few exceptions. As much as I love the WDW version of TOT I don't think I have time for all 4 parks and DHS was my least favoirites so I will probably be skipping it this trip.

EPCOT

World Showcase -11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    Future World - 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
    9:00 PM - 12:00 AM Extra Magic Hours - Non staying on property so I won't be able to to EMH

DHS
    9:00 AM - 7:00 PM

DAK
    9:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Magic Kingdom
    Weird seems the WDW March Calendar is blank?
    Calendar | Magic Kingdom Theme Park | Walt Disney World Resort

Well last week it was listed to be open 8-11. Assuming that is the case, I don't think it is worth an extra hour to to to Magic Kingdom first if I will be there at closing. Any advice would be great since it looks like a busy day I guess Spring Break will have started by then.

Must-See attractions
    Expedition Everest - Loved it last time
    Kali River Rapids - Did not have time to go on it last time, how does it compare to GRR?
    Dinosaur
    The Seas with Nemo and friends - This was not open last time I went
    Ellen's Energy Adventure - Did not have time for this last trip. Is it worth doing?
    Mission Space
    Test Track
    Haunted Mansion - I went before they added the library and staircases - will the extended crypt line be open by then?
    Swiss Family Tree House - Reminds me of my childhood at Disneyland before they changed to Tarzan
    People Mover - Also reminds me of riding it a Disneyland

If I have Time
    Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Jungle Treks
    Pirates of the Caribbean - One of my DL favorites and would like to see differences

Also what countries in EPCOT have rides? I didn't do any of those last time. Also does mouse ears still have the EPCOT retro shirts? If not, where on resort property could I find them?

I will take lots of Pics. If I do a trip report can I post the whole trip USO and WDW here? Or do I have to make a separate Universal Report?

Thanks in advance.
    Flynibus's advice looks pretty good to me. I agree you are not going to be able to do everything, or anywhere near everything on your list in one day. My recommendation is going to be MUST must see, if you have to trim your list even further than what Flynibus suggests, which I fear you might.

AK: Do Expedition Everest (you know you must!) Honestly, I wouldn't even bother getting FP, I would get there fifteen minutes before they open, so you can be infront, then take the short-cut through Dinoland (make a left right after the bridge, you will pass Nemo show and come upon EE from the right) I am usually able to ride it at least twice before the FP time even comes due.

Now the question, is it worth staying to check out Kali River Rapids and/or dinosaur, or should you just head to Epcot? I'd vote for heading straight to Epcot. Kali RR is SHORT, Dinosaur is the same as the Indy ride in Disneyland, with a fraction of the theming, and broken effects. You could probably just walk on, and it would be on your way out of the park from EE if you go back the way (I suggested) you came, but prepare to be underwhelmed! Kilimanjaro safari is very far from the park exit. (sighs) It is worth doing, but it's not the greatest thing ever, and given you only have one day, I'd skip it.

Head to Epcot and get FP for testtrack before you do anything else. Consider a walk-on for Mission Space. Nemo is usually a walk-on, yes go see that. Ellen Energy Universe is Looooonngggg... should you spend an entire forty-five minutes of you single precious day on that attraction? I would say no... it feels pretty dated. I don't see Spaceship Earth on your list but I recommend it. It was refurbed... can't think if it was before or after your last trip... the narrator is now Judy Dench, used to be Jeremy Irons, and some other changes... Spend some time with your sister! Then head to MK around 4. Obviously do those must-dos you mentioned. Pirates is a fraction of what it is in Disneyland (don't get me started!) so don't feel bad if you miss that one. Definitely do Space!! Philarmagic is pretty cool, the fireworks are out of this world. You are right about the blank calender, weird! Hopefully open til 11 like you said.

I look forward to your trip report! Regarding is it OK to post about Universal here, um, I don't know if that's frowned-upon or not. People do end up talking about it, I mean, it's bound to come up!

I'm not going to give you a day schedule because 2 others have already said what I'd say. Your planning to much for 1 day. Ellen's Energy Adventure probably isn't worth going through, as the ride is pretty long and then you have to also wait in line simply to ride it. Do Test Track, Mission: Space, Nemo and Spaceship Earth. If you've got time, maybe go through the World showcase, but it's not a must do-type thing. There isn't actually a whole lot to do at the showcase anyways. If I were you, I'd ride Snow White's Scary Adventure because it may be the last chance for you to ride it at Disneyworld. It may be a ride at Disneyland, but you probably wont get a chance to ride it at Disneyworld again, since it'll be torn down and replaced with the coaster in the fantasyland expansion. I always love riding the Jungle Cruise, and Pirates of the Caribbean usually has a pretty quick line. Haunted Mansion goes by pretty fast too. And if you want to ride something that you can't at Disneyland, you need to see Mickey's Philharmagic. it's a great show that you can't see anywhere else in the US. It's a good idea to skip DHS because it is a waste of time for only having 1 day. I've never been on Expedition Everest, but I do know that unless Dinosaur has a small line, don't ride it. It really isn't worth the long wait. If you want to do the safari, you probably need to do that first, so you can see how much time you've got left in the day. Maybe get a fp for Everest and the rapids and then go see the safari. That way, you've got a short line for both of the other rides. It also gives you a bit more time at Epcot. Overall, just have fun.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I wouldn't say DHS is a waste of time.. but hitting all 4 parks in one day just wouldn't really be advisable. Take your pick between DHS and DAK. At DHS, hitting things like RnRC, ToT, and GMR would be a good alternative to DAK.

The thing not noted before was.. the OP is going during peak season so lines will likely be long. 30min-60min being quite common, plus the attraction cycle time.

Knowing that.. I'd probably change DAK to
    Get Everest FP
    Ride Everest.. do it again if line is short
    Check out Dinosaur's wait - do it if less then 15min
    Then do Everest one more time.. then head out.

At EPCOT try
    Get FP for TT (will probably already be gone)
    If TT line is very long, consider skipping it
    Do M:S
    Then Nemo
    Then SSE
    Head to MK
    do what you can Phil is a good suggestion, HM, Pirates always go fast.
    All FPs will be gone for MK by that time.. so Space will probably be a 60-70min wait

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Thanks in advance.
    Hi, you can put both parks in the same trip report in this forum, that is ok I would suggest that you separate them, just because the Universal will probably get more reads in its proper forum. But that is not required

I'll leave the semantics of your trip to the others who know better
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    (snip)
    The thing not noted before was.. the OP is going during peak season so lines will likely be long. 30min-60min being quite common, plus the attraction cycle time.

(snip)
    All FPs will be gone for MK by that time.. so Space will probably be a 60-70min wait
    Yes and Yes. You might be able to get Space Mountain towards closing (don't necessarily believe posted wait times near closing time), during the first parade will be better too

Thanks you guys! Micechat is the best! Is SSE that much better/different since the refurb? I was not one of my favorites last time, probably going to skip it this time. Also, is Space Mountain any better since the refurb or is it just the new music? I remember that I prefered Disneyland's Space Mountain, so I may skip that too. Is Snow White Scary Adventures the same ride as the one at Disneyland? If so, again I will probably skip it. And I watched Philharmagic 4 times last trip, so I will only see it again if there is time.

I think the majority of my time will be at EPCOT. Going by the above advice, I narrowed down my list of Must-See attractions:

DAK: Expedition Everest. Does EE still have the single rider line? Because I will be there by myself. If the lines for Dinosaur and/or KRR are long then I will be OK just exploring and doing the jungle treks. Don't mind skipping the safaris either.

EPCOT: Nemo and Friends and Test Track. If I can't get a TT fast pass, does it still have single rider?

Magic Kingom: Still the Haunted Mansion, Swiss Family Tree House and People Mover.

Everything else I will play by ear.

I am so EXCITED!
    Last edited by Indiana Joe; 03-14-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

I just realized something amazing: I am going to Disneyland by myself the same day you are going to WDW! Crazy, huh? I too, am super super excited to go to the park I don't get to visit too often.

Anyway, yes I think SSE is better since the refurb. I never used to like it much, but I t.hink it's pretty cool now. There are many micechatters who prefer the previous version, however.

Space Mountain: yes Disneyland is better. The refurb didn't do much other than add some video games to the queue. Not sure if Snow White is the same, but it's the original version that's been there forever.

There is single rider for EE and for Test Track. That should help you out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
    I just realized something amazing: I am going to Disneyland by myself the same day you are going to WDW! Crazy, huh? I too, am super super excited to go to the park I don't get to visit too often.

Anyway, yes I think SSE is better since the refurb. I never used to like it much, but I t.hink it's pretty cool now. There are many micechatters who prefer the previous version, however.

Space Mountain: yes Disneyland is better. The refurb didn't do much other than add some video games to the queue. Not sure if Snow White is the same, but it's the original version that's been there forever.

There is single rider for EE and for Test Track. That should help you out a lot.
    Haha that is weird! Thanks for the advice, let me know if you have any questions about Disneyland. Hope to see your trip report
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Haha that is weird! Thanks for the advice, let me know if you have any questions about Disneyland. Hope to see your trip report
    Actually, I do, related to DCA. Not sure if you've been on WDW versions of ToT and TSM, but I am wondering if I should check out the DCA versions of these rides?

• Pilot EdForceOne

ToT is an easy attraction to do in DCA.. short line. you should do it just to see the differences

TSM.. just look in.. no need to ride. everything is outside that is different.

Am I evil? yes, I am

If anyone has been to EPCOT lately do they still have the retro T-Shirts available? If not, can I get them elsewhere on WDW property such as DTD? I'm looking for the green shirt with the different EPCOT logos. Thanks
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

I want to say this first, because it may be the most important time saver: get to DAK early! They will let guests in all the way to the entrance to Discovery Island before rope drop, and I have definitely seen the rope drop before the park is officially supposed to be open. So just getting to the turnstiles at 9 could be costing you time! Not a lot of time, mind you, but you're trying to do WDW in one day. I agree about doing DAK first. MK opening earlier will probably act like EMH and siphon off the early risers. Disclaimer: my experience at WDW is during slower times of the year, so maybe that's why I'm more optimistic than other posters. I think you could do all four parks in a day.

Here's the way I see DAK: Plan A is get outta DAK ASAP to head to Studios and ride ToT before meeting your sis at Epcot. To do this, head straight to the Safaris at rope drop, then EE single rider, then check out the wait on Dinosaur. I would say ride it if it's 10-15 mins or less. I recommend skipping fastpass for this plan because it is a LONG walk from EE to Africa. I'm not sure how much time an early morning FP at EE will save you over single rider. Those are the highlights of DAK. Kali is not worth the time if you can ride GRR in California.

Plan B is to give up hope of DHS and do DAK a little more justice. At rope drop, head straight to Dinosaur. The vast majority of people are either heading to EE or KS, so I would almost guarantee Dinosaur to be a walk-on... should be less than a 10 min hiccup in your touring. Head to EE. Ride it if the wait time isn't bad. If the wait time is already up, get a FP. Factor the walk back across the park into your decision. Next head to KS. If the wait time is up here and you didn't FP EE, FP this and explore Pangani (and maybe Maharajah?) while you wait.

The DAK crowd-pleaser that I haven't seen mentioned is Festival of the Lion King. I don't know if you saw it on your last trip, but it's pretty cool and there's no show like it at DLR. There are shows at 10, 11 & 12 on your day. If there's space left in the theater, they'll let people in 5 mins (maybe more) past the start time of the show. The beginning of the show is mostly warming up the crowd, no big loss to miss it, IMO. You would still get the gymnastics, the fire dancer, the wire work and most of the singing. If you notice that you're heading to the park exit near 10 or 11, try heading to Camp Minnie-Mickey.

If you think you have time for DHS, just head down Sunset Blvd. and check out the wait times for ToT and RnR. If neither of those look good, I think GMR is often forgotten. It's a unique ride and you don't have to head that far into the park to get to it.

At Epcot, I would say you should skip Ellen even though I personally love it. The attraction itself is 45 mins independently of any wait time. Regarding SSE, I think if you didn't care for it before the refurb, then you probably won't now. The good thing about SSE, though, is that the loading area is almost immediately inside the building. If you're walking by and the line is only a few deep outside the building, then the ride will be a walk-on. Worth a shot for not a long wait; it is Epcot's signature attraction, after all. First order of business is Epcot... I would go straight to Maelstrom and get a FP, then ride TT single rider and Mission:Space. If you somehow make it into Epcot before World Showcase opens, then FP something in Future World. I'm not very familiar with the waits for M:S, so maybe it would be best to FP that and take your chances with Maelstrom... not sure there. Gran Fiesta Tour shouldn't be a long wait, and neither should Nemo. Only Mexico and Norway have rides.

Next, the transfer to MK. Are you driving? I know you said you're off-site, so I assume you are. Even though you may have a car, I would suggest leaving the car at Epcot and taking the monorail back there after MK closes. If you find yourself in World Showcase when it's time to head to MK, hop the bus at one of the hotels near the International Gateway. If you're closer to the front of the park, take the monorail. You said you wanted to head to MK for the last couple hours, but check the schedule: MSEP @ 9 &11, Wishes @ 10. If you walk into MK at 9, the parade will be starting in Town Square and Main Street will be a madhouse. Honestly, I would buy the PH for your sister and take her with you to MK. Yes, $54 for a one-day parkhopper is silly, but then you won't be at MK by yourself and it's more time with your sister. If $54 would put you in the poorhouse, then you probably wouldn't be going to WDW, anyway. Vacations are for splurging.

As for what to actually do at MK, I would try to do Space Mtn. I think it's a smoother ride after the refurb and the music is neat (although not synchronized to the ride like in DL). The biggest improvement to the ride is that the loading area is now enclosed so that the ride itself is much darker. Before the refurb, I would ride looking up at the ceiling so that I couldn't see the track in front of me; after the refurb, I rode in the front car and I couldn't see where we were going most of time. Buzz is much better in DL, MILF is fun if you didn't do Turtle Talk at Epcot. No need to do them both with the kind of schedule you need to keep. Pooh is pretty similar, so I wouldn't ride it unless you really like Pooh. The rest of Fantasyland I'm not sure you need to do. IASW might be worth doing if you don't like the characters in the DL version. The new queue at HM seems to be soft open now, so it will probably be open when you're there. Splash is supposed to be better at WDW, but I've never ridden the one at DL for comparison. WDW's Jungle Cruise has the temple, so that's worth seeing. Other than that...

Have a magical day!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ToT is an easy attraction to do in DCA.. short line. you should do it just to see the differences

TSM.. just look in.. no need to ride. everything is outside that is different.
    Thanks! I'll do that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast