First timer to WDW -- is Epcot as boring as it looks?

Longtime DLR visitor (So Cal native) and I'm going with my daughter to Orlando while my wife's on a business trip there. We're definitely doing Universal/Harry Potter, and I felt like we have to go to WDW while we're there. But, as I'm looking at all the information about the parks, I don't really see many compelling reasons to go to ANY of them...

MK is essentially Disneyland with some slight differences.
    DHS doesn't offer much beyond California Adventure
    DAK DOES look kind of interesting, but everyone describes it as a "half-day park", which doesn't sound like a very good deal for the admission price...

and then there's EPCOT, where I've wanted to go since I was a kid and it first opened. As I've been researching my trip, I've been shocked to find there doesn't appear to be much of anything worth doing there...there are what, 6 rides? (and Test Track will be closed for refurbishment while we're there). My wife went as a kid, and said she was bored out of her mind there. Tons of restaurants and "presentations", but at these ticket prices, I can't see paying hundreds of dollars for us to go on 5 rides!

Some WDW regulars, help me out...is EPCOT really worth bothering with?

• Race Car Driver

Re: First timer to WDW -- is Epcot as boring as it looks?

I like Epcot. Too bad test track will be closed. We always have fun there. I prefer Epcot to Animal Kingdom. MGM is fun too... If you can only go to one of the parks I would say MGM then Epcot. I dont know what your budget is...... I would do Universal we like Disneyland better than Disneyworld......
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shrinker View Post
    Longtime DLR visitor (So Cal native) and I'm going with my daughter to Orlando while my wife's on a business trip there. We're definitely doing Universal/Harry Potter, and I felt like we have to go to WDW while we're there. But, as I'm looking at all the information about the parks, I don't really see many compelling reasons to go to ANY of them...

DAK DOES look kind of interesting, but everyone describes it as a "half-day park", which doesn't sound like a very good deal for the admission price...

and then there's EPCOT, where I've wanted to go since I was a kid and it first opened. As I've been researching my trip, I've been shocked to find there doesn't appear to be much of anything worth doing there...there are what, 6 rides? (and Test Track will be closed for refurbishment while we're there). My wife went as a kid, and said she was bored out of her mind there. Tons of restaurants and "presentations", but at these ticket prices, I can't see paying hundreds of dollars for us to go on 5 rides!

I'm not a regular, but we go every 2 to 3 years. There's a lot that could be said here, but EPCOT marches to a different beat than most other theme parks. I have adored it since I first walked in it as a wee one. The park's music & ambiance, the cleanliness of FutureWorld, all the nooks/crannies of the World Showcase are something I really look forward to each trip.

The only thing missing for me is that paradise on Earth they used to call Horizons. <3 <3 If you can dream it, you can do it.

What gives it its originality I think is that Walt died before his true vision for it could be completed (experimental prototype community of tomorrow), and you had his successors scrambling to figure out what to do with it. Some might call this a weakness, but I think it resulted in something really special that otherwise would've never came to be.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shrinker View Post

Well to speak on WDW, here's a kind of visitors guide for people from DL from a WDW annual visitor;

MK: Your right they have a lot of SIMILAR rides but what i find is the best part of going to MK from DL or vice versa is experiencing all the differences in the attractions. Its a really refreshing new look at different things you thought you knew. Its like a fun game where you can compare and contrast and see which one you like better at each park, just remember almost none of the attractions that are at disneyland and magic kingdom are exact clones. you also have country bears here that is no longer exists out west, people mover, hall of presidents and a few other experiences that are worth a view. Finally the biggest difference if ure coming from DL is actually exploring the detail and themeing of the park. WDW feels huge in comparison and there are plenty of nooks and craneys to check out (especially now with the new Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game they should be rolling out while ure there and your kids should love that it looks very cool). Also for the most part it has more elaborate queues to check out so theres a whole lot to see and do that is different from DL and totally worth admission.

DHS: There is a lott that DHS offers beyond DCA. first off Rockin roller coaster is the biggest attraction they don't have and is a great albeit short ride. next the DHS ToT is a million times better then at DCA trust me on this one, i dont want to give it away but its just awesome. of course then u have Muppets, and toy story but that's where similarities end. Highlights for you and your daughter would included the two stunt shows (especially lights motors action best stunt show iv'e ever seen), the great movie ride (there's really no ride Iv'e been on quite like it, American idol experience (if your daughter likes that kind of thing, i just like going and watching real people from walking in the park perform), and the restaurants 50s prime time and sci fi dine in (take her to one of these restaurants, great simple food and an awesome experience). there is more obviously but thats kind of the big stuff for DL people.

DAK: Your right, it really is interesting because there's no other theme park experience out there like it in my opinion. It can be a half day park but it can also be a 3/4 to full day park it all depends on how you go through it. If you stop to smell the roses, check out all the animal exhibits, see the details in everything, do all the attractions, you can easily get from 8 AM to 3-4 p.m. however if you tour it like you would any other theme park then yes it is a half day experience. It all depends on your likes/dislikes.

Epcot: well I may be biased because Epcot is my favorite park but yes it is totally worth a visit. for your daughter there's journey into imagination, finding nemo, turtle talk with crush, ect. main thrill rides that would be open like you said are soarin and mission space, but there are other interesting attractions that are fun and informative like universe of energy with ellen and bill nye and living with the land. The world showcase is more adult oriented but for kids there's the funny great new canadian movie, kidcot programs which kids love, and the kim possible challenge where you play an interactive game based on the namesake show. and dont get me started on the food, the variety of good food is awesome and just walking around eating and drinking is an attraction within itself.

again with all of these parks i have to reiterate walking around exploring the details is half the fun, go to all the parks and see for yourself the differences and how fun they really are. Keep in mind if you can exploring the resorts downtown disney and the water parks and recreational activities if you can because they are all attractions within themselves and most are worth spending the time to go see.