WDW halloween overlays?

Hi all,
    We're thinking of a WDW Halloween trip this year. We have been to Disneyland at Halloween time, and we are wondering if WDW has ride overlays like Disneyland does?

Do they do anything like the haunted mansion overlay or the space mountain overlay?

Other than mickey's not so scary halloween party, do they decorate or change or modify any of the parks or do any other such changes in any of the parks similar to what Disneyland does?

Thanks,

Doug

• WDW will always be home.

Re: WDW halloween overlays?

Hi Doug,

There are decorations in the Magic Kingdom, but WDW in general does not do seasonal attraction overlays. There is no seasonal version of the Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain or "it's a small world", etc. at WDW. The Halloween Party is a ton of fun though (IMHO, it's the only hard ticket event that's worth it at WDW's MK) with some of the best entertainment you will find at WDW. Also, there are a few very minor added effects to the exterior of the HM and some augmented make-up for the CMs at HM during the Halloween Party.

Aside from Halloween, October is just a great time of year to go in general. The weather's just about perfect, crowds aren't too bad, and you've got the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot - in fact, October is my personal favorite month to go.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions!
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Hi all,
    We're thinking of a WDW Halloween trip this year. We have been to Disneyland at Halloween time, and we are wondering if WDW has ride overlays like Disneyland does?

Do they do anything like the haunted mansion overlay or the space mountain overlay?

Other than mickey's not so scary halloween party, do they decorate or change or modify any of the parks or do any other such changes in any of the parks similar to what Disneyland does?

Thanks,

Doug
    No modifications to rides... the closest thing you get to that will be special costumes for some of the meet and greets during the Not-So Scary Halloween Party.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Hi Doug,

There are decorations in the Magic Kingdom, but WDW in general does not do seasonal attraction overlays. There is no seasonal version of the Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain or "it's a small world", etc. at WDW. The Halloween Party is a ton of fun though (IMHO, it's the only hard ticket event that's worth it at WDW's MK) with some of the best entertainment you will find at WDW. Also, there are a few very minor added effects to the exterior of the HM and some augmented make-up for the CMs at HM during the Halloween Party.

Aside from Halloween, October is just a great time of year to go in general. The weather's just about perfect, crowds aren't too bad, and you've got the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot - in fact, October is my personal favorite month to go.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions!
    Yeah, we've been there in October in the past and really enjoyed that time of year. I was asking because my son loves Halloween and loves the overlays at DLR (he also loves the not so scary party there).

If we do end up going to WDW this year, I wanted to be able to prepare him for the disappointment of not having the overlays (easily offset by the longer trip to WDW which we don't do often given that we live in California :-)).

Oh, another question, does the Food and Wine festival have attraction for the non drinking types? We have never attended that.

Thanks for the info

Doug

• Banned User

Yeah, we've been there in October in the past and really enjoyed that time of year. I was asking because my son loves Halloween and loves the overlays at DLR (he also loves the not so scary party there).

If we do end up going to WDW this year, I wanted to be able to prepare him for the disappointment of not having the overlays (easily offset by the longer trip to WDW which we don't do often given that we live in California :-)).

Oh, another question, does the Food and Wine festival have attraction for the non drinking types? We have never attended that.

Thanks for the info

Doug
    I've done the Halloween party at both places and my best experience was at WDW... it doesn't have the overlays but in my opinion it was better decorated overall.

Not sure how old her son is, but you might check and see if they are offering the haunted pirates cruise, or something like that. It was a night time cruise for kids out of the Polynesian with a Halloween theme.

Food and wine festival is not what I would call a family friendly event. I try to avoid the area, to many people that don't know there limitations bumping into everyone around them.... the big draw of it seems to be for drinking wine more than anything else.

• WDW will always be home.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "attraction." The main appeal of Food & Wine is being able to sample ethnic cuisine and drinks that you may not frequently have the opportunity to enjoy in America. It primarily appeals to foodies and those who enjoy their alcoholic beverages. If you don't fit into either of those camps, then it basically just means a slightly more crowded World Showcase. But World Showcase is great with or without the F&W Fest, so in that sense, yes, there are attractions for the non-drinking types.

I've been to Food & Wine three times now (including the last two years) and personally never experienced the unruly guests and atmosphere that Thomas998 is describing, but YMMV.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney