Smile Upgrading to Premier Passport

We're planning a trip of 5 to Disney world this year, 3 of us have Deluxe pass to disneyland. Will upgrading to premier passes save us money? Does this give us discounts to hotel and more?

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Upgrading to Premier Passport

Quote Originally Posted by Johana95 View Post
    We're planning a trip of 5 to Disney world this year, 3 of us have Deluxe pass to disneyland. Will upgrading to premier passes save us money? Does this give us discounts to hotel and more?
    Well, it depends on quite a few variables; first and foremost, how long is your trip? Where do you plan to stay & eat? How much merchandise do you plan on purchasing?

You can get AP rates at Disney hotels, but it's not something that's well advertised. Generally, you need to call and ask for AP rates about 3-4 months in advance of your trip. If they tell you the AP rates haven't been released yet, keep calling every few days until you find out they've been released. This could save you a bit.

You'll also get a 20% merchandise at all Disney owned retail locations on property, and a 10% discount at a few (very limited) dining locations. Having an AP also makes you eligible for Tables In Wonderland, which costs $75 for a one year membership for an AP holder, but gets you a 20% discount at all Disney-owned table service restaurants, some non-Disney-owned table service restaurants, and all quick service restaurants at DAK and the value resorts - only one person in your party needs Tables In Wonderland for all of you to get the benefit (as long as you're paying on one check).

More on the benefits here. All in all there's a fair amount of math to determine whether or not it'll be worth it for you, but hopefully that helps you get started.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 06-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I go there annually and I think it is worth it. If anything just upgrade one atleast to get the discounts then buy tickets for the rest of the family. I went during off season and saved $1650 on the hotel alone
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Having an Unbirthday

Quote Originally Posted by Johana95 View Post
    My wife and I recently upgraded our Disneyland Resort Premium passes to the bi-coastal Premiere passes for the same reason!

We are booked for a November trip, and the Magic-Your-Way tickets would have been about $100 more than it cost us to upgrade the passes. So right there is some savings.

Total up how much it would cost to upgrade your 3 Deluxe passes to the Premiere passes, then compare them to the cost of park tickets with all your bells and whistles added in (park-hopper, water parks, etc). If the park tickets are more, then go for it! You can upgrade directly at the Disneyland ticket booths. And then enjoy Disneyland/DCA as well, because the Premiere passes act as Premium passes for all parks!

We found out last time in 2010 that Disneyland pass discounts apply at WDW, and the same is true for the Premiere pass. Plus the discount information found in the link PSUMark provided.

I hadn't heard about AP rates for hotel rooms, I should look into that closer to our trip!
    I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

PRIOR to hotel discounts, the sweet spot for a family of 4 seems to be 7 days (with park hopper and water park options). Less than that it seems that you are better off not upgrading).

Some of this also depends upon how you are handling parking at DL. That might push the break even point to 6 days. Plus there is a big upside (it seems) to being able to enjoy the DLR parks on Saturdays rather than Sundays.

• Minion

I don't have much else to add, but also consider how the pass will work its way into your plans for Disneyland. With the Premier, you can go on weekends and will have free parking on both coasts.

I upgraded my Premium Pass in June. I renewed the Premium in May before the price increase and wanted to upgrade it after the price increase. Disneyland wanted to charge me $400. I upgraded it in Florida instead and they charged me only $200ish + tax.
    The Florida and California computer systems are not compatible (Or at least they were not then per Guest Relations) and they had no way of knowing that I purchased it before the price increase.
    My friend tried to do the same thing but he did not have his pass with him as his renewal pass got lost in the mail. Disneyland told him it would not be a problem just give FL his confirmation #, but Disneyworld would not upgrade him as they stated that they could not look up his pass as their computer systems were not compatible with Disneyland’s and they needed the old pass for accounting reasons as well, so they made him buy a ticket (9 Days) which was more than the upgrade would have cost. For me it was great though especially as I used it for Disney Quest as well.
    The free parking was great as well as my freind rented a car and we stayed off property.

I currently have a premium pass purchased before the price increase. If I wanted to upgrade to the premier do I have to pay the difference between what I paid and the current price or just the current difference?