• DisneyFan

Travel between resorts

Hi all.
    My Extended family is planning a trip to WDW this summer, and my wife's sister and her family are DVC members, so they are providing the lodging for the majority of the trip. However, my wife, our 1 1/2 year old son and I are staying for an extra day and night at the end of the trip. The rest of the family is not too interested in Harry Potter stuff, but I certainly am, and I was wondering a couple of things.

1) Is Wizarding World and the rest of Islands of Adventure worth it, or would it be like paying for a ticket to WDW and just hanging out in Fantasyland all day? Anything worthwhile for a little guy to do?
    2) How hard is it to get from WDW to Universal if we don't plan on renting a car?
    3) Should we stay our final night at the Disney Resort someplace, or find accommodations elsewhere? Would this make 2) easier?

This last day with just my immediate family happens to fall on Father's Day, and I'd love to go to WW for it, but wonder if it would be a waste of money once I was done with Hogwarts and it's environs.

Thanks!

• Minion

Re: Travel between resorts

Quote Originally Posted by RootBoy42 View Post
    Hi all.
    My Extended family is planning a trip to WDW this summer, and my wife's sister and her family are DVC members, so they are providing the lodging for the majority of the trip. However, my wife, our 1 1/2 year old son and I are staying for an extra day and night at the end of the trip. The rest of the family is not too interested in Harry Potter stuff, but I certainly am, and I was wondering a couple of things.

1) Is Wizarding World and the rest of Islands of Adventure worth it, or would it be like paying for a ticket to WDW and just hanging out in Fantasyland all day? Anything worthwhile for a little guy to do?
    2) How hard is it to get from WDW to Universal if we don't plan on renting a car?
    3) Should we stay our final night at the Disney Resort someplace, or find accommodations elsewhere? Would this make 2) easier?

This last day with just my immediate family happens to fall on Father's Day, and I'd love to go to WW for it, but wonder if it would be a waste of money once I was done with Hogwarts and it's environs.

Thanks!
    1) in my opinion yes. the other lands consist of marvel island so if you like superheros and comic books thats there. it sports some great thrill rides like Spiderman which is like the combination of a 3D motion simulator and a dark ride on steroids (the parks second best ride very closely behind harry potter and the forbidden journey), and the hulk one of the best roller coasters ive been on. then there is toon lagoon, which is where some of your favorite sunday morning cartoons and funny pages live, lots of cool stores and two great water rides if you want to get wet (or get other people wet with coin operated water jets (one themed to Rocky and Bullwinkle and the other to Popeye). after this there is Jurassic park where you can go on the river adventure and see the animatronic dinos, a really great ride with about a 90 someodd foot drop down a waterfall at the end to avoid a t rex. the land also has a pretty nice kids play area. then theres potter world which takes you across to the lost continent. not really any noteworthy attractions here but some very cool and unique items to buy at the market. finally there is seus landing which your son should love has a ton of kid friendly rides like cat in the fat and the sky trolley and is just a lot of fun in general so yes in my opinion its definitely worth a full day.

2) they are rather close together and you certainly don't need to rent a car. its as easy as hopping in a cab at the front of the resort and driving over. there are always cabs hovering around the resort entrances, and i think it cost last time something like $15-$20 to get there. drive is not long at all.

3) If you want you could transfer to one of the three universal resorts, the hard rock, Portofino bay, or Polynesian, the night before this would then allow you to get into the park an hour early and give you free fast pass in the parks that other people would have to purchase. it honestly makes a dramatically huge difference. for example Spiderman could easily have a 70 min standby line on an average day and with the fastpass privileges you would get on in about 3-5 mins instead, its that dramatic. the only ride you cant use this on unfortunately is harry potter but if you come for the early opening, you could probably ride it 3-4 times before the lines start to become crazy. so yes i would highly recommend staying in one of these resorts for a night or two. they are all fairly reasonably priced and would all be deluxe quality at disney. My advice would be to finish your last day at disney, drive over to your new hotel and settle in before dinner, then go to one of the great in hotel offerings or citywalk restaurants and get to bed early, then wake up and spend a fun day at islands of adventure and with the free fast pass privilege you might even have enough time to spend a few hours at the studios park and upgrade your ticket to a park hopper for about $40.

if you need any more recommendations or questions answered don't hesitate to ask

• Pilot EdForceOne

You can get a cab - but be prepared to spend a good bit for it. There are online taxi fare calculators for this..

A 1.5 yr old really isn't universal's target audience.. but there are areas for that age. USO has a whole kids section, and Dr Suess Landing in IOA is kid targeted. But there isn't a ton.

What I wouldn't do is pay for a night in a Disney hotel if you aren't going to be using the Disney perks. What you might want to look into is staying at Uni for your last night.. this way you get free express passes for your trip. If you have a few people in your party, this more than makes the Universal hotel rates worth it. Then you can look at taking something like a shuttle to the airport on the morning of your departure.

Something like.. if Thursday is your last day in Disney.. stay Thursday night at Disney.. then Friday morning goto Uni.. check into the hotel.. get your express passes.. goto the park for the day/evening.. check out in the morning and head to airport.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• DisneyFan

Thanks for the advice and tips! We're starting to make our plans and I'll take this into consideration.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am not sure if you are spending all of your vacation time with the rest of your family, or not. Here's a thought. Book a Disney Hotel for the last day of your trip, and since it is Father's Day, you and your wife can enjoy the day with your youngson at Disney. Spend it together in the favorite park that you have enjoyed together during your trip. Or simply relax and enjoy the hotel you have chosen for your last night. I, myself, would rather end my vacation in a relaxing manner, rather than relocating, and trying to fit in a few hours at another themepark destination.

Now somewhere during the earlier part of your trip, I believe that you can make arrangements for a shuttle to pick you up and take you to Universal. You can also drive there of course if you have a car. Not sure if your wife is interested in the Harry Potter experience or not, so perhaps you could get away by yourself, or with part of your family. Sometimes it is nice on a trip if all family members don't do absolutely everything together all the time.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.