Thread: Vacation Help

• Don't Stop Believing

Vacation Help

I am trying to plan a vacation for the summer of 2012. What is the best time during the summer to go? Also, would you recommend the quick service meal plan and the all-star movie resort, or is there another value-inn you would suggest? Would you recommend the water parks for teenagers? Also, is there a bus that goes from the parks to the value-inn hotels?
    What are some things I should know before planning a family trip to Disney world? Two of us have never been to WDW and two of us have, but they went several years ago and don't remember much, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you!!
    When You Keep On Believing, A Dream That You Wish Will Come True
    Visit my Flickr!

• Don't Stop Believing

Re: Vacation Help

Also, does anyone have a suggested airfare site to get cheap airfare with only about a 2 1/2 month notice, leaving from CA?
    And does the Disney Premier Pass give you a hotel discount for July/early August?
    Sorry for so many questions-I'm new at this.
    Last edited by DisneyAsh; 05-17-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Thought of more questions
    Visit my Flickr!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Wow that is a lot of questions

The best time in summer (which i wouldn't recommend to begin with) is the end of August towards Labor Day - slightly less crowded and sometimes Disney puts out deals.

Getting the meal plan depends on a lot of things. If you're lucky, they'll offer it for free when you go (they sometimes do at the end of August)

People say Pop Century is the best value resort. I have stayed at All Star Music, and it was fine. All of the All Stars are about the same. there are busses from all of the parks and both the water parks to the values.

Never gone to a water park, but my husband says yes to the teenagers having fun at them. Blizzard Beach has more thrilling rides in his option, but Typhoon Lagoon has the Crushin gusher - a water roller coaster.

I would suggest Virgin Air or Jet Blue for flying.

The Primer Pass should give you a discount in the summer - there are AP hotel discounts pretty much year round.

I would recommend looking at AllEars.Net - The Unofficial Disney Vacation Planning Guide - Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line It is chock full of planning information!!

HTH - I know how overwhelming it can be to plan a WDW vacation!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyAsh View Post
    I am trying to plan a vacation for the summer of 2012. What is the best time during the summer to go? Also, would you recommend the quick service meal plan and the all-star movie resort, or is there another value-inn you would suggest? Would you recommend the water parks for teenagers? Also, is there a bus that goes from the parks to the value-inn hotels?
    What are some things I should know before planning a family trip to Disney world? Two of us have never been to WDW and two of us have, but they went several years ago and don't remember much, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you!!
    Welcome to Central Florida! Sounds like you're coming from California, and, whilst the gist is the same, understand we're much larger and our experiences are different. So when you arrive keep that mind open and the heart involved, you'll love our little space on the map.

Disney World, like Florida, doesn't really have 'seasons' any more, both figuratively and literally. I've learned that without summer, winter, fall, and spring here in Florida; there's really no way to truly gauge the crowds at our grand resort. As previously mentioned, late August is good as many kids go back to school, with a slight uptick around Labor Day. The month of July should probably just be removed from your list. Early June is also good.

Decide if you want on-property and off property. Hotels are cheaper off property and some offer busses to the resort (if you don't rent a car), breakfasts, and are far from the hustle and bustle of the resort proper. However, they are not always giving you rides to the resorts you want--sometimes they just go to a central location, you have to keep moving to the next bus and line. On property has perks like the in-resort bussing and extra magic hours (in before the parks open/stay late after close) but the pricing is far from 'value.'

I have not done the meal plan, but the advice I hear is that if you get it..use it.

There are three All Star Resorts, with slight variations. Check the pricing at all three. They are the end of a bus line, so they will ship you to some parks and downtown. I've not used them in some time, I'll default to others on this one. Last I heard they were moving people to downtown and then you were bussed out from there. Anyone?

Waterparks? For teenagers? Absolutely! There are more thrill type slides at Blizzard Beach. GET THERE at OPENING. You'll be in the Florida heat and everyone thinks the same....water! Myself? I like Typhoon Lagoon a bit more. It's larger so the crowds are absorbed a bit more than others. It feels more like a day at the beach. Plus, if you're not into speed slides (I'm surely not) there's a bit more to do here. We bring a cooler and just pretend we're at Cocoa Beach or Ormand Beach. Same gist.

Really, I recommend hitting your local library and see about picking up a guidebook or two and doing a smidgen of reading. You'd not go to Paris without reading up on it first, would you? And when you have a resort as large as ours, it is the same deal! You've started off on the right foot by posting here...what more can we do for you?

Flying here? I always recommend using your multiple screens. Start at, like, kayak.com and then use that as a starting point. Then open multiple screens and go directly to the airlines. Compare, contrast and see who's cheaper. That might work.

Make a trip report! Let us know how it goes!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Don't Stop Believing

Oh my gosh, Thank you both SOO much for all of the information. Thank you for taking your time to answer the many questions I asked ( I know it's a lot, but I don't know anyone who has gone in the past 10 years).I was going to try and go this summer, but we were only going to be able to go for 3 full days. I would much rather wait until we can take our time and go for at least a week, but hopefully more. I will be sure to pick up a book ASAP. Thank you both again for all of your helpful information!!
    Last edited by DisneyAsh; 06-02-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Visit my Flickr!