Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WDW First-timer looking for the same old advice…

I apologize in advance for asking (what I am sure must be) the same questions that have been asked a million times before on these forums. I HAVE searched through the forums and found SOME answers, but… I figured it couldn’t hurt to just ask for help and clarification… and maybe some kind souls out there might be willing to point me in the right direction on a few things.

I am a Disneyland vet going to WDW for the first time in a few weeks (in parks May 19-26). This is a pretty last-minute trip, and I am not thrilled about it being so close to a holiday… but circumstances arose…ensued… were overcome…. And this is our only chance to go for quite a while… so the trip is on. We have a room booked at the Port Orleans Riverside.

My general plan is this (not in this order):

Spend one day at Harry Potter Land (Universal)
    Spend one day at Blizzard Beach
    Spend 2 days at Magic Kingdom
    Spend one day at MGM
    Spend one day at Animal Kingdom
    Spend one day at Epcot
    Spend one day…. Where ever we feel like returning to.

Here are some questions I have:

-Are there any special requests I should make for this hotel? (are there any recently remodeled (better) rooms, etc).

-What attractions are more or less identical to the DL counter-parts. I have no problem skipping the things that are exactly the same. But we are looking forward to riding the things that are “similar but different” (not too concerned about the minutia of the queues, either).

-Is there a place you could recommend that I look to see a simple list of the "E-ticket" rides at each park? To be honest, we don't feel the need to do "everything". We don’t have any small kids with us, so we are good to skip the Dumbo-type things. Of course, we still love Peter Pan, etc (and will do them, if they are any different)… but I have a feeling we are going to need to focus on the big things if we are limited to a single day at most of the parks.

-Are Ridemax/Touring Plans/Unofficial guides/etc WORTH IT when visiting WDW? I have tried all of them at DLR, and have found them… almost useless. However, I know that WDW is a different animal… so I am open to trying them.

-I glanced at the 2012 copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW and noticed some “touring plans” in the back. However, they did not have SPECIFIC times, or hours… so I am wondering if those plans are worth even considering.

-We are not generally show/parade people … but if there are any on par with Fantasmic at DLR, I would love to know. Fantasmic is great.

-At DLR, I make it a point to “collect Fastpasses” early on. Will this even be possible at WDW? Or are the attractions SO spread out that it will be difficult to really get as many Fastpasses as possible, as they become available?

-Is it possible to eat in the parks without making a ton of reservations? Is it too late to make RSVPs with our trip only two weeks out?

-Is there any restaurant in WDW that is comparable to the Blue Bayou for its uniqueness and ambiance?

-Are there a few universally praised restaurants that we should make a point to visit?

-We are not big eaters, so we plan to forgo the Dining Plan. We only plan to have a handful of expensive, table-service meals. It is reasonable to think that we can eat in the parks for less than $52 a person/a day (average) ? (we are not planning to make drastic efforts to bring our own food, etc… we just generally don’t eat as much as typical Americans).

-One of our group has a NUT ALLERGY (all nuts). Are we going to have major issues eating (at Epcot, for example)? I have found that a lot of foreign foods use more nuts than American food, in general…

-My group is planning to wake early each day and do as much as we can… but not stay out TOO late – getting rest each night so we can get up the next day and do it again, without TOO MUCH discomfort. This is why I think we will need to limit ourselves to the E-ticket stuff… Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Or would a night-centric approach yield more ride-time? (used to doing the morning thing, because at DLR this is how we snag all the fastpasses early on).

-I have heard that at WDW, it is best to AVOID the parks/days with Magic Mornings/extra hours because they are so much busier on those days. This this true?

Whew. I guess that is all.

I know this is a lot to ask (and I will probably think of a million more questions tomorrow), but if anyone feels like throwing advice my way...even just answering ONE question...., I would sincerely appreciate any help I can get. As I mentioned, this trip is very last-minute… and I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I am really just wide-open to suggestions on how to make the trip fun.

THANKS!
    -SF

• Minion

Re: WDW First-timer looking for the same old advice…

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    I apologize in advance for asking (what I am sure must be) the same questions that have been asked a million times before on these forums. I HAVE searched through the forums and found SOME answers, but… I figured it couldn’t hurt to just ask for help and clarification… and maybe some kind souls out there might be willing to point me in the right direction on a few things.

I am a Disneyland vet going to WDW for the first time in a few weeks (in parks May 19-26). This is a pretty last-minute trip, and I am not thrilled about it being so close to a holiday… but circumstances arose…ensued… were overcome…. And this is our only chance to go for quite a while… so the trip is on. We have a room booked at the Port Orleans Riverside.
    Hey, dont worry about it. always happy to help a first timer .

My general plan is this (not in this order):

Spend one day at Harry Potter Land (Universal)
    Spend one day at Blizzard Beach
    Spend 2 days at Magic Kingdom
    Spend one day at MGM
    Spend one day at Animal Kingdom
    Spend one day at Epcot
    Spend one day…. Where ever we feel like returning to.
    In my personal opinion for someone who has been to disneyland and not wdw, this is a pretty good schedule. epcot is usually a 2 day park at least, however if you skip soarin, which is identical, and test track which will not be open, future world will be a lot quicker to experience. I would still recommend though about a day and a half and epcot to really experience everything at a nice pace. perhaps you could take some of that time off the other part of your BB day or your whatever day. also for the universal day i might recomend a one night stay at one of the universal resorts to start or end your vacation. this will give you free express pass usage for the resort which is not only a huge savings but highly recommended as it can cut wait times up to 90 minutes in some cases. the difference is very drastic and its a great experience at any of the hotels so just some food for thought.

-Are there any special requests I should make for this hotel? (are there any recently remodeled (better) rooms, etc).
    well there are 3 types of rooms at riverside. the bayou is more rustic (think splash mountain kinda vibe), the manors are a southern plantation kind of vibe, and finally some of the manor rooms have been outfitted with the princess theme with the story of tiana inviting the princesses to stay with her. the latter are the newest rooms available however the majority of the rooms have been very recently updated. if your looking for a bayou room look for lodge numbers 14, 36, 37, 38, 24, 16, 17. for the manors, any of them are fine. River front view is always a nice touch though if you can swing it.

-What attractions are more or less identical to the DL counter-parts. I have no problem skipping the things that are exactly the same. But we are looking forward to riding the things that are “similar but different” (not too concerned about the minutia of the queues, either).
    identical attractions are soarin, muppets, star tours, midway mania, its tough to be a bug, Big Thunder Mountain and that's pretty much it, enjoy seeing the differences

-Is there a place you could recommend that I look to see a simple list of the "E-ticket" rides at each park? To be honest, we don't feel the need to do "everything". We don’t have any small kids with us, so we are good to skip the Dumbo-type things. Of course, we still love Peter Pan, etc (and will do them, if they are any different)… but I have a feeling we are going to need to focus on the big things if we are limited to a single day at most of the parks.
    look no further :

MK:
    EPCOT:
    DHS:
    AK: there are three big attractions, kilamanjaro safaris, expedition everest, and Dinosaur. from there relax, enjoy the shows and the exhibits, this park will fill your day but it will not be stressful to complete. it is a very nice change of pace.

-Are Ridemax/Touring Plans/Unofficial guides/etc WORTH IT when visiting WDW? I have tried all of them at DLR, and have found them… almost useless. However, I know that WDW is a different animal… so I am open to trying them.
    Unofficial guide to WDW is very useful in my opinion, my recommendation is go for that above any other book if your looking to purchase one.

-I glanced at the 2012 copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW and noticed some “touring plans” in the back. However, they did not have SPECIFIC times, or hours… so I am wondering if those plans are worth even considering.
    they are meant as rough guidelines for your day. the LAST thing you want to do when coming to WDW is become an obsessive planner people who try to bull rush WDW and act like the rambo of attractions miss out on a lot of the fun. if you miss an attraction its ok you can always come back again. just enjoy the ambiance and all of the special details that aren't as prevalent in the smaller disneyland.

-We are not generally show/parade people … but if there are any on par with Fantasmic at DLR, I would love to know. Fantasmic is great.
    Illuminations at epcot is a must as well as magic memories and you when they project images on the castle and the wishes fireworks. outside of that your not missing much (I'm not a parade person either).

-At DLR, I make it a point to “collect Fastpasses” early on. Will this even be possible at WDW? Or are the attractions SO spread out that it will be difficult to really get as many Fastpasses as possible, as they become available?
    it is very possible, however be careful about return times as the return windows are now strictly enforced.

-Is it possible to eat in the parks without making a ton of reservations? Is it too late to make RSVPs with our trip only two weeks out?
    well if you want to eat all quick service meals then no but at table service restaurants its very difficult to get in without a reservation. you should however still have plenty of reservation options two weeks out at some good restaurants both inside and outside the resort.

-Is there any restaurant in WDW that is comparable to the Blue Bayou for its uniqueness and ambiance?
    there are many WDW restaurants to choose from, far more and of better quality then that of DL's. the vast majority all have great ambience and food. for some unique experiences in park I would recommend san angel in mexico where you eat inside a Mayan temple that on the inside is outside, its tripy and a very cool experience, in DHS there's the scifi drive in where you eat in a car and watch old drive in films on a big screen, and many many others. make some choices and I'll relay you some information and opinions about the restaurants.

-Are there a few universally praised restaurants that we should make a point to visit?
    most of them you most likely wont be able to get a reservation for at this point however there is my native homeland canada and le celier, california grill in the contemporary resort, and citricos at the grand floridian, those are the kind of best locations you can hit on property without going to victoria and alberts which is like tuxedo fancy lol.

-We are not big eaters, so we plan to forgo the Dining Plan. We only plan to have a handful of expensive, table-service meals. It is reasonable to think that we can eat in the parks for less than $52 a person/a day (average) ? (we are not planning to make drastic efforts to bring our own food, etc… we just generally don’t eat as much as typical Americans).
    the long and short of it, no. I mean if your interested in eating fast food quality product then sure you could however throwing in table service food and counter service breakfasts and lunches of some quality would put you over that figure. As a Canadian I know the problem with American portion size lol so with a decent breakfast lunch and dinner and maybe a snack of some kind and beverages I would say to be totally safe plan on being between 60-75 dollars a day (this including beverages of the alcoholic nature)

-One of our group has a NUT ALLERGY (all nuts). Are we going to have major issues eating (at Epcot, for example)? I have found that a lot of foreign foods use more nuts than American food, in general…
    not at all, just tell your server. they are more then equipped to deal with this.

-My group is planning to wake early each day and do as much as we can… but not stay out TOO late – getting rest each night so we can get up the next day and do it again, without TOO MUCH discomfort. This is why I think we will need to limit ourselves to the E-ticket stuff… Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Or would a night-centric approach yield more ride-time? (used to doing the morning thing, because at DLR this is how we snag all the fastpasses early on).
    what I would do is go durring the morning, come back just after lunch and relax at the hotel, and then go out again at night. this is usually the best way to go about things however again just remember that if you get a fastpass you have to be back in the park in time for your window due to the new strict enforcement policy.

-I have heard that at WDW, it is best to AVOID the parks/days with Magic Mornings/extra hours because they are so much busier on those days. This this true?
    meh now that everyone knows about them its kind of a toss up of general opinion and most people spread evenly throughout all the parks. EMH's, particularly morning ones still do give you a nice advantage in getting things done though.

Whew. I guess that is all.

I know this is a lot to ask (and I will probably think of a million more questions tomorrow), but if anyone feels like throwing advice my way...even just answering ONE question...., I would sincerely appreciate any help I can get. As I mentioned, this trip is very last-minute… and I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I am really just wide-open to suggestions on how to make the trip fun.

THANKS!
    -SF
    hope that helped, if there's anything else or if you need clarification don't hesitate to ask, have a great vaca.

WOW.

THANK YOU GoofyDonald for taking the time to write all of that. It is appreciated more than you might imagine.

I only really have one follow-up question. Looks like you were going to fill in this list with the "best of the best" E-ticket rides, but didn't get back to it. Would love a short list like the one you wrote up for AK.

Thanks again! Feeling a little less stressed already.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post

look no further :

MK:
    EPCOT:
    DHS:
    AK: there are three big attractions, kilamanjaro safaris, expedition everest, and Dinosaur. from there relax, enjoy the shows and the exhibits, this park will fill your day but it will not be stressful to complete. it is a very nice change of pace.

• Banned User

Simplified suggestions:

Change MK from 2 days to 1 day, and go 2 days to EPCOT. MK is a big disappointment when compared with Disneyland. Don't waste too much time there. On the other hand, EPCOT is spectacular and Animal Kingdom is a gem. Nothing good to say about the Studios Park. Except for Tower of Terror, the rest is blah.

Eat one or two dinner service restaurants. Pick the best ones. Avoid the rest.

I agree about the touring plans. Just go to the parks like you do at Disneyland. Utilize fastpass as much as possible.

My group is planning to wake early each day and do as much as we can… but not stay out TOO late
    Try mixing and matching. I done the commando thing and was greatly disappointed. The thing is getting up early or staying out late is exhausting. You can't do both successfully. If you're an early morning person, getting up early is easy, but when you're on vacation, early mornings is a drag. Plus, you have to get breakfast and get a bus, which will all take valuable time. Perhaps your group can agree to eat breakfast on the run instead of going to the cafe.

I disagree with the advice about leaving the park and coming back in the evening. Unless you stay right next door to the park, it is a drag to return. Not everyone takes advantage of a mid-day nap or swim. In fact, if you want to use the pool, its better to use it in the morning, have lunch, and go to the parks at 3 or 4pm. Best to stay in the park from morning to early evening or early afternoon to evening. You'll have plenty of energy to do more in the next day. Or take a break and enjoy a half day at the park.
    Last edited by StevenW; 05-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.

• Nerd.

we have a room booked at the port orleans riverside.
    that's a nice moderate level hotel. I believe nearly all of the rooms have been remodeled, but i am not sure what sections are left (if any).

my general plan is this (not in this order):

Spend one day at harry potter land (universal)
    spend one day at blizzard beach
    spend 2 days at magic kingdom
    spend one day at mgm
    spend one day at animal kingdom
    spend one day at epcot
    spend one day…. Where ever we feel like returning to.

i would consider getting park hoppers. If staying a week at wdw, it is nice to go at rope drop at one park, take a break, and maybe explore another park in the evening. It also gives you more flexibility on dining choices if you aren't limited to one park per day.

here are some questions i have:

-are there any special requests i should make for this hotel? (are there any recently remodeled (better) rooms, etc).
    See above. I know some areas of the resort are designated "royal" rooms. I will pm you a link that you might find helpful regarding your resort. It will probably have way more info than you care to know! haha.

-what attractions are more or less identical to the dl counter-parts. I have no problem skipping the things that are exactly the same. But we are looking forward to riding the things that are “similar but different” (not too concerned about the minutia of the queues, either).

Check the sticky at the top of this board--link here. Hydroguy offers great tips! As a dl vet myself who moved to fl, i enjoy comparing all the rides to the west coast counterparts. While some might be better at one park vs. the other, it is still fun to catch the little details that make them different. For me personally, these are my more favorite versions at wdw: Splash Mtn. (even with some elements being broken...grrr), Haunted Mansion, Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Tower of Terror, Dumbo (new version w/ spectacular lighting at night), and the pirate-free Tom Sawyer island.

Note: These rides are currently closed when you are there for refurb-- Test Track and Thunder Mtn.

If time is not really on your side, I might suggest skipping these rides because they are nearly identical or not as good as at DLR: Soarin', Buzz, Toy Story, tea cups, IASW, snow white (though closing forever at end of month), Tomorrowland speedway, and tiki room.

-is there a place you could recommend that i look to see a simple list of the "e-ticket" rides at each park? To be honest, we don't feel the need to do "everything". We don’t have any small kids with us, so we are good to skip the dumbo-type things. Of course, we still love peter pan, etc (and will do them, if they are any different)… but i have a feeling we are going to need to focus on the big things if we are limited to a single day at most of the parks.

Check out the link I will send you.

-are ridemax/touring plans/unofficial guides/etc worth it when visiting wdw? I have tried all of them at dlr, and have found them… almost useless. However, i know that wdw is a different animal… so i am open to trying them.

I've used RM and both DLR and WDW and have had great success. I have heard mixed things with touring plans as of late, such as it not being updated and recommended days etc. Not necessarily being 'right.' I will say, i absolutely love easywdw. A guy named Josh runs the blog, and he has monthly crowd calendars with recommendations of which park to go to/avoid each day. He also has sample agendas based on how you want to tour. Definitely look at his may calendar to plan your particular park days. WDW is different than DLR in that waits tend to be a little longer (even in May) and a touring plan of some sort is a must. You might not want to have a touring plan that gives you a minute by minute run down of the park, but at least one that has you going to a recommended park of the day and a rough idea of how to prioritize ride order to make the most of your visit. If you want to truly maximize your time, plan on getting to the park before opening. That is key.

-i glanced at the 2012 copy of the unofficial guide to wdw and noticed some “touring plans” in the back. However, they did not have specific times, or hours… so i am wondering if those plans are worth even considering.

not really, i would either stick with a rough plan with easywdw or choose ridemax.

-we are not generally show/parade people … but if there are any on par with fantasmic at dlr, i would love to know. Fantasmic is great.

fantasmic is pretty cool at dhs, but to me, nothing beats seeing it on the roa at dl. I would see magical memories and wishes at mk, main st. Electrical parade (if you feel like you want to see an ol' friend), the water pageant on bay lake is fun if dining at contemporary/poly/grand floridian/wilderness lodge, illuminations at epcot, and nemo and lion king shows at ak are quite good. I also highly recommend seeing the specialty performers at the pavilions in the world showcase. They are all fantastic.

-at dlr, i make it a point to “collect fastpasses” early on. Will this even be possible at wdw? Or are the attractions so spread out that it will be difficult to really get as many fastpasses as possible, as they become available?

you can't really collect anymore as the return times are enforced.

-is it possible to eat in the parks without making a ton of reservations? Is it too late to make rsvps with our trip only two weeks out?
    of course, there are plenty of counter service options that are quite good. However, i would still recommend trying to make some adrs (advanced dining res). I would check out what is available online on the disney site, as you can make reservations there. This is much more of a priority here than at dlr. Much more. I bet you will still be able to score some good adrs. People cancel as well so check back often. I'll pm you a link to a site with good dining reviews etc.

-is there any restaurant in wdw that is comparable to the blue bayou for its uniqueness and ambiance?
    i love dining at wdw. If you want something similar to bb, i would recommend san angel inn at mexico's pavilion. My fave restaurants at epcot are in mexico, norway, germany, italy, france and canada (though le cellier is a nearly impossible adr to get this late in the game). I love a good beer at the rose and crown pub.

-are there a few universally praised restaurants that we should make a point to visit?

there are lots of great options, but i am not sure if you will get an adr with your trop being so close. Still, try try try!! California grill is lovely and reminds me a lot of napa rose. If you book for dinner, you can watch the fireworks at mk. I also hear good things about kona at poly (you can see fireworks there too and they pipe in the music as they do at the other resorts along bay lake). I already mentioned what i liked at epcot. I've heard nice things about liberty inn for dinner at mk. (avoid tony's at mk. Their version of italian food is like stouffer's frozen food.) at the akl resort, i really enjoyed the buffet at boma. I hear awesome things about jiko. In the hotels in the boardswalk area: I have heard good things about cat cora's kouzzina and yachtsman steakhouse. The dinner seafood buffet at cape may was good. Also heard raves at the grand floridian about narcoossee's and citricos (never been).

restaurants i have dined at but did not like: Sci fi and hollywood and vine at dhs (this is a park that doesn't get a lot of raves for sit down meals). Tony's at mk.

-we are not big eaters, so we plan to forgo the dining plan. We only plan to have a handful of expensive, table-service meals. It is reasonable to think that we can eat in the parks for less than $52 a person/a day (average) ? (we are not planning to make drastic efforts to bring our own food, etc… we just generally don’t eat as much as typical americans).

definitely pass on the dining plan if not big eaters. It really doesn't save you money unless you eat a lot. It is more of a way to pre-buy your food (even though you still have to pay gratuity) and then locks you into have dinner/dessert (assuming we are talking about the reg. Dining plan (not counter service or deluxe).

-one of our group has a nut allergy (all nuts). Are we going to have major issues eating (at epcot, for example)? I have found that a lot of foreign foods use more nuts than american food, in general…
    be sure to inform the waiter. I know that if you call a restaurant in advance and also note in an adr, the chef can make something to suit the person with the allergy.

-my group is planning to wake early each day and do as much as we can… but not stay out too late – getting rest each night so we can get up the next day and do it again, without too much discomfort. This is why i think we will need to limit ourselves to the e-ticket stuff… does this seem like a reasonable approach? Or would a night-centric approach yield more ride-time? (used to doing the morning thing, because at dlr this is how we snag all the fastpasses early on).
    like i said before, definitely do rope drop to maximize your time. I wouldn't solely fixate on e ticket rides because then you will miss the smaller attractions that have stuff to offer as well. Be sure to drink lots of water and take breaks. You will walk way way way way more than you ever do at dlr. Things are much more spread out and the fl heat and humidity will take its toll on you. That is why i recommend park hoppers. Stay at the park till early afternoon, head back to por and enjoy the pool. Head back out to the parks for dinner etc. Wear comfie, worn-in shoes and soak your feet at night. A trip at wdw is a work out!

-i have heard that at wdw, it is best to avoid the parks/days with magic mornings/extra hours because they are so much busier on those days. This this true?
    i would go with what easywdw recommends. Though, i have gone to mk for night emh and i have enjoyed it. (this is why i rec park hopping. Go to the recommended park for the day, take a rest, and then hit up the emh park in the late hours. I have been to mk when it didn't close till 3 or 4am. I know you don't want to stay out late, but it was awesome. Some rides we didn't even have to get off. We could ride over and over again. We got soaked with 4 rides on sm without even leaving the log!)
    check for my pm!
    Last edited by tofubeast; 05-09-2012 at 10:17 AM.

• Banned User

I recommend the MK Castle for brunch. At EPCOT, I enjoyed Akersus in Norway. At Studios, The Brown Derby is terrific.

Try not to overspend for breakfast and lunch. I recommend you buy them at a convenience store and keep them in your in-room refrigerator (if available). Keep bottled sodas as well since Disney charges over $3.00. A dollar saved is less sticker shock.

• Nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I recommend the MK Castle for brunch. Cinderella's Royal Table is a very difficult ADR to get, nevermind 2 weeks before trip. But you never know. Maybe some pixie dust (i.e. a cancellation) will come along for them! At EPCOT, I enjoyed Akersus in Norway. I love this place too for dinner. At Studios, The Brown Derby is terrific. Never been, but I really want to try their infamous grapefruit cake!

Try not to overspend for breakfast and lunch. I recommend you buy them at a convenience store and keep them in your in-room refrigerator (if available). Keep bottled sodas as well since Disney charges over $3.00. A dollar saved is less sticker shock.
    I suggest also bringing in bottles of water with you and then refilling them during the day while at the park.

• Minion

WHOOPS lol must have totally blanked there allow me to continue

AK (cont.): as for a plan of attack, go to the safari first, the animals are most active in the morning. then go straight to everest and it will still be a small wait, after that just enjoy the park and go about it as you wish enjoying the experience. Dinosaur is easy to fastpass or has a small wait most of the day most of the time, just monitor wait times every once and a while. other then taking in the park itself, the shows are highly recommended. the lion king includes elements of the broadway production, cirque de solie like stunts, and puppetry its a very fun show. finding nemo follows similar lines with a heavier focus on intricate life like puppets and flights of wonder is a great bird show if your interested in seeing the live animals up close. for dining counter service check out the flame tree barbecue (some of the best on site) or Yak and yeti, (some americanised asian fair)

DHS: there are many duplicates you have already seen at DL here so this park will take you less time then it would the average person. the first thing i would do if i were you would be to hit up the far superior wdw tower of terror and rockin roller coaster on sunset blvd. from there your day should be far more relaxed as they are the only rides that you will need a fastpass for and are not duplicates. a huge bonus of this for you will be multiple morning rides on these attractions as the first thing everyone does is run for midway mania. after this attractions you really should visit include the great movie ride, lights motors action, indiana jones stunt show, and one mans dream. if you have time and haven't seen all of the simulations yet then obviously star tours is always fun and the outdoor part of the queue is cool to see. outside of this another noteworthy thing i would recommend is lunch at 50's prime time diner, sci fi drive in, or brown derby. Brown derby is a replica of the original and is a more upscale experience if you feel in the mood, 50's and sci fi are both really fun and almost attractions in and of themselves with both serving quality dishes. the choice is yours but i would really include one of these in your day at DHS.

Epcot: My favorite park. here there are two sections future world and world showcase. in future world check out mission space, living with the land, the seas with nemo and friends, ellen's energy adventure, innoventions, and journey into imagination in that order of importance. then off to the best part of the park, world showcase. here just walk around and slowly enjoy the atmosphere of each country where there are plenty of impromptu street performances, little nooks and crannies to explore, and shops with interesting cultural items. many of the countries have circle vision or small films about them and many are great, the best being Oh Canada hosted by Martin Short and Impressions de France. there are also a few rides in there as well including malestrom and the grand fiesta tour in norway and mexico respectively. finally there is the big animatronics show, the american adventure, in the american area and it is not to be missed. for dining this is the place to be, period, the best theme park dining selection in the world is right here. book a table service dinner at one of the country's restaurants now or at the walking distance boardwalk (another cool place to check out). as for lunch there's a cool activity I like to do that is one of my favorite thing's to do in any theme park called eating and drinking around the world. instead of sitting down for a typical lunch, as you slowly make your way around enjoy a drink and food choice from one of the counter service locations. you can enjoy an appetizer or snack or split with someone while enjoying the country's famous beer, cocktail, wine, what have you. it is extremely fun with a group, relaxing, and a great way to spend you time in the park. if you would like a list of my favorite choices ask and I'll post one up for you.

MK: this will mainly be an experience in comparing and contrasting for you at this park as there are many attractions here to compare with your home park. for interesting differences I would recommend you check out Buzz lightyear's, Haunted mansion, small world, jungle cruise, pooh, pan, pirates, snow white should still be open, space, and splash. also check out our unique attractions, people mover, stitch, laugh floor, carousel of progress, and especially philharmagic and the country bear jamboree. fast passes are key for the mountains obviously, peter pan, and pooh, however night time EMH are probably the most valuable at this park. pirates can be a 30-45 min wait during the day for example but by sunset it can be down to 15 and later in the night its a walk on every time. another tip, try the sorcerers of the magic kingdom game that was just put into the park, supposedly it is great and very addictive along with the fact that it takes you to parts of the park you may not go to other wise, helping to uncover the treasures of all the minute detail in the park. for a plan so to speak go to space or splash mountain at the start of your day grab fast passes and ride, then go to fantasyland and ride those attractions, otherwise just enjoy yourself and see where your wants take you. for dining its pretty scarce at MK the vast majority is mediocre to low quality food. if you want a quick service lunch hit casey's corner or pecos bills and for dinner try taking your break then, heading to the resort and on your way back to the park grab a table service dinner at a monorail restaurant such as chef mickey's buffet style at contemporary, Ohana at Polynesian for a great Hawain BBQ, or any of grand Floridian's restaurants for a more upscale meal.

a final tip, if you have an i phone download the wdw lines app, it tells you the wait times for every attraction in the resort, it is a huge lifesaver. if theres anything else ask away .

Thanks again for all the help. Going to start forming a plan... and will come back if I get stuck.

Just a few more questions:

Is there anywhere worth eating inside the water parks? If we end up using the dining plan, and we spend a day at the water park... what do people generally do with their dining credits on such days?

Also... If we get the "water parks and more" perk ... and we want to visit DisneyQuest, at some point in our trip.... entering DisneyQuest does not count as admission to a park, does it? Whereas entry to a water park DOES... ? Just seeking clarification.

• Minion

Just a few more questions:

Is there anywhere worth eating inside the water parks? If we end up using the dining plan, and we spend a day at the water park... what do people generally do with their dining credits on such days?

Also... If we get the "water parks and more" perk ... and we want to visit DisneyQuest, at some point in our trip.... entering DisneyQuest does not count as admission to a park, does it? Whereas entry to a water park DOES... ? Just seeking clarification.
    In my opinion, I think your dining credits/dollars are better spent at either a restaurant somewhere else in the resort. the best approach in my opinion for going about the water parks is going in the morning and leaving around lunch time, just when the crowds are about to peak. this way you get through most of if not all the attractions when the park isnt busy and still have a half day to enjoy something else. go to the water park, grab asmall snack of some kind, have a light lunch back at the resort, regroup, and head out to say epcot for illuminations and dinner at a nice restaurant (some epcot restaurants have patios on the water so you can watch the show while you eat) or downtown disney for some shopping and dinner at one of the nice restaurants in that area (raglan road, fultons).

Yes disney quest counts as an admission to one of the water parks. if I remember correctly you get one admission per park ticketed day so you will still be totally fine for admissions unless you plan on visiting a water park every day. in my opinion though, your money is much better spent on the park hopper option then water parks and more as the water parks are certainly worth it however disney quest is not as cool and fun as it used to be and looks quite beaten up, that's just my opinion though. if you wish to visit a park and disney quest get park hopper and water parks and more additions, they will save you money and make your trip more enjoyable.

• Banned User

You won't be spending a full day at the water park unless you want to look like a red lobster. As enjoyable as they are, you'll likely spend 2 to 4 hours there. Save your credits for dinner or breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    In my opinion, I think your dining credits/dollars are better spent at either a restaurant somewhere else in the resort. the best approach in my opinion for going about the water parks is going in the morning and leaving around lunch time, just when the crowds are about to peak. this way you get through most of if not all the attractions when the park isnt busy and still have a half day to enjoy something else. go to the water park, grab asmall snack of some kind, have a light lunch back at the resort, regroup, and head out to say epcot for illuminations and dinner at a nice restaurant (some epcot restaurants have patios on the water so you can watch the show while you eat) or downtown disney for some shopping and dinner at one of the nice restaurants in that area (raglan road, fultons).

Yes disney quest counts as an admission to one of the water parks. if I remember correctly you get one admission per park ticketed day so you will still be totally fine for admissions unless you plan on visiting a water park every day. in my opinion though, your money is much better spent on the park hopper option then water parks and more as the water parks are certainly worth it however disney quest is not as cool and fun as it used to be and looks quite beaten up, that's just my opinion though. if you wish to visit a park and disney quest get park hopper and water parks and more additions, they will save you money and make your trip more enjoyable.
    I hear you about DisneyQuest. My 11 year old is intent on "designing his own roller coaster"... so we will likely bite the bullet and go anyway. My guess is that he will be a bit disappointed by the place, overall. But... he's a kid.

---------- Post added 05-11-2012 at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    You won't be spending a full day at the water park unless you want to look like a red lobster. As enjoyable as they are, you'll likely spend 2 to 4 hours there. Save your credits for dinner or breakfast.
    Good point. Thanks. We will make sure to bring a lot of sunscreen.

• Nerd.

You can design your own thrill ride at EPCOT as well in the Innoventions area. It's called Sum of all Thrills; thereby, allowing you to avoid Disney Quest. I use the word "avoid" as I am not a fan of DQ.

• Minion

I hear you about DisneyQuest. My 11 year old is intent on "designing his own roller coaster"... so we will likely bite the bullet and go anyway. My guess is that he will be a bit disappointed by the place, overall. But... he's a kid.

---------- Post added 05-11-2012 at 10:46 AM ----------

Good point. Thanks. We will make sure to bring a lot of sunscreen.
    haha fair enough, if you do go be sure to check out some of the other simulator attractions, they are pretty cool albeit need a bit of love. as said by the previous poster there is a create your own roller coaster attraction in epcot at innoventions if your interested in that. again if your looking for anything else, you know where to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast