Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Planning first visit

Good day all,

Wife (Amy) and I went to DL last year in May and I went on a weekend of Reserve duty.

Now we are planning our first trip to DWD this coming Jan/Feb.

I lived in Orlando for a year will in boot camp and A-school but never got over there.

Our plan is to spend 8 days there. Hopefully in a park hotel. We want to keep the hotel budget around $150-200/night.

I've been reading a couple of the books but looking for more update info.

Just the 2 of us. Not into the thrill rides (did Space Mountain in DL and NEVER AGAIN!!!) but enjoy most other things.

We will hoof it most places when on vacations. 8+ hours on our feet aren't a big deal so we always like to leave the cars behind as much as possible.

Thx,
    Jim

Re: Planning first visit

You've picked a great time to go - the parks aren't so crowded and the room prices are low (provided you don't go Presidents' Day weekend) - your budget should be able to get you in a moderate resort hotel (starting at approx $131 a night) or a value resort (starting at approx $89 a night). There are a lot of options to choose from - I would recommend the Disney website so you can see what each of the resorts looks like.

A good guide book is a great place to start - that way you can figure out all the things you'd like to do and try to map out an itinerary. 8 days is a nice amount of time - it will allow you to do a lot without feeling rushed. Make sure you leave some down time at the pool or to take some time to explore your resort (or the others for that matter). There is a lot to see at the resort beyond the parks.

One of the decisions you need to think about is whether or not to do Advanced Dinner Reservations. You'll need them for any table-service restaurants and a lot of them need to be booked months in advance. Unless you get hopper passes, you're committed to that park for that day months ahead of time - not everybody likes that - you might want to decide how much flexibility you like when you're on vacation.

Something else to think about - you mentioned that you like to "hoof it" during vacations but you won't be able to do that at the World - the place is huge, as in over 27000 acres huge. You don't need a car since there are different types of transportation provided by the resort, but you might want one. You'll find that for most people it's a personal preference.

Have fun planning this - use the reservations people when you call to book this - they have a lot of tips that might add to your experience.

i'm also curious if you specifically want to stay on property? i knows some people could care less where they sleep but i like going somewhere that feels really comfy and clean (i am on vacation after all)i have always stayed in nice hotels but can't afford the 4 star contemporary for $400 a night but i can afford the brand new four star hilton that's 10 min away with a whole foods 5 min away (we try to eat healthy and the hilton has a kitchen) it's like 150 a night

Thanks. I am looking into the Swan and Dolphin. I get a military discount which brings it down to $159 at 2011 prices. It looks fairly convenient for getting around the parks. Also going to get 2 4 day park hoppers at military rate of $138. It's a $11 saving over a 8 day + park hopper.

Jim

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drac View Post
    Good day all,

Wife (Amy) and I went to DL last year in May and I went on a weekend of Reserve duty.

Now we are planning our first trip to DWD this coming Jan/Feb.

I lived in Orlando for a year will in boot camp and A-school but never got over there.

Our plan is to spend 8 days there. Hopefully in a park hotel. We want to keep the hotel budget around $150-200/night.

I've been reading a couple of the books but looking for more update info.

Just the 2 of us. Not into the thrill rides (did Space Mountain in DL and NEVER AGAIN!!!) but enjoy most other things.

We will hoof it most places when on vacations. 8+ hours on our feet aren't a big deal so we always like to leave the cars behind as much as possible.

Thx,
    Jim
    I would also suggest a moderate hotel for $150-200 a night, specifically French Quarter, it's more intimate than the other moderates and very romantic. If you get a good rate, you might even be able to get into the Wilderness Lodge, which is the best resort on property in my opinion. Truly a wonderful experience that feels like it's a million miles away, but is right around the corner from the Magic Kingdom.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Have you looked into the Shades of Green resort?

Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air

I don't know what their transportation is like, but I've heard military families saying lots of nice things about the place.

If you do decide on a Disney Moderate resort, I can second yoyoflamingo's recommendation of Port Orleans French Quarter. I stayed there in June, and it was really lovely and luxurious for the price. It had a small, intimate feeling, and although there were families there it was very grownup-friendly and would be quite romantic for a vacationing couple. All of the rooms have been recently renovated, and they have cool stuff like surrey bike rentals and boat rides on the Sassagoula River. This fan site has a lot of info an pictures: http://www.portorleans.org

The French Quarter did catch my eyes. The book recommended it for kidless types and my wife is a beignet addict. Too many trips to Cafe du Monde in NOLA

We will look into the Shades of Green as well.

I do have a couple "play" books coming in. Since we will have a lot of time to do the parks at a bit of a leasurely pace, there will be smaller crowds and we aren't the lounge by the pool types (Amy can't swim) I thought we could do some of the Hidden Mickey questing. Also picked up - The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World for some little questing and interesting facts.

I am working on my drawing skills as after going to the classes at DL I came up with the idea of doing small drawings on the autograph pages. While my skills aren't as good as before cataracts I can make some recognizable pics.

On food I'm waffling on that. I don't know about WDW but none of the DL table services were all that impressive. We snacked on park food but normally with out park for dinner at Downtown. Is the food at WDW tableservice better?

Jim
    Last edited by Drac; 08-17-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Fixed

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I think you mean WDW, not DWD.

The table service restaurants I've experienced at the parks have been quite good. EPCOT has some of the best restaurants on property, in my opinion. I've eaten at Le Chefs de France and enjoyed it. Same with the Rose & Crown pub in the UK. and at MK I've eaten at the Crystal Palace several times and enjoyed it. It's a buffet, but lots of choices. I usually stick to the counter service restaurants though as: 1) It's cheaper, and 2) I can eat on a whim and not have to worry about making reservations months in advance and then having to plan my day around those reservations. Over at Hollywood Studios I once had lunch at 50's Prime Time and had the biggest ham sandwich I'd ever seen in my life (and it was quite tasty too). If I *do* do a table service restaurant, I do lunch over dinner because it's cheaper than the dinner menu and also a little easier to get lunch reservations over dinner ones. A little trick though is if you can wait, do a late lunch reservation towards the end of the lunch service time. You'll still pay the lunch price and you can just consider it an early dinner.

The restaurants at the hotels are good too. I've had 2 meals at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian (dinner and breakfast) and loved it. Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge is a bit noisy/rowdy at times, but the food is great. I loved the BBQ I got, my mom loved her rainbow trout and my dad was impressed with the pot roast.

Now if we're talking counter service restaurants, I can help you out better in this area. at MK I like Pinocchio Village Haus (though I'm still mourning the death of Figaro Fries), Columbia Harbor House and Pecos Bill's. At EPCOT, the old Cantina in Mexico was really good. Haven't tried the new place yet. Yakitori House in Japan is pretty decent (but disappointed a little since they switched the chicken meat they use from white to dark). The fish & chips stand in the UK is really good.

Downtown Disney has some good stuff too... Wolfgang Puck's is really good, but overpriced in my opinion. The Express Cafe on thew Westside is more reasonably priced than the inside dining rooms. I highly recommend the BBQ chicken salad. Rainforest Cafe is... meh. I can get an equivalent meal for less at the TGI Friday's at the nearby Crossroads. I personally LOVE Earl of Sandwich. The new restaurant that replaced McDonald's on the Marketplace Side, Pollo Campero/Fresh-A-Peel is good. Really good fried chicken! Oh and over in the Pleasure Island area, Ragland Road is really good. I like the counter service option (Cooke's of Dublin I believe it's called) as well. Great fish & chips!

Hope this gives you some insight and options for dining.

• Minion

The French Quarter did catch my eyes. The book recommended it for kidless types and my wife is a beignet addict. Too many trips to Cafe du Monde in NOLA

We will look into the Shades of Green as well.

I do have a couple "play" books coming in. Since we will have a lot of time to do the parks at a bit of a leasurely pace, there will be smaller crowds and we are the lounge by the pool types (Amy can't swim) I thought we could do some of the Hidden Mickey questing. Also picked up - The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World for some little questing and interesting facts.

I am working on my drawing skills as after going to the classes at DL I came up with the idea of doing small drawings on the autograph pages. While my skills aren't as good as before cataracts I can make some recognizable pics.

On food I'm waffling on that. I don't know about DWD but none of the DL table services were all that impressive. We snacked on park food but normally with out park for dinner at Downtown. Is the food at DWD tableservice better?

Jim
    LOVE Café du Monde! My pal in East Texas sends me a can of their brew whenever he goes to NOLA - right now I'm looking at an empty CdM can I use as a pencil cup. The beignets at French Quarter are delicious.

Name:  8-16-2011 12-25-19 PM.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  32.0 KB

On food I'm waffling on that. I don't know about WDW but none of the DL table services were all that impressive. We snacked on park food but normally with out park for dinner at Downtown. Is the food at WDW tableservice better?

Jim
    WDW's food is 10x better than DL/DCA. This is one area where WDW does a great job. When I go to DL/DCA, I either eat at the hotels or at their Downtown Disney restaurants.

I think I only had one meal that wasn't impressive at WDW when I went last year, and that was at an "Italian" restaurant in Hollywood Studios, where it's pretty difficult to find a good sit down restaurant that isn't themed to death. However, the ice cream shop in DL is far better than its counterpart in MK.

Now, the challenge with eating at WDW is getting a reservation. But the food is good! This is one area that you won't see on the flaw list.

• WDW will always be home.

In a word, yes.

With the possible exceptions of Blue Bayou/Club 33/Cafe Orleans, DLR is generally known for having pretty poor in-park food. WDW on the other hand is known as something of a foodie paradise, and this is the one thing that just about everyone will admit WDW does better than DLR. My recommendations are below, shamelessly copied from another post on this site:

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Dining Options - DDP
    This really depends on your dining habits. As a general rule, the DDP as it exists right now is not a good deal. Unless you take advantage of every single one of your entitlements (too much food for most people), and get the most expensive items possible, you will be paying more for the DDP than you would if you just paid for everything out of pocket. Even if you do maximize your entitlements and get the most expensive things possible, depending on where you eat, you still may just break even. And you will be locked into eating what you've already paid for by buying the DDP rather than having the freedom to eat what/when/where you choose. Suffice it to say, I do not recommend the DDP.
    Addendum: If you can get the DDP at a military discount, it may actually be a good deal. If that's the case, try to compare the cost per day of the DDP vs. what you would realistically pay for food in a day based on WDW's menus (linked below). Also consider how well what the DDP provides would line up with your family's eating habits. It's not worth it if it's not giving you the food/beverages you want and/or a bunch of extra food you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Dining Advice
    I'd recommend checking the menus at Disney World Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort so you know both the menu options and pricing. For any table service restaurant, make reservations ASAP - they become available 6 months out. Here are some of the highlights as far as what to try and what to avoid IMO:

Magic Kingdom - Table Service
    • Tony's Town Square - Probably the most universally poorly reviewed TSR at WDW. Food is just flat-out bad. Avoid this.
    • Cinderella's Royal Table - Pricey, atmosphere and food are both lacking. The only reason to eat here is if you have princess-obsessed children or to say you ate in the Castle. Again, one to avoid.
    • The Plaza Restaurant - Often overlooked, but a nice place for a relaxing lunch or dinner. If you're on DDP, avoid this as it's super-cheap for a TSR so you won't be getting your money's worth. If you have TIW, this is actually cheaper than a MK quick service restaurant but with better quality food and you get waited on.
    • Crystal Palace - Nice buffet, very similar to 1900 Park Fare and Chef Mickey's. The primary differentiation among all 3 is the location and the characters. This has Pooh characters.
    • Liberty Tree Tavern - Lunch is a la carte, dinner is family style fixed menu/price. I prefer lunch where they serve one of the best burgers on property. Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake is a cult favorite WDW dessert.

Magic Kingdom - Quick Service
    • Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn Cafe - Standard quick service, but good atmosphere and though they're really all the same everywhere, lots of people swear that the quick service burgers "just taste better here."
    • Columbia Harbor House - My personal favorite quick service restaurant on property. Good selection, but the highlight is the somewhat secluded second floor which is not accessible for those with strollers. This means it tends to be very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing - also one of the rooms on the 2nd floor forms a "bridge" over the border between Fantasyland and Liberty Square which is a great place to people watch.

Epcot - Table Service
    • Tutto Italia - Overpriced and inconsistent as far as food quality goes. One to avoid.
    • Le Cellier - Very good but no longer lives up to the hype. It's impossible to get into, but if you're going to try, go for lunch when it's cheaper and the food is almost exactly the same.
    • San Angel Inn - Great Mexican food with great atmosphere.
    • Via Napoli - The best pizza on property. Pizza is expensive, but a large pizza will feed 4.
    • Biergarten - Great German buffet with live entertainment.
    • Chefs de France - Great food overall. Try to get in during lunch where you can see Remy (very entertaining) and it's a little cheaper.
    • Rose and Crown - Great bar, and not bad food.
    • Bistro de Paris - A personal favorite. The most expensive TSR in this park, and one of the more expensive ones on property, so not somewhere I go all the time, but for special occasions, you cannot beat the food, service, and atmosphere here. If this is in the budget, get a late reservation and ask for a window seat so you can watch Illuminations from your table. Superb.

Epcot - Quick Service
    Anywhere that isn't Electric Umbrella or Liberty Inn (unless you're looking for just plain, standard American theme park fast food) depending on your tastes. You can't go wrong here.

Hollywood Studios - Table Service
    • Sci-Fi Dine In - Really, really fun atmosphere themed to a '50s drive in theater. Decent food.
    • Prime Time '50s - Like the Jungle Cruise, the amount of fun you have here depends on your skipper, er, I mean server. They treat you like you're the kids in a '50s sitcom and they're the parents. Lots of fun with a good server, but the food isn't spectacular.
    • Mama Melrose - Often overlooked, but some of the best Italian on property.
    • Hollywood Brown Derby - Great food, nice atmosphere, pricey.

Hollywood Studios - Quick Service
    • Sunset Ranch Market - Has a lot of variety but is outside so may be unpleasant depending on the weather
    • Pizza Planet - basic pizza and salad, but kids love it
    • ABC Commissary - has more adult tastes

Animal Kingdom - Table Service

• Yak & Yeti - Great Asian cuisine. Will not accept Tables In Wonderland. One of 2 TSRs in this park, the other being Rainforest Cafe. But seriously, why would you go to Rainforest Cafe in WDW when they're all over the place?

Animal Kingdom - Quick Service

• Flame Tree Barbecue - Great BBQ, between the food and the location/theme, it's generally considered the best quick service restaurant at WDW.
    • Pizzafari - The only quick service restaurant with air conditioning in this park
    • There really are no bad quick service locations in this park

Out of Park Dining Highlights
    • Beaches and Cream - A "best kept secret," this TSR which doesn't take reservations has the best ice cream on property. Tucked away at the Beach Club Resort, this is walkable from Epcot. A great place to go for dessert after Illuminations. Ask a CM for directions.
    • California Grill - Dinner here offers great food and a gorgeous view of the sun setting over the Magic Kingdom from the top of the Contemporary Resort. Some people love to watch the MK fireworks here. They pipe in the music, but it's still not as good as seeing the fireworks from in front of the castle IMHO. On the pricey side.
    • Big River Grille & Brewing Works - Another TSR that doesn't take reservations; good food and the only microbrewery on property. At the Boardwalk Inn, also walkable from Epcot.
    • Whispering Canyon Cafe - Offers pretty good "all you care to eat" barbecue and some of the most fun atmosphere on property. It's hard to describe the experience but the word that comes to mind is "rowdy." Lots of yelling, screaming, and servers doing some flat out crazy things. In the Wilderness Lodge.
    • Portobello - Probably the best Italian on property. Not cheap, but incredible food. At Downtown Disney.
    • Yachtsman Steakhouse - Definitely not cheap, but fan consensus is that they have the best steaks on property. At the Yacht Club resort.
    • Victoria and Albert's - WDW's flagship (and most expensive) restaurant and one of less than five 5 star restaurants in FL. If you're a foodie, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. Otherwise, it may be a little too fancy. Formal attire required. At the Grand Floridian Resort.
    I would also just like to echo what others have said regarding "hoofing it" - at DLR you have two parks separated by a small esplanade. At WDW, you have 43 square miles (twice the size of Manhattan) of property where the parks and resorts can be very spread out so just walking from park to park isn't an option (unless you're talking about Epcot and the Studios).

Renting a car is a good idea if it's in the budget as not having to rely on Disney's often-unpredictable bus service can save you a lot of time and frustration. This is even more true if you stay at French Quarter (where you'll be totally dependent on Disney buses to get anywhere if you don't have a car) and even truer still if you stay at Shades of Green. Shades of Green is not serviced by Magical Express, so it's either rent a car or get a taxi at $65 each way just to get on property. Once you're there, you have to take Shades of Green's free bus service to get to the Transportation & Ticket Center where you'll have to take connecting transportation to MK, Epcot, or Downtown Disney (Bus Route A) or Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach/Hollywood Studios (Bus Route B). Unfortunately, WDW's size/layout means you need to factor transportation into your vacation plans.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-16-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Thanks for the good info.

Just got my vacation planning packet with the DVD. Will be going through it this weekend. Trying to use all the resources I can find.

Also got in that Hidden Magic book to start going through as well.

Jim

The Hidden Magic book is great!! I found it especially helpful for waiting in long lines. The book has lots of information on things to look for in different queues, so it makes waiting in line kind of like a scavenger hunt instead of just waiting!
    A word of caution about the Swan and Dolphin: during the off-season, the All Star Resorts and Swan and Dolphin often combine their bus service, especially at night. I ran into this problem on a trip in October 2009, when I was staying at All Star Movies and was forced to stop at the Swan, Dolphin, and the other All Star resorts before finally arriving at my resort. Not sure if this is still the case, but you may want to be prepared for longer bus waits at night, just in case. Another option is renting the car.
    Also, not sure if this is changing with the new changes to the Dining Plan, but it used to be that the Swan and the Dolphin do not qualify for the Dining Plan.
    If you are interested in the Dining Plan but don't want to take the time for sit-down meals, the Quick Service Dining Plan is a great option! We found that it is possible to get large portions at quick service eateries. The two largest portions we found were at Sunshine Seasons in the Land at Epcot, and Tomorrowland Terrace in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom. Also, right now, Disney is running their free Dining Plan promotion when you book an on-property hotel. It's subject to blackout dates, but if you are planning Jan/Feb, you should have no problem and may want to look into that deal.

We will have to do the number crunching. If you take the dining plans you have to take undiscounted tickets.

But we may look into the Quick Service Dining Plan even if it is not free. While I am a foodie and I love a good meal I'm not the type that has his hands tied 6 months ahead of time on where and when I'm having dinner. The Dining Plan would require us to map everynight out way ahead of time.

As for the scavenger hunt I also have the Hidden Mickeys book coming in. Again just for fun.

Jim

• WDW will always be home.

Strong recommendation here - if you're a foodie, I would not get the Quick Service Dining Plan. This will "lock you in" just as much as the DDP in that you'll have pre-bought all your meals and will have to use what you bought. Also, as with most dining plans, unless you can get it at a discount, you're almost definitely paying more for the plan than you would if you bought the food a la carte.

I would not let fear of reservations prevent you from eating table service. Yes, there are some places you will most likely find impossible to get into without a reservation such as Le Cellier. But there are also some great places that don't take reservations (Big River Grille & Brewing Works and Beaches and Cream among them) and also some great restaurants that usually have reservations available just a day or two in advance, or possibly even day of (such as Biergarten at Germany). For more, see Best Disney World Restaurants When You Don’t Have A Reservation! | the disney food blog and The Most Popular Disney World Restaurants (And Alternatives When They’re Full) | the disney food blog

Also, don't be afraid to "try your luck" at scoring a hot reservation just a day or two beforehand or even day of! Last year I was able to get a dinner reservation at Via Napoli at 6pm, just a few weeks after it opened, by calling just a day ahead! Last minute cancellations happen, so there's no harm in trying if you want to eat somewhere that requires a reservation.

And if you have even a tentative plan at what you'll do on what day, it's not wrong to make reservations now, and then, if necessary, be one of those last minute cancellations for someone else Unless it's a special dining experience or dinner show, there's no penalty for cancelling a reservation (and even if it is, you'll still be fine if you cancel w/ enough notice).
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast