Going In May...Have a few questions

Hey Hey,

So I'm going from May 17th - 25th with my mom and girlfriend. Hoping 9 days is enough time to see most things.

Weather - I read the average is 89... My mom really cant take the heat so is it a little cooler the first few weeks of may or just the same throughout May?

Restaurants/places to eat - I have my eye on a few places I'd like to check out. Also no sea food due to allergies.

Magic Kindom

Cinderella's Royal Table
    Is it worth the price? Is the experince hindered with the construction of FantasyLand going on?

Any other suggestions for MK

Epcot - Question first.... Any place that I can book to get preffered seating for Illuminations? Also any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

DHS - Planning on doing the 50's dinner. Anyone experience this?
    Also The Sci Fi Drive in.

Besides that I'm looking for any character dinning or special places that We can visit to eat that are unique and memorable.

Parks/Attractions/shows
    I'm a DLR vet my question is there certain things that are a not miss? Rides, shows, entertainment and so on. This also extends to other parts of the resort such as DTD and so forth.

I'm sure more questions will be coming to mind, but so far thanks in advance for all the help.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Going In May...Have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc View Post
    Weather - I read the average is 89... My mom really cant take the heat so is it a little cooler the first few weeks of may or just the same throughout May?
    It's going to be in the mid to upper 80s most of May. And then add in the Florida humidity, you can have temps like 85 with a heat index of 90. Plan for the humidity because that will zap your energy faster than the heat will. Be sure to drink lots of water and take advantage of air conditioning.

DHS
    - Planning on doing the 50's dinner. Anyone experience this?
    I ate lunch there once several years ago and liked it. Had the BIGGEST ham sandwich I've ever seen.

Also, in May, the Studios park holds its annual Star Wars Weekends, so if you're not a Star Wars fan, avoid that park the 18th through 20th as it will be swarming with Star Wars nerds.

• WDW will always be home.

So I'm going from May 17th - 25th with my mom and girlfriend. Hoping 9 days is enough time to see most things.
    That should definitely be a good amount of time.

Average of 89 sounds about right for when you'll be there. I'd recommend you follow aimster's advice and/or plan on visiting at a cooler time of year if the heat is that big of a deal for your mom. And as aimster pointed out, the humidity is what really makes it brutal. Sadly, Orlando is not SoCal.

Restaurants/places to eat - I have my eye on a few places I'd like to check out. Also no sea food due to allergies.

Magic Kindom

Cinderella's Royal Table
    Is it worth the price? Is the experince hindered with the construction of FantasyLand going on?

There are two reasons to eat at the Royal Table. One is if you have daughters who would be over the moon because they got to eat in Cinderella's castle with princesses. The other is to say you ate in Cinderella's castle. Other than that, this is one to avoid. It's expensive, near impossible to get a reservation, the food is mediocre (at best), and there is literally no view. There are only stained glass windows, which you can't see out of.

Suffice it to say, unless you're travelling with daughters or really want to be able to say you ate in the castle, this is one to avoid. If you want to dine with Princesses, Akershus (Norwegian buffet at Epcot) and 1900 Park Fare (buffet at Grand Floridian Resort) both have better food.

Any other suggestions for MK
    MK as a park is not known for its dining for good reason. The Plaza Restaurant is pretty good - along with Trail's End (Fort Wilderness), it's one of the cheapest TSRs on property, and the food is good - not outstanding but good. You'll find one of the best burgers and shakes on property here, and everything's reasonably priced. Tony's Town Square might be the most universally poorly reviewed restaurant on property so I'd stay away from it.

Epcot - Question first.... Any place that I can book to get preffered seating for Illuminations?
    Yes. Rose and Crown at UK is a great option - good food; great view of Illuminations. If it's not crowded, you may not even need to book during the Illuminations time frame. Often you can just show your receipt from an earlier dinner seating and they'll allow you onto their patio to watch Illuminations. The new La Hacienda de San Angel is also an option, but I've not eaten there for dinner so I can't comment on the food/experience.

Also any suggestions are greatly welcomed.
    It's hard to go wrong at Epcot - table service or quick service. Unless you want standard American theme park fast food, I'd stay away from Electric Umbrella and Liberty Inn. Tutto Italia is kind of inconsistent. Other than that, everything here is great, depending on your tastes. Personal favorites include Chefs de France for lunch where you get a visit from Remy, Via Napoli, Biergarten, and San Angel Inn.

DHS - Planning on doing the 50's dinner. Anyone experience this?
    Also The Sci Fi Drive in.
    Both of these are similar in that they're "experience" restaurants with (IMHO) "just good" food. The food isn't bad, but it's not outstanding either. Prime Time '50s can be a lot of fun, but it depends on your server. Sci-Fi Drive In is a personal favorite, but it tends to be a place that people either love or hate. YMMV.

Besides that I'm looking for any character dinning or special places that We can visit to eat that are unique and memorable.
    Please see my post in this thread. I'd especially highlight Whispering Canyon Cafe and Hoop De Doo Revue as "unique and memorable" (and also probably hilarious!)

Parks/Attractions/shows
    I'm a DLR vet my question is there certain things that are a not miss? Rides, shows, entertainment and so on. This also extends to other parts of the resort such as DTD and so forth.
    Most DLR vets find World Showcase to the be the highlight for them. I'm a "WDW native" and it's still the highlight for me. I'd set aside a fair amount of time for that. You'll definitely want to see Off Kilter (Canadian/Celtic rock group in between UK and Canada at World Showcase) and The Voices of Liberty (American a capella group at The American Adventure in World Showcase). Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical (both at Animal Kingdom) are two shows you don't want to miss.

Obviously, you'll want to ride the attractions that are unique to WDW, but (briefly, off the top of my head) certain WDW version attractions that are significantly different from the DLR counterparts and you should also check out are:
    -Haunted Mansion
    -Splash Mountain
    -Space Mountain
    -Tower of Terror

I'm sure more questions will be coming to mind, but so far thanks in advance for all the help.
    Good luck!! Let us know!
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• WDW will always be home.

So I realized I left out some very relevant information when talking about MK dining earlier. As stated earlier, I'd stay away from Tony's and the Royal Table. The Plaza is good - not the best meal you've ever had, but not bad and very, very cheap for a Disney TSR. There are two other TSRs in the park that are worth discussing. The Crystal Palace is a "standard" character buffet (like Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, and Hollywood & Vine). I call them standard because the food selection and quality is just about the same at all of them - it's a place to go if you want to eat a lot of "just good" food. Not out of this world, but not bad. The only thing that differentiates the standard character buffets are location and characters. The Crystal Palace is in the MK (obviously) and has Pooh characters.

Liberty Tree Tavern is probably the best TSR in the MK, both in terms of food quality and overall theme/experience. It's one of the better non-signature TSRs. Lunch is a la carte and dinner is family style. At lunch they have what many consider to be one of the best burgers on property. At both meals they have a dessert with a (IMHO deserved) cult following - the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake.

All of the QSRs at the MK are about the same. Some people swear the hot dogs "just taste better" at Casey's and many say the same about the burgers at Pecos Bill's. Personally I'm a fan of the Columbia Harbour House both because of the selection (chicken and seafood) and because it has a second floor with no elevator. That means it's difficult for strollers to make it up there and it's usually a very quiet, relaxing place to grab a quick service meal. One of the upstairs dining areas forms a "bridge" overtop the walkway from Fantasyland to Liberty Square which is especially secluded and a great place to people watch.

You may also want to consider hopping the resort monorail to eat at the Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian - it's a quick and easy trip from the MK with some great dining options - highlights would be The Wave at the Contemporary (a foodie favorite - emphasis on fresh, locally grown foods), California Grill at The Contemporary (signature restaurant, beautiful view of the Magic Kingdom from the top of the Contemporary, California fusion style dining), Ohana's at The Polynesian (all you care to eat salad, shrimp, pork, and steak - all with a Polynesian flavor), Citricos at The Grand Floridian (signature restaurant, excellent Mediterranean dining), Narcoossee's at The Grand Floridian (another signature restaurant, specializes in seafood), and Victoria & Albert's at The Grand Floridian (the best Disney restaurant bar none, fixed price, formal attire required, very expensive, if you're not a foodie you may consider it "too fancy").

Please let us know if you have any other questions!
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney